What would Aliens look like?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2016, 10:10 PM
RE: What would Aliens look like?
[Image: illegal_aliens.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
11-06-2016, 10:25 PM
I can see the attraction of anthropomorphous aliens, and not just for the common reasons. At some point an intelligent species must manipulate the physical environment to a high degree, so grasping appendages are going to be "handy".
It is not hard to imagine insectoid creatures that did all that with mandibles, let alone claws, feet, etc. The amorphous goo thing is not working for me unless there is some advantage to evolving in that direction.
Find all posts by this user
11-06-2016, 11:09 PM
At work.

Ha! In regards to appendages, manipulators and 'Growths'.

Tentacles would seem to be better for some things. Then there's flies who have taste buds on their feet. Plus, lets not go into , weirdness that is courtship displays and what males (And some females) evolved purely in such competition.

Heh, now there's another though. An alien race develops its mind not to manipulate the environment but to attract mates.

Yes.... I have a dirty mind... Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
12-06-2016, 01:39 AM
(11-06-2016 10:25 PM)skyking Wrote:  I can see the attraction of anthropomorphous aliens, and not just for the common reasons. At some point an intelligent species must manipulate the physical environment to a high degree, so grasping appendages are going to be "handy".
It is not hard to imagine insectoid creatures that did all that with mandibles, let alone claws, feet, etc. The amorphous goo thing is not working for me unless there is some advantage to evolving in that direction.

The advantage for Grey Goo is that you're a swarm of trillions upon trillions of nanotech robots. Being able to readily work at the atomic level means any and all environments short of something as hot as stars is easy for your manipulate and consume.

The "Goo" or "Smart Dust" was proposed by John von Neumann, and the term Gray Goo was coined by Eric Drexler. Here's an excerpt from Drexler's book, Engines of Creation:
Imagine such a replicator floating in a bottle of chemicals, making copies of itself…the first replicator assembles a copy in one thousand seconds, the two replicators then build two more in the next thousand seconds, the four build another four, and the eight build another eight. At the end of ten hours, there are not thirty-six new replicators, but over 68 billion. In less than a day, they would weigh a ton; in less than two days, they would outweigh the Earth; in another four hours, they would exceed the mass of the Sun and all the planets combined — if the bottle of chemicals hadn't run dry long before.

It's the ultimate method of consumption. Nano machines could power themselves through space utilization nothing by the cosmic radiation in abundance. They could move from source to source, consuming everything and pretty much forever propagating. A hypothesis postulated by scientists is that it's possible this is a foreseeable future for mankind. Converting one self into a machine allows you to transcend many inhospitable situations; heat, cold, atmospheric density, gravity variances. When you're nano scaled, you're ranges of immunity are even more pronounced. Human consciousness would persist by having the Swarms of bots act as Artificial super-organisms. Individually, they may not have the memory to support complex thought, but together? It'd make enough connections for a type of cloud computing that would allow the sentient Singularity A.I. to exist and persist. Tests of A.I. cooperating across multiple nano-bots are already underway and showing great success.

Most people don't like the thought of this because... well... it's anti-climactic. And I agree.
[+] 1 user Likes Einharjar's post
12-06-2016, 04:36 AM
(11-06-2016 10:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  [Image: illegal_aliens.jpg]

[Image: thanksgiving-painting.jpg?itok=oazbVSbC]
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
12-06-2016, 04:45 AM
[Image: mos_eisley_cantina_version_2_by_reckless...4730qo.jpg]

Keeping the dream alive!

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
12-06-2016, 04:57 AM
(12-06-2016 04:45 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: mos_eisley_cantina_version_2_by_reckless...4730qo.jpg]

Keeping the dream alive!

[Image: latest?cb=20150504135723]
12-06-2016, 06:18 AM

[Image: demotivational-posters-immigration_zpsbq37gavd.jpg]

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
17-06-2016, 09:07 AM
[Image: giphy.gif]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
17-06-2016, 11:08 AM
(12-06-2016 06:18 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  

[Image: demotivational-posters-immigration_zpsbq37gavd.jpg]

I'm an honorary member of the Navajo Nation, so I'm legit.