What would change in the world if...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2017, 04:02 PM
RE: What would change in the world if...
Disclaimer: Sorry for the wall of text. I had assumed that using the numbered list feature there would be spaces between each number. I had no idea the forum would crunch everything together like that. I tried to fix it but the formating won't let me. Don't blame you for not reading, it's not easy on the eye.

These are just a few of my ideas -- in no particular order of importance or likelihood.

1. Incidents of bigotry, xenophobia, hatred, oppression, etc. would drop precipitously. Yeah, it may not make everyone like the people they formerly hated, but without religion to hide behind, they would have to admit that they're just bigoted asshats and intolerant fucktards -- and only people in militant hate groups are willing to do that. Since the vast majority of people aren't members of the K.K.K. or the Aryan Brotherhood, people would keep their mouths shut about who they hate. The next generation, however, will be far and away more kind and tolerant as many will realize that their parents' hatred has no merit.
  2. Wars and conflicts would not disappear entirely, but they would be far and few between. Other than hotspots like the Ukraine/Crimea, almost all of the conflict in the world today has religion at its roots. For instance, if you take away the religion, the Jews and Palestinians just might be able to find a peaceful solution to their problems.
  3. International terrorism would no longer occur. Even local terrorism would decline to almost nothing. Almost every single act of terror in the modern era has been due to religion, whether it was sectarian violence between Islamic factions or whether it's the larger conflict between Islamic fundamentalism and the West.
  4. I think that many here are selling ourselves a bit short -- I don't think things will stay mostly the same; I don't think people will keep hating the same people as before. It may not manifest immediately, but the hatred will die out after just a generation or two, leaving only small, impotent groups of haters with no power, influence, or ability to affect change in their favor
  5. Economic policies will get better. This one is a bit harder to tie to religion. However, atheists do tend to be politically liberal. I would imagine that many who are now conservative would eventually come around and start seeing that we need a more egalitarian system when it comes to things like health care and income equality. Even the wealthy might be able to finally say, "I have enough money." Greed won't disappear, not at all, but it may not be quite as rampant.
  6. Education will likely improve on the whole as, perhaps, intelligence will start being valued in this country instead of athletics receiving all of the attention. My only worry is that I do part with liberalism in the way we teach history -- I have no problem with multi-culturalism and diversity in most circumstances, but like it or not, much of history in the Western World was moved and shaken by white Christian men. You can't change that. Liberalist education tends to try and shoehorn in every race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, and religious group thus taking away time to teach the history that actually matters in the grand scheme of things. Will history become nothing more than a "feel-good-about-your-heritage fluff" class with all of these liberal atheists? I dunnae.
  7. There would be a big problem with charities and hospitals. Most of them are currently run by religious groups. Everyone would need to work out a way to finance and operate these charities/hospitals without a "national fund" that a major religious denomination can put together in order to operate these places. Are atheists up to that? Or will we all just end up walking away? Of course, with better economic policies, charities might not be needed as much.
  8. Without a God to worry about pissing off and without the fear of Hell, I think many outmoded moral laws will change. How about legalized and regulated prostitution? Marijuana use? Those two things alone seem to be the main focus of police; perhaps crime will actually decrease if police were free to catch real criminals instead of always back at the station processing the latest hooker or college kid with a joint they busted. Jails will be less full, taxpayers will save a bundle.

I have a lot more ideas but I'll leave it there. I already gave you too much to read, I'm sure.

An atheist world wouldn't be a utopia and I focused mainly on the positive changes. Perhaps later I'll compile a list with possible negative impacts.

"If my God exists, then the laws in the Bible should apply to everyone. I am certain my God exists, so ..." -- words of a theocratic fascist justifying theocratic fascism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Shirina's post
11-04-2017, 08:35 AM
(10-04-2017 11:21 AM)Dom Wrote:  everyone woke up as atheist tomorrow?

How would that happen? God? Tongue

4 billion people would die, that's what would happen. Evil_monster

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
11-04-2017, 09:07 AM
(11-04-2017 08:35 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

How would that happen? God? Tongue

Yep, god is moving on and leaving the Gwynnies in charge.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
11-04-2017, 09:10 AM
(11-04-2017 09:07 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 08:35 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  How would that happen? God? Tongue

Yep, god is moving on and leaving the Gwynnies in charge.

Yay Gwynnies! Banana_zorro

However in the above scenario, I'm quite convinced a bunch of mofos would lose their shit. Undecided

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
11-04-2017, 02:37 PM
(10-04-2017 12:20 PM)julep Wrote:  People would find new reasons for disliking the same sets of people they dislike now.
Well, no.

Firstly, people could no longer hate Muslims, Christians and the like, because there would no longer be these exclusive groups.

