What would it take?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2013, 06:55 PM
RE: What would it take?
(18-10-2013 06:50 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(18-10-2013 06:30 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I dare you bro! Although I might end up punching what ever jumps out at me. Just ask my brotherTongue I almost broke his nose when he surprised me with a mummy mask, I was 8 to. I can punch harder now.

And if this guy was the one in the gorilla suit, and this is what happened to you after punching him...
[Image: the-big-show-interview-20041209025142626.jpg]
AND he somehow had a device that made an incredibly authentic ferocious animal sound...
you wouldn't, even for a short moment, have your senses telling you this has to be a trick, temporarily leave you? Tongue

And if not, what would it take?
I already mentioned I'd be shocked but would have to talk myself down. When I do that, all bets are off. I'm getting a bat.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2013, 07:22 PM
(18-10-2013 06:55 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(18-10-2013 06:50 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  And if this guy was the one in the gorilla suit, and this is what happened to you after punching him...
[Image: the-big-show-interview-20041209025142626.jpg]
AND he somehow had a device that made an incredibly authentic ferocious animal sound...
you wouldn't, even for a short moment, have your senses telling you this has to be a trick, temporarily leave you? Tongue

And if not, what would it take?
I already mentioned I'd be shocked but would have to talk myself down. When I do that, all bets are off. I'm getting a bat.

I fail to see how you would appropriate a bat while held in the air by a 7 foot, 441 lb. (200 kg) man (dressed as a furry fanged man beast complete with somewhat convincing snarling noises), but I believe you Confused. I'd prefer a machete, myself Tongue. Or something sharp.
Still. What would it take to scare you, & make you flee in panic? A whole herd of sasquatch? There must be something.

18-10-2013, 07:25 PM
(18-10-2013 07:22 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(18-10-2013 06:55 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I already mentioned I'd be shocked but would have to talk myself down. When I do that, all bets are off. I'm getting a bat.

I fail to see how you would appropriate a bat while held in the air by a 7 foot, 441 lb. (200 kg) man (dressed as a furry fanged man beast complete with somewhat convincing snarling noises), but I believe you Confused. I'd prefer a machete, myself Tongue. Or something sharp.
Still. What would it take to scare you, & make you flee in panic? A whole herd of sasquatch? There must be something.
Guns, guns, would do it. Flaming Sasquatches with guns.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
18-10-2013, 07:43 PM
I've always longed for an easy (and safe from suffocation) way to push up out of the earth. A false grave would be even better but I don't suspect you'd have to look dead to freak people out that way! Morlocks come out of the ground, right? I can't remember Tongue

18-10-2013, 08:01 PM
If I'd been in that coffee shop I think I would have first - freaked out!! second question my sanity. After realizing everyone else saw what I was seeing, I'd REALLY like to think I'd look for pulley wires and wheels instead of feeling the like the reality I knew was a silly joke. I think either way I'd end up feeling a little embarrassed, but hey, it was a pretty good ruse!
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
18-10-2013, 08:22 PM
(18-10-2013 08:01 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  If I'd been in that coffee shop I think I would have first - freaked out!! second question my sanity. After realizing everyone else saw what I was seeing, I'd REALLY like to think I'd look for pulley wires and wheels instead of feeling the like the reality I knew was a silly joke. I think either way I'd end up feeling a little embarrassed, but hey, it was a pretty good ruse!

Yeah! grizzlysnake is right, though. Scare Tactics have done quite a few of these, but most are crap. This one was funny as hell!

Had I anything in my bladder when I first saw this I laughed so hard it would have emptied instantly Big Grin

Like grizzly, my initial reaction would have been just a tad more aggressive and violent because it's more believable (a weird animal ) than ghosts & goblins. I don't know if it would have fooled me, but I'm sure someone with enough resources could. Just don't know what exactly they'd have to use, and to what extent they'd need to act & prepare props, to get the job done. I haven't been properly frightened, or scared in a while...kinda miss the occasional startled jump Sad

18-10-2013, 09:40 PM
(18-10-2013 07:43 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I've always longed for an easy (and safe from suffocation) way to push up out of the earth. A false grave would be even better but I don't suspect you'd have to look dead to freak people out that way! Morlocks come out of the ground, right? I can't remember Tongue

Forget morlocks!!!
I want one of these attached to some hydraulic cylinders, and enough time to bury it in someone's backyard Big Grin Perhaps while they were on vacation, and away from their home.
[Image: tremors_behind-the-scenes2.jpg]

01-11-2013, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2013 10:47 AM by Skeptic Gamer.)
I think it takes quite a bit for me to fall for folly. So I'm not sure.

Here's a fascinating true story:

When I was in Basic Training, one day, the Drill Sergeants of our Company (which had four training platoons of 60 soldiers each) herded everyone into a large room and acted very agitated and tense. So they had pretty much everyone in the room (all these poor soldiers in training) tense and worried. They spoke very directly and agitated and all to get everyone worked up. Keep in mind, we had no contact with the outside world except for rare, very short phone calls and letter writing.

We were told that at such and such time the night before, Iran launched an ICBM into Tel Aviv and blew the whole city to shit and that we were now at full-scale war with Iran. They said that Basic Training would be shortened by three weeks and that everyone would re-assigned (regardless of your position) to infantry and quickly ushered to units to be deployed for a ground war. They held up manila folders full of papers and used it to add to the show. "THIS SHIT IS REAL. YOU ARE GOING TO BE DEPLOYED TO IRAN IN SIX WEEKS. THIS IS THE REAL FUCKING DEAL."

