What woo do you do.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2014, 11:28 PM
RE: What woo do you do.
(06-02-2014 11:21 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  In all my years as a mortician, I've never experienced anything paranormal, so my childhood belief in ghosts is dwindling. However, when I was around 6 or 7, I had a dream that a doll my mother made me came to life and told me my grandmother had died. When I woke my mom up to tell her, she yelled at me, but a few hours later we got the phone call. I wasn't particularly close to this grandma or anything. We were in a another state and hadn't seen her more then once or twice in the several years prior to her passing. Just weird shit. Undecided

Reminds me of a dream I had where I was going outside to get my oldest cat, but he looked at me with sad eyes and meowed painfully and I started to cry in-dream begging not to leave. The next weekend my dad told me he buried the cat after finding him dead in the garage.

Mom had a similar thing where she used to pray for a sick relative, but after a while stopped, and when she realized it, she found out the relative died around the time she stopped praying so there's that. She used it as an attempt to argue for god.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2014, 11:35 PM
(06-02-2014 11:28 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 11:21 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  In all my years as a mortician, I've never experienced anything paranormal, so my childhood belief in ghosts is dwindling. However, when I was around 6 or 7, I had a dream that a doll my mother made me came to life and told me my grandmother had died. When I woke my mom up to tell her, she yelled at me, but a few hours later we got the phone call. I wasn't particularly close to this grandma or anything. We were in a another state and hadn't seen her more then once or twice in the several years prior to her passing. Just weird shit. Undecided

Reminds me of a dream I had where I was going outside to get my oldest cat, but he looked at me with sad eyes and meowed painfully and I started to cry in-dream begging not to leave. The next weekend my dad told me he buried the cat after finding him dead in the garage.

Mom had a similar thing where she used to pray for a sick relative, but after a while stopped, and when she realized it, she found out the relative died around the time she stopped praying so there's that. She used it as an attempt to argue for god.

My mom got a kitten that died of a seizure while I was out of state and she didn't tell me. I got home a little earlier than expected, as soon as I walked in the door the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I don't know why, I was scared to death for no reason. I checked the whole house thinking there was someone inside or some malpresense, I found nothing. I still had that really uneasy feeling when I called and my mom told me what happened.
I still don't know why I had that feeling, I don't even like cats...

Atir aissom atir imon
06-02-2014, 11:58 PM
Street Lamps that go out when you approach them is little woo-ish. (if your ego centrist, and we all are a little bit)

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
07-02-2014, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2014 07:58 AM by Bucky Ball.)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-02-2014, 12:40 AM
Back in the early '80s I had a serious interest in ceremonial magic and My apartment was Woo Central. In addition to an altar with Golden Dawn-inspired implements on it, I had a comprehensive collection of occult books plus various divination tools -- Yarrow stalks for the I Ching, about a dozen Tarot decks, and even a small crystal ball. In the late 90s I had a Woo Renaissance and added a shitload of semi-precious stones in a huge glass bowl. Seriously, that bowl must've weighed something like 15 pounds and contained upwards of $500 worth of pretty rocks.

Now I'm down to a much smaller rock collection; a single, rather battered Rider-Waite tarot deck, which I keep more for old times' sake; a bag of hand-carved runes in a bag in the nightstand; an ebony wand; a sword with runes on the scabbard; and a dagger. (Oh, and My linen robe for ceremonial whatnot is still kicking around, but is being resewn into something a bit more casual.) The only thing I regularly use is the bag of runes, more as a brainstorming tool than anything else.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2014, 12:48 AM
I often get a strong sense of deja vu...

I'm pretty sure it's spurious though. Years ago I got stoned and was watching a movie that I'd never seen before with mates, and I was *certain* I knew exactly how the movie was gonna play out. I happened to be compos mentis enough to try and test, and eventually decided I was just post-fact convincing myself that I *had* predicted each plot twist... The deja vu experiences are the same - I'm pretty sure it's just my pattern recognition system going into overdrive.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-02-2014, 04:39 AM
(07-02-2014 12:48 AM)morondog Wrote:  I often get a strong sense of deja vu...

I'm pretty sure it's spurious though. Years ago I got stoned and was watching a movie that I'd never seen before with mates, and I was *certain* I knew exactly how the movie was gonna play out. I happened to be compos mentis enough to try and test, and eventually decided I was just post-fact convincing myself that I *had* predicted each plot twist... The deja vu experiences are the same - I'm pretty sure it's just my pattern recognition system going into overdrive.

Or it's just that all movies are similar nowadays Tongue
Not to mention that maybe you had seen the film and didn't remember it because of the pot/because you were half asleep when first watching it. Well, many ways to explain it anyway.

For people who have dreams about things that later happen, keep in mind that those dreams may be triggered by your environment. If you hear about a person being too old for example, you may have a dream that they died and if they are actually too old, they may die in reality too.

You also may hear things while you sleep which are then incorporated in your dream. For example, if someone talks about someone's death while you sleep, you may dream about it, but when you wake up you won't remember hearing it.

Anyway, I don't think I'm guilty of any woo. Strange coincidences and stuff don't do anything for me. My sister was talking about Ouija boards a few days ago and I was trying so hard to hold back and not tell her it's stupid Dodgy

However, there is one weird thing, but it's an experience my mother had and you can never be sure another person is not lying (even though my mum doesn't generally lie and she doesn't believe in anything paranormal either).

For years, she has been telling us about the lottery numbers she saw in her dream. She saw some numbers and remembered them clearly when she woke up. She was pregnant and she couldn't go buy a ticket, so she sent my dad, who was heading out at that moment. My dad came back without a ticket because it was raining and he hurried back home. Later, my mum saw that the numbers she had dreamed about were the lucky ones and she would have won a great amount of money if she had played.

Well, they did end up winning about 40.000$ some years later Drinking Beverage

Destiny? Tongue

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
07-02-2014, 07:47 AM
I've got to Love this thread!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
07-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Well, you'd only call it woo if you don't play golf, but the Golf Gods are capricious, vindictive, warped, and ironic. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
07-02-2014, 11:28 AM
(07-02-2014 11:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, you'd only call it woo if you don't play golf, but the Golf Gods are capricious, vindictive, warped, and ironic. Dodgy

I don't see the difference between your Gods and any other Gods I've heard of.
It's believable.

Besides, the paintball Gods are worse Tongue

Atir aissom atir imon