What wording should I use when coming out as an Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2013, 03:17 PM
RE: What wording should I use when coming out as an Atheist?
You could just wear a t-shirt around the house like....

[Image: t1_1478849a.jpg]

This is just a statement of fact.

Then you could move on to something a little more controversial when they get used to the first one.

[Image: t3.png]

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
14-11-2013, 06:08 PM
(13-11-2013 09:53 PM)Lawls Wrote:  I'm planning on coming out as an Atheist to my parents. My mother is a Christian, and my father is a Catholic. My sister is an Atheist as well, but my parents don't know that either of us are godless heathens. I'm finishing up with my education and am looking for employment. But I feel like being a closet Atheist is defeating the purpose, I really don't like religion, and I want to openly speak my mind about it. But I don't know what term to use, I feel that the word "Atheist" will feel too extreme to my parents. So I've been looking for a different way to say it. I'm worried I might be forced to go to a church or something if I use the wrong words. I really don't know how to say that I'm an Atheist. I've been dropping hints, about the immorality of the Bible and how it's not historically or scientifically correct. But they just tell me that the Bible never says those immoral things, they've never read it Shocking. So, I really don't know what term to use, should I just say "Atheist"?.

Hi there, depending on your age and financial situation, it may be more strategic to wait to have this talk. I've read too many stories of Christian parents hold their kids' own future hostage over this issue. It might be "we won't pay for your school if you believe that." Or "Unless you come back to Christ you aren't allowed in this house." Or "We don't see any reason to keep supporting you if you aren't even accepting god." So please keep that in mind.

If those concerns aren't yours, then I would suggest not using labels to start with. Just express general lack of belief and reason for lack of belief. If they ask if you think you are an atheist then I don't know, that is up to you how you wish to answer (again be strategic). But letting them know that you have come to a conclusion because of your own reasonings doesn't have to be like, "Mom, Dad, I'm an atheist!" Writing a note/letter is a popular approach, describe what you don't believe and what lead you to not believing.

It is also important to not make it seem like you are "unsure" of your position. Because I think that gives way to them seeing "ah hah! an opportunity to save!" Explain your position, your conclusion, and your boundaries on the subject. At that point just hope that they can respect you as an individual.

Oh and speaking poorly about religion on the first conversation is probably a bad idea! Haha.

And keep in mind they may very well be picturing you suffering in hell forever, so being sympathetic to that is something to consider.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck! Let me/us know how it goes.
14-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Just say 'I'm Atheist' and if they flip you off about it, flip them off right back.

I am not good at this type of thing.