What would it take to convince you of a conspiracy theory?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2016, 03:29 AM
What would it take to convince you of a conspiracy theory?
Through the many long years of being a conspiracy theorist, I have made many attempts to try and convince others that a conspiracy took place and yet it is like the words fall on deaf ears.

I am at my wits end right now, for I have failed so many people. Yet even now I try, and I am going to continue to try I have not necessarily tried on here so much because past experiences have shown me the futility of the approaches I've already used, using an approach that doesn't work regardless of how many times you use it, still won't work. So I ask, what would it take to convince you?

And before you say to bring evidence, that has never worked for me, not ever, no matter how much evidence was supplied. It never worked. Never. Not once. Not a single time, despite the multitude of evidence. There is nothing that will convince people (evidence wise) short of a confession or people getting caught in the act. Which is not how conspiracies work, conspiracies work because people have a cover story already planned out.

So don't say to bring evidence, that is the one answer I will not accept.

You can show a creationist fossils and evidence for the theory of evolution all day long, doesn't change their mind one bit. So do me a solid. Just assume hypothetically that you're being irrational and no amount of evidence would convince you. How would I get to you then?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2016, 05:18 AM
RE: What would it take to convince you of a conspiracy theory?
You have to realize that faith trumps reality for some people. They don't want to think about the problems with their faith, so they don't.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-11-2016, 05:20 AM
Consider

The key to persuasion...

[Image: 7-desires.jpg]

Sex and drugs and rock and roll
Is all my brain and body need

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
27-11-2016, 05:24 AM
Have you considered that the evidence that convinced you is not sufficient to come to your conclusion rationally? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The evidence required will depend on the conspiracy theory you are putting forward. Would you like to choose a specific one that we could put our required standard forward on?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
27-11-2016, 05:27 AM
Only evidence can persuade rational people.

Faith is what allows fools to embrace foolishness.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
27-11-2016, 06:27 AM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2016 06:34 AM by julep.)
Evidence combined with plausibility, not possibility. And, for conspiracies, testimony of one or more of the conspirators.

I don't doubt that conspiracies (and collusion, etc.) exist; I just doubt that long-term successful conspiracies of the kinds conspiracy theorists love exist. For example, I don't doubt that tobacco companies conspired with one another and with some scientists to spread doubt and squash research and publicity about the harmful effects of tobacco products. However, this conspiracy was only successful to a limited extent, for a limited time, even though the conspirators were rich, powerful, and politically connected.

Conspiracy theories of the 911/fake moon landing/Illuminati types let the theorists feel there's an external reason for why their lives don't go well, IMO. And it's true that there are external reasons for individual failure, of course, but they're not as fixable (potentially) or simplistic as a vastly powerful international conspiracy that could be exposed and the ringleaders jailed.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
27-11-2016, 06:31 AM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2016 06:50 AM by Celestial_Wonder.)
(27-11-2016 05:24 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Have you considered that the evidence that convinced you is not sufficient to come to your conclusion rationally? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The evidence required will depend on the conspiracy theory you are putting forward. Would you like to choose a specific one that we could put our required standard forward on?

Conspiracies are far from extraordinary, smaller men with much less incentive do it everyday.

I'm not choosing a specific conspiracy theory no, the problem does not lie in the one it lays in the entire concept. What is it about conspiracy theories that seem to baffle so many minds?

And as for the sufficient amount, its not, no no amount is sufficient we've already been down this road. None. Zero. Hours upon hours of formulating and procuring the necessary evidence to supply at least a reasonable doubt and no, not happening, never did. Only ignored. Always ignored.

(27-11-2016 05:18 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You have to realize that faith trumps reality for some people. They don't want to think about the problems with their faith, so they don't.

I for one like to believe that reason can triumph over faith if done correctly, the only question is how.

(27-11-2016 06:27 AM)julep Wrote:  Evidence combined with plausibility, not possibility. And, for conspiracies, testimony of one or of the conspirators.

I don't doubt that conspiracies (and collusion, etc.) exist; I just doubt that long-term successful conspiracies of the kinds conspiracy theorists love exist. For example, I don't doubt that tobacco companies conspired with one another and with some scientists to spread doubt and squash research and publicity about the harmful effects of tobacco products. However, this conspiracy was only successful to a limited extent, for a limited time, even though the conspirators were rich, powerful, and politically connected.

