What would Aliens look like?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2016, 01:20 PM
RE: What would Aliens look like?
I suspect intelligent and technologically advanced ones would look suspiciously humanoid, with special adaptations to their environment. I am not immune to that kind of bias. At the very least they would have arms(at least 2) for grasping and legs(at least 2) for locomotion. The eye also seems like a basic requirement.

James Cambias' novel A Darkling Sea has a fascinating species of tribal aliens evolved to live in an ocean not unlike the one hypothesized to exist on Europa. They have a highly evolved sensitivity to sounds, hot vents etc. As good a sci-fi read as I have seen in years.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
11-06-2016, 01:30 PM
(11-06-2016 12:30 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  This question has fascinated me for decades. I've read sci-fi since I was in elementary school and the different theories of alien life really resonated with me.

Discussing aliens in regards to movies and tv: Gene Roddenberry summed it up nicely. When someone asked him why all the aliens in Star Trek were bipedal humanoids, he replied: That's what all the actors are."

The TV Tropes website has excellent breakdowns of all the common tropes for aliens in pop culture.

In Real Life: That's even more interesting. We are apparently the most intelligent species on earth. In addition to us, there are: dolphins, elephants, octopi, chimps, gorillas, orangutan and parrots. Some dogs are as smart as a human child, and crows have been observed making tools.

So just looking at the species on our planet there is a very wide range. Primates, avians, cephalopods, etc. Then, if you take into account the the bizarre species that appeared in the Cambrian Explosion, there could have been intelligent species that would look truly alien.

Of course, the more alien a species is, the more difficult it would be to communicate with.

I remember reading Rocheworld a few years ago, which was written by physicist/sci-fi author Robert Forward. He made up a species called the Flouwen which were intelligent jellyfish-like aliens that inhabited the ammonia oceans of Rocheworld.

Really enjoyable book, none of it was too outlandish as Forward was a physicist, he invented a really unique alien.

Whatever an alien would look like, I'm sure it will be surprising, there's just too many variations that are possible within evolution and there are environments in which they have evolved that we haven't even imagined.

I still find Larry Niven's tiger-sized intelligent cat-like aliens in Ringworld; the Kzinti, one of my favorite sci-fi aliens.

[Image: kzin_seductress.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
11-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Probably look more like a water bear.

[Image: wbear1.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 6 users Like dancefortwo's post
11-06-2016, 01:35 PM
(11-06-2016 01:33 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Probably look more like a water bear.

Yay! They look like me. Tongue

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
11-06-2016, 01:37 PM
(11-06-2016 01:35 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 01:33 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Probably look more like a water bear.

Yay! They look like me. Tongue

They're kinda cute....sort of. That shout thingy looks like it's a man-made drain pipe. Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
11-06-2016, 07:43 PM
Goo, gunk, dribbly.
11-06-2016, 07:49 PM
[Image: hillary-clinton-donald-trump.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 9 users Like yakherder's post
11-06-2016, 07:55 PM
At work.

Typing 'Birrin' into Google images brings up interesting artwork. Smile
11-06-2016, 08:03 PM
(11-06-2016 07:49 PM)yakherder Wrote:  [Image: hillary-clinton-donald-trump.jpg]

[Image: YwlHXhK.jpg]

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 5 users Like Heatheness's post
11-06-2016, 09:50 PM
Science has stated that life seems to want to exist, just about everywhere. However, developed life, like what we see on Earth? It seems a bit more... specialized. For all this talk that we can have so many species that live as Extremophiles, there's also the implications that for what life we take for granted, such as ourselves? We seem to only exist due to very specific requirements. The climate is one factor, the moon, the planetary rotation (climate related), we're born of a star that had the right elemental beginnings, we're not too close to the core to be overly irradiated and not too far that we're host to a star that wouldn't have the elements needed. As the sun ages, it gets hotter, which changes climate, which edges us closer to extinction. The Moon's orbit degrades, thus weakening the system that responsible for making sure the Earth has a stable spin, and causes the tides that helps stir the soup needed for life. The Earth itself is just large enough to have a strong enough magnetic field to keep up from perishing just from cosmic rays, but it's not so strong as to reduce the energy that DOES hit the Earth to the point that plants wouldn't even grow.
You're looking at Earth only producing US, because it's basically as close as you can get to nature's equivalent to a Lab environment. With all we've discovered now, it's seemingly more and more probable that we will not find another life form like ourself unless we find a planet much like our own, one where the gravity isn't too high to squash us, isn't too low to cause the atmosphere to be too thin (not enough energy density), where there's a moon to balance the system, cause the active tectonics that help create new growth by spewing carbon all over the surface, one with a rampant amount of water and abundant oxygen, two substances that are needed in huge amounts in order to even justify a creature like us, with such a resource intensive and hungry brain.
There's every reason to believe that it's quite possible that most developing sentient life could very well be much like us; because what we're learning now seems to suggest that we can only exist due to the extreme control and stability that our planet has.

Now, beyond that? I feel what actual aliens would look like if we were to discover them in their state of FTL, advanced enough to maybe build Dyson Spheres (class 3), they'd like be an amorphous Grey Goo - nano machines - with their consciousness attatched to extremely advanced and comprehensive A.I.
This is simply because, as I just state, Earth is absolutely freaking rare it seems. The Specific settings on the dial for Earth to be what it is, is rare. This means that in order to really survive being an interstellar species? You need to change your biology, because along your Interstellar Interstate I-5 road trip, you're not going to find many Earth 2 pit stops. At first, genetic manipulation, the ability control one's own evolution, occurs. Something we nearly do now - just look at Sperm Banks and Fertility Centers. They can remove genetic disease in those systems. So we manipulate our ability to survive more extreme conditions so that more "less than suitable planets" become acceptable habitats during our initial colonization phase. After that, once the Singularity has taken full effect (the A.I. Singularity) and we develop true intelligence that's artificial, we can finally master the ability to apply Sentience, the Human Condition, to any state of matter or material. At that point, the weakness of a biological system is over come and we simply become robots. This scenario seems to be the more prudent for ANY race that must go interstellar in order to propagate.
If we were to encounter an interstellar species of sufficient age, I believe they'd be Grey Goo.

'Til then, I think the only "alien" species we will uncover will be us. I hypothesize personally that, in the age of colonization where we are still relying on genetic manipulation to survive new habitats and biomes, means that we will ourselves develop multiple "alien races". Perhaps a minor dark age occurs and, the future human empire loses communication with itself for awhile. Then, after reemerging, it discovers "reptile like humanoids". In reality, those are just Humans, who have reptilian like traits because apparently? That's what the doctor ordered several hundred years ago during early colonization.

Those are my two cents.
[+] 1 user Likes Einharjar's post