Secondly, gay people would be far less persecuted.

Getting rid of religion would just be the start though.
Many people would still cling to their moral beliefs. Meaning that the people who were religious yesterday but are atheist today would still have issues with gays and with abortion and perhaps some other things.

Much work would still need to be made to erode people's moral beliefs before people can become accepting of other's autonomy and differences.

I think many people like control, it is a comfort to them, they fear lack of control over others. They want laws telling others how to behave, they want protections in order to stop the culture of their own country changing.
11-04-2017, 02:46 PM
The drug war would rage on. African warlords would continue to use food and water scarcity to control their impoverished populations. The increased focus on science would lead to an increased demand for such scarce resources as lithium, necessitating the need for the continued geographic domination of undeveloped third world countries that just so happen to be sitting on old rocks. My aging pug would still be uninsured. And those and all the other problems in the world would still be my fault because I'd still be white.

'Murican Canadian
11-04-2017, 04:25 PM

How would it affect wars?

Would there be new social groups to replace churches and what would they do?

Anything else?

No there won't be much replacing going on, what tends to happen is that when the church dies, humanist, or atheistic communities don't arise as some sort of 1 to 1 replacement, but the death of church comes in wake of the death of real communities all together. More and more people would just become more personally individualistic, less tribe or community associated, to borrow the phrase, become more like a herd of cats. Groups that might have at least a religious connection would become more and more splintered, much more difficult to assimilate into larger cultures etc., harder to effectively organize. The roles and functions of community would slowly be replaced by the state.

As far violence and war are concerned, the only real difference is that they're would be no more need to appeal to religious justifications, entirely secular ones, like power, economics, will suffice. Just because atheists tend to be liberal humanistic types, doesn't mean that atheism leads to the others, but those inclined to such liberal inclinations are more receptive to being atheists. So lets not imagine a sort of universal atheism, as world of universal liberalism as well.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
11-04-2017, 06:26 PM
(11-04-2017 02:37 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 12:20 PM)julep Wrote:  People would find new reasons for disliking the same sets of people they dislike now.
Well, no.

Firstly, people could no longer hate Muslims, Christians and the like, because there would no longer be these exclusive groups.

Secondly, gay people would be far less persecuted.

Getting rid of religion would just be the start though.
Many people would still cling to their moral beliefs. Meaning that the people who were religious yesterday but are atheist today would still have issues with gays and with abortion and perhaps some other things.

Much work would still need to be made to erode people's moral beliefs before people can become accepting of other's autonomy and differences.

I think many people like control, it is a comfort to them, they fear lack of control over others. They want laws telling others how to behave, they want protections in order to stop the culture of their own country changing.
I disagree. Humans are tribal, perhaps irreversibly so, and expert rationalizers.

The Christians who hate Muslims, and vice versa, would find a different set of reasons to cite. However, the biggest unspoken reason would still be there: not our genetic tribe, resources are limited, our tribe needs to thrive, outsiders get in the way and need to be eliminated/defanged in some way.
11-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Is this a way to plan for what we are going to do after the believers are raptured?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-04-2017, 07:04 PM
(11-04-2017 06:26 PM)julep Wrote:  I disagree. Humans are tribal, perhaps irreversibly so, and expert rationalizers.

The Christians who hate Muslims, and vice versa, would find a different set of reasons to cite. However, the biggest unspoken reason would still be there: not our genetic tribe, resources are limited, our tribe needs to thrive, outsiders get in the way and need to be eliminated/defanged in some way.
I agree with your assessment on tribes and limited resources and such.
But if there is no longer a Christian tribe, no longer a Mulsim tribe then there are less tribes (tribes still exist, but less of them)

I do not subscribe to the belief that a person has a "bad soul" metaphorically speaking. So I don't think we have "bad" people who flock to religion so that they can have a tribe and oppose people from other tribes.
I don't think, if you take away the religious tribe, that these people will then seek out non religious tribes from which they can remain in conflict with yet other tribes.

I think the religion has an influence on people. They preach to them, they have some "leader" up on the pulpit screaming out hell fire and damnation upon gays and Muslims and the like. Surely that must create a conflict in some people who otherwise wouldn't have taken up this "war" against "evil".

Us atheists are mostly OK with gays, we don't make it our business or battle to stop gays from loving each other. It's not that we are "good" people. We just haven't got the influences of Church and bible study and peers (within our "exclusive" group).
We don't have an exclusive group, we don't have these battle lines drawn up. It is not a reflection on our own "goodness" but merely lack of influence from religion.

Do away with religion and people will likely not pick on gays anymore and of course there won't be religion conflicts (e.g. Christian vs Muslim). Still there will be other conflicts, but I don't think "bad"people will be trading their religious conflict for something equally as horrid.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post