Conspiracy theories of the 911/fake moon landing/Illuminati types let the theorists feel there's an external reason for why their lives don't go well, IMO. And it's true that there are external reasons for individual failure, of course, but they're not as fixable (potentially) or simplistic as a vastly powerful international conspiracy that could be exposed and the ringleaders jailed.

Powerful and vast is not the terms I would use to describe them... cunning and resourceful maybe.

For Illuminati, I believe that in and of itself is a conspiracy, what better way to make those who do believe in the conspiracy you've committed stop from overthrowing you? Make them lose hope, make them feel small, make them feel powerless.

Its like how I believe the government actively tries to make conspiracies seem more dumb than they actually are, by making ludicrous and outrageous conspiracy theories that some people are going to fall pray to and then saying all conspiracy theorists are like that.

In a lot of ways conspiracy theories are like religion. You have your very different denominations, the atheists, the protestants vs the catholics, and then you have westerboro. People like to think that all conspiracy theorists are like westboro. When in actuality, most conspiracy theorists are more like atheists, because they don't believe the official version and can separate fact from fiction relatively easily.

And then there's the catholics and the protestants, who wait for the official mandate of the infallible word of those in power before making a decision about those in power.

There is an overwhelming amount of evidence for at least two BIG conspiracies. What they are who knows, not gonna let this thread be another one of my failures, especially since it has been tried and tested that the evidence does not work.
27-11-2016, 06:57 AM
(27-11-2016 06:31 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  I for one like to believe that reason can triumph over faith if done correctly, the only question is how.

I've dealt with conspiracy theories regarding Pearl Harbor since 1965. I wish you luck.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-11-2016, 07:22 AM
(27-11-2016 03:29 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Through the many long years of being a conspiracy theorist,
You know how incredibly silly this sounds to me (and others?). You know that according to confirmation bias, once you are looking hard enough for conspiracies, you will *find* some?
If your *hobby* is to investigate conspiracies, then your main focus shouldnt be to convince others of what you have found. You should constantly try to disprove your own theory to yourself, before you go to others. Reading your post, and i may be wrong here, your main focus does not seem to find out for yourself whats going on, but to *sell* it to others. Otherwise you wouldnt be so frustrated about other people not buying your stories, but you would rather be wrestling with yourself.
Just a wild guess Smile

Let me ask you this: Are you assuming there is a conspiracy (pick any, doesnt matter which) and then start to look for evidence, as in looking for confirmation? Or are you looking for evidence to the contrary (too)?

(27-11-2016 03:29 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  There is nothing that will convince people (evidence wise) short of a confession or people getting caught in the act.
Well, what kind of evidence did you usually bring to the table then? I could take a wild guess here, but dont wanna insult you, so please explain first.

(27-11-2016 03:29 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  And before you say to bring evidence, that has never worked for me, not ever, no matter how much evidence was supplied.
Maybe your evidence didnt match the standards of the people you tried to convince? Maybe their standard was too high? Maybe your evidence was too weak? Consider this: if you have presented your evidence and theories to so many (different?) people, and it never works, what do you think is the reason if you are looking for the most simple answer with the least assumptions?

(27-11-2016 03:29 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Not a single time, despite the multitude of evidence.
Maybe the problem is the quality of your evidence and not the quantity?

(27-11-2016 03:29 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  So don't say to bring evidence, that is the one answer I will not accept.
Too bad, its the only answer for most people here in the long run. I recommend you consider leaving TTA if you are serious and think you can convince anyone here without evidence that matches their standard. At the end you cant force people to believe something, you know. So spare you the frustration if you think so, and better leave.

(27-11-2016 03:29 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Just assume hypothetically that you're being irrational and no amount of evidence would convince you. How would I get to you then?
Asking rational thinking people on how to convince irrational minds? Why dont you ask irrational people themselves?

Last but not least:
Why being so obsessed with convincing other people of what you believe? Why do you have to make people believe your conspiracie theories? Is there a personal need/desire to be satisfied? I am asking, not insinuating.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 10 users Like Deesse23's post
27-11-2016, 07:32 AM
One of the things that make conspiracies so implausible is if there are a large number of people required to prop it up.

Lee Harvey Oswald acting by himself as a lone nut? Yeah, that's plausible.

Lee Harvey Oswald acting with the CIA to assassinate Kennedy? Nah....

Moon landing hoax requiring large numbers of people in the government as well as cooperation with the Russians? Nah.....

Illuminati controlling things at a level that's basically impossible? Nah....

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post