There were dudes in that room crying. Almost everyone looked agitated and scared and horrified. I was tense as there was tension in the room, but nothing about this felt right. It was all a little off. An ICBM? Really? Don't they have shorter range missiles? What possible benefit would there be to reassigning everyone to infantry? If there aren't all those other support jobs (like mine was), infantry might as well be useless. There are an awful lot of logistics that have to be covered to just change everyone's specialty, and what of us Guard and Reserves guys? We go a different way after training--plus, you know, what about all the funding already in place for all these other military schools after we move off from Basic? So, I was extremely skeptical. A big pack of manila folders didn't magically make things seem more plausible.

But to SO MANY, this was a horrible zero hour.

And it was all bullshit. They were screwing with 240 people "as a test" and threw in a "yeah, you didn't run for the door, so that's good." One guy yelled "fuck you!" from the back of the room. The vast majority of people seemed to believe it outright, and collective sigh of relief afterwards seemed indicative of this. There were still dudes crying and everyone was relieved. It also seemed to be kind of an eye opener to how many people didn't quite realize the "reality" of joining the military.

But even in a room filled with 239 other robots, loaded with mid-summer Kentucky heat and humidity, oozing with tension and the sounds of people crying, I sincerely doubted the entire show our Drill Sergeants were putting on. They did a very good show, but the more they talked, the more questions popped into my head, and the more holes formed in what they claimed. The whole point of a Drill Sergeant is to put you through a stress ringer--and we saw pretty much all of them (16 DS's) working together on this, and only their best actors led the charge on this.

I've asked numerous times over the years, and it seems that at no time did anyone else have Drill Sergeants pull this kind of dick move on them.

This is the signature.

http://www.FromNothingGameStudios.com
[+] 2 users Like Skeptic Gamer's post
01-11-2013, 11:23 AM
I am a complete chicken. I have some very irrational fears and I'm okay with that. I am terrified of the dark. When I was a kid my friends dad scared the sh*t out of me being the tooth fairy and then mix that with Darkness Falls. I cannot stand to be in the dark now. I know it's stupid but it is what it is.

I have laughed, in bitterness and agony of heart, at the contrast between what I seem and what I am!
Nathaniel Hawthorne
01-11-2013, 02:58 PM
(01-11-2013 10:42 AM)Skeptic Gamer Wrote:  I think it takes quite a bit for me to fall for folly. So I'm not sure.

Here's a fascinating true story:

When I was in Basic Training, one day, the Drill Sergeants of our Company (which had four training platoons of 60 soldiers each) herded everyone into a large room and acted very agitated and tense. So they had pretty much everyone in the room (all these poor soldiers in training) tense and worried. They spoke very directly and agitated and all to get everyone worked up. Keep in mind, we had no contact with the outside world except for rare, very short phone calls and letter writing.

We were told that at such and such time the night before, Iran launched an ICBM into Tel Aviv and blew the whole city to shit and that we were now at full-scale war with Iran. They said that Basic Training would be shortened by three weeks and that everyone would re-assigned (regardless of your position) to infantry and quickly ushered to units to be deployed for a ground war. They held up manila folders full of papers and used it to add to the show. "THIS SHIT IS REAL. YOU ARE GOING TO BE DEPLOYED TO IRAN IN SIX WEEKS. THIS IS THE REAL FUCKING DEAL."

There were dudes in that room crying. Almost everyone looked agitated and scared and horrified. I was tense as there was tension in the room, but nothing about this felt right. It was all a little off. An ICBM? Really? Don't they have shorter range missiles? What possible benefit would there be to reassigning everyone to infantry? If there aren't all those other support jobs (like mine was), infantry might as well be useless. There are an awful lot of logistics that have to be covered to just change everyone's specialty, and what of us Guard and Reserves guys? We go a different way after training--plus, you know, what about all the funding already in place for all these other military schools after we move off from Basic? So, I was extremely skeptical. A big pack of manila folders didn't magically make things seem more plausible.

But to SO MANY, this was a horrible zero hour.

And it was all bullshit. They were screwing with 240 people "as a test" and threw in a "yeah, you didn't run for the door, so that's good." One guy yelled "fuck you!" from the back of the room. The vast majority of people seemed to believe it outright, and collective sigh of relief afterwards seemed indicative of this. There were still dudes crying and everyone was relieved. It also seemed to be kind of an eye opener to how many people didn't quite realize the "reality" of joining the military.

But even in a room filled with 239 other robots, loaded with mid-summer Kentucky heat and humidity, oozing with tension and the sounds of people crying, I sincerely doubted the entire show our Drill Sergeants were putting on. They did a very good show, but the more they talked, the more questions popped into my head, and the more holes formed in what they claimed. The whole point of a Drill Sergeant is to put you through a stress ringer--and we saw pretty much all of them (16 DS's) working together on this, and only their best actors led the charge on this.

I've asked numerous times over the years, and it seems that at no time did anyone else have Drill Sergeants pull this kind of dick move on them.

That is an incredibly dickish move, probably went over poorly enough that they figured they shouldn't do it again lest they get sued... but I probably would have been right there in your shoes, doubting every word, all the more annoyed that I was surrounded by gullible morons and assholes who think it's funny to freak people out. I only made it through 1 semester AF ROTC for this very reason, I hate being surrounded by people who are taught not to think for themselves (unfortunately I still am somewhat, DoD), are you out of that bullshit now?

I'm a logistician too, so I know just what you mean about infantry being useless without us. Smile

Not sure what it would take for me to get pranked, a believable story is about it, and since I'm such a skeptic not much is believable that's worth pranking someone over, I'd still like to see someone try.

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes MustangManda's post