What would it take to convince you of a conspiracy theory?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2016, 08:11 AM
RE: What would it take to convince you of a conspiracy theory?
(30-11-2016 07:49 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(30-11-2016 02:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  Can you give us an example? I know you've declined before. But otherwise we're simply discussing why one would believe any statement. Give us an example of a conspiracy theory that you consider plausible, that satisfies your own criterion here quoted, and show how it satisfies it. You criterion IMO is vague as fuck. I can check that water is H20 because I can replicate the experiment. How the fuck are you gonna replicate a conspiracy? Let's shoot JFK again???

You could set up the conditions in which JFK was shot if you wanted to. The angles and all that, many people have sought to replicate such conditions.

And I've declined before, and I will decline again, I no longer believe it is my place. Or do you think these threads I've been making were just for show? They're for me just as much as they were for you.

What threads? You believe it's your place to blather on about conspiracy theories but not your place to back up your blather? And merely bleating "replicability" does not make your crap scientific. Specifics.

Sure, you could check out the angles and set up the shots again. That's not gonna be evidence though is it? Evidence would be things like bullets matching the gun, like accomplices being caught and squealing. You will notice that these are once off events.

You've spent this entire thread asking us what it'd take for us to believe a conspiracy theory, now when you're asked why *you* would believe one you shy away?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
30-11-2016, 08:26 AM
(30-11-2016 08:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(30-11-2016 07:49 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  You could set up the conditions in which JFK was shot if you wanted to. The angles and all that, many people have sought to replicate such conditions.

And I've declined before, and I will decline again, I no longer believe it is my place. Or do you think these threads I've been making were just for show? They're for me just as much as they were for you.

What threads? You believe it's your place to blather on about conspiracy theories but not your place to back up your blather? And merely bleating "replicability" does not make your crap scientific. Specifics.

Sure, you could check out the angles and set up the shots again. That's not gonna be evidence though is it? Evidence would be things like bullets matching the gun, like accomplices being caught and squealing. You will notice that these are once off events.

You've spent this entire thread asking us what it'd take for us to believe a conspiracy theory, now when you're asked why *you* would believe one you shy away?

Why I believe, I'd have to show you, that would be tantamount to trying to convince you. Tantamount to engaging in a debate, which is not what this thread was intended for.

Indeed I've spent the entire thread asking what it would take for all of you to believe, and I do not think I am capable of providing you with what you are seeking. Everyone has said evidence, yet the evidence I've presented before (not here) did nothing. It was a futile effort on my part. So if it is evidence that will convince you and indeed people have presented evidence that can not convince you.

There is nothing I can do, just like there is nothing I can do to convince theists that their god doesn't exist. I have to come to terms with conspiracies now just as I had to with religion, which is, it is neither in my place or in my capacity to try and convince others using evidence, because the evidence is simply ignored.
30-11-2016, 08:46 AM
(30-11-2016 08:26 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  it is neither in my place or in my capacity to try and convince others using evidence, because the evidence is simply ignored.

Yeah, we're all super dumb because we'd rather live in our evidence denying bubble. WHAT evidence. Give me ONE specific thing that you claim is evidence for ONE specific conspiracy theory and we will debate its merits. Or carry on bitching about how no one believes you.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
30-11-2016, 08:57 AM
(29-11-2016 10:27 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 12:30 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Well I can