What would Aliens look like?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2016, 11:09 AM
What would Aliens look like?
I was thinking the other day on Extra Terrestrial life. And an old idea came back up.

The images of Aliens seem to be limited by the self-centerness of man.

Grey's, Reptilians. Being the most popular among ET visitation believers. Hold very human characteristics. Even thou being bi-pedal is rather rare even among earth species. The majority of life on this planet has large variety of motion. The eye's are not always at the front of the head. Would life had evolved on a distant planet with the same results as earth? Climate, planets mass, planetary conditions would all have an effect of was may arise.

[Image: AlienAutopsy2.jpg]

[Image: Indigenous-Reptilian.jpg]

Even the god's that man has thought up look like us. Will man ever be able to get over this hurtle?

If an alien species did exist. What could be a strong contender aspect of what they would look like. Given what we know about creatures on this planet (not just humans) what would something we can predict would be expected from another planet.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2016, 11:16 AM
RE: What would Aliens look like?
Maybe we are the aliens.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
11-06-2016, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2016 11:31 AM by Heatheness.)
I think there are several reasons for the humanlike imaginations for aliens. One being that since human evolved to their loft place on our planet with all of these features people assume, and not without some merit, that on other planets these features would also aid in the evolutionary process that it would take to leave ones planet and venture out into the universe.

There are other religious based reasons (blech) because god chose this form so it must be superior and if god made aliens they too would be like us in many ways. It's also easier to communicate with like beings and for the "stories" sake communication must happen in order to move the story forward.

We are limited by our imaginations. One of the series I love from Alan Dean Foster is the "Thranx" series. They are insects that are about the size of a half grown child. The series starts out with only the Thranx but then humans come into the picture. I love ADF because of his ability to express what ideas would be from a non-human POV.

This is actually one of my favorite Sci-fi books.

[Image: Nor_Crystal_Tears.jpg]

As for what they would look like, I haven't a clue. I do think we'll find lower life forms before we'll find intelligent life though. The abundance of lower life forms on our own planet with only a small percentage of intelligent ones will, I think, hold true throughout the universe. Because if the reverse were true I think we'd know by now.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
11-06-2016, 11:32 AM
I believe one of them is living on top of Trump's bald head.
[+] 7 users Like julep's post
11-06-2016, 11:37 AM
(11-06-2016 11:32 AM)julep Wrote:  I believe one of them is living on top of Trump's bald head.

Damnit! You invaded my brain and took that very thought out of it.

I got nothin now.Dodgy

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
11-06-2016, 11:51 AM
(11-06-2016 11:16 AM)pablo Wrote:  Maybe we are the aliens.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 5 users Like Commonsensei's post
11-06-2016, 12:05 PM
I'm convinced that aliens would look like crossing Rosie O'donnel with a 30 ton injection molding press.....

Loud, obnoxious, big and smelly...............

And that's just the O'donnel half.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
11-06-2016, 12:12 PM
(11-06-2016 11:51 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 11:16 AM)pablo Wrote:  Maybe we are the aliens.

That's a ground hog.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2016, 12:13 PM
I'm partial to Lovecraftian aliens myself.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
11-06-2016, 12:30 PM
This question has fascinated me for decades. I've read sci-fi since I was in elementary school and the different theories of alien life really resonated with me.

Discussing aliens in regards to movies and tv: Gene Roddenberry summed it up nicely. When someone asked him why all the aliens in Star Trek were bipedal humanoids, he replied: That's what all the actors are."

The TV Tropes website has excellent breakdowns of all the common tropes for aliens in pop culture.

In Real Life: That's even more interesting. We are apparently the most intelligent species on earth. In addition to us, there are: dolphins, elephants, octopi, chimps, gorillas, orangutan and parrots. Some dogs are as smart as a human child, and crows have been observed making tools.

So just looking at the species on our planet there is a very wide range. Primates, avians, cephalopods, etc. Then, if you take into account the the bizarre species that appeared in the Cambrian Explosion, there could have been intelligent species that would look truly alien.

Of course, the more alien a species is, the more difficult it would be to communicate with.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post