What would Aliens look like?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2016, 08:25 AM
RE: What would Aliens look like?
[Image: mothman-statue1.jpg]
The Mothman

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2016, 10:04 AM
IMHO

I believe that 'alien' life would be similar to our own. The two major evolutionary controls (gravity and environment) would define any differences, but all in all, I would expect a lot of similarities.

There are limits to cell size and that would be the basis of life. There are limits to cell functions so after 3.5 billion years, any sustainable possibilities would certainly have evolved. In effect, I see no reason that alien life would be much different than our own.

"They think, therefore I am" - god
16-07-2016, 10:18 AM
(16-07-2016 10:04 AM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  There are limits to cell size and that would be the basis of life. There are limits to cell functions so after 3.5 billion years, any sustainable possibilities would certainly have evolved.
Did you mean 13.5 billion years?

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
16-07-2016, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2016 11:35 AM by TechnoMonkey.)
3.5 billion years based on earth life having originated on earth. Earth is only abut 5 billion.

16-07-2016, 11:33 AM
(16-07-2016 11:21 AM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  3.5 million years based on earth life having originated on earth. Earth is only abut 5 million.
That's billions, not millions. Indicators suggest that life began very quickly, as soon as Earth had cooled down enough to allow life to survive. It was probably killed off a few times before getting a solid hole on the planet, of course.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Corrected. Brain fart.

16-07-2016, 11:54 AM
Going by the history of life on this planet most extraterrestrial will probably look something like this.

[Image: Bacterial-Vs-Cancer.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
16-07-2016, 12:43 PM
(16-07-2016 11:21 AM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  3.5 billion years based on earth life having originated on earth. Earth is only abut 5 billion.
Oh, I thought you were talking about life in the universe in general, not specifically on Earth.

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
16-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Life is capable of many forms.

[Image: cd307c50f6643f0030280dcc38638bdb.jpg]

[Image: Living-Rock-3.jpg]

[Image: image-260865-breitwandaufmacher-idpd-260865.jpg]

Being Bi-pedal is not a necessity for intelligence. Thumbs are a major advantage. But who's to say that alien life hadn't evolved with something better? Or something even better then a brain?

If brains are truly universal, what would be the mechanism that brought that about? We're kind of stuck with one petre dish called earth. And we don't even know how life started on this.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
16-07-2016, 01:10 PM
(11-06-2016 11:09 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I was thinking the other day on Extra Terrestrial life. And an old idea came back up.

The images of Aliens seem to be limited by the self-centerness of man.

Grey's, Reptilians. Being the most popular among ET visitation believers. Hold very human characteristics. Even thou being bi-pedal is rather rare even among earth species. The majority of life on this planet has large variety of motion. The eye's are not always at the front of the head. Would life had evolved on a distant planet with the same results as earth? Climate, planets mass, planetary conditions would all have an effect of was may arise.

[Image: AlienAutopsy2.jpg]

[Image: Indigenous-Reptilian.jpg]

Even the god's that man has thought up look like us. Will man ever be able to get over this hurtle?

If an alien species did exist. What could be a strong contender aspect of what they would look like. Given what we know about creatures on this planet (not just humans) what would something we can predict would be expected from another planet.

Why would aliens even have eyes? Maybe they have senses we cannot even imagine. If we didn't have the sense of smell or taste could you imagine anyone inventing the idea of it?