What would Science be without Anthropology?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2013, 01:13 PM
What would Science be without Anthropology?
Or....do you as a Scientist even consider Anthropology a Science? I have recently had an experience that has enlightened me on this subject and I would like some different opinions. Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2013, 02:00 PM
RE: What would Science be without Anthropology?
No anthropology, no dating things, no knowledge of evolution.

And I found cultural anthro extremely interesting also.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-07-2013, 02:16 PM
(09-07-2013 01:13 PM)Buddy Wrote:  Or....do you as a Scientist even consider Anthropology a Science? I have recently had an experience that has enlightened me on this subject and I would like some different opinions. Thanks in advance.

wut?

Of course it's a science.

I mean, I'm defining 'science' pretty broadly here - an organized attempt at rational inquiry - but it more than qualifies.

It'd be easier to answer if I knew what sort of nebulous experience 'enlightened' you.

... this is my signature!
09-07-2013, 03:14 PM
(09-07-2013 02:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 01:13 PM)Buddy Wrote:  Or....do you as a Scientist even consider Anthropology a Science? I have recently had an experience that has enlightened me on this subject and I would like some different opinions. Thanks in advance.

wut?

Of course it's a science.

I mean, I'm defining 'science' pretty broadly here - an organized attempt at rational inquiry - but it more than qualifies.

It'd be easier to answer if I knew what sort of nebulous experience 'enlightened' you.
I found out there is a lot of self proclaimed 'Scientists' on Science forums that do not know what Anthropology encompasses, and are arguing that it is not a Science. I have studied Anthropology for 40 years, and that is amazing to me that so many so educated do not know what the discipline encompasses.
09-07-2013, 03:20 PM
(09-07-2013 03:14 PM)Buddy Wrote:  I found out there is a lot of self proclaimed 'Scientists' on Science forums that do not know what Anthropology encompasses, and are arguing that it is not a Science. I have studied Anthropology for 40 years, and that is amazing to me that so many so educated do not know what the discipline encompasses.

Ah, okay.

I think some people in hard physical sciences (disclosure: I am a physicist) lose track of what science is, particularly beyond their own field.

What arguments are there for it not being a science?

... this is my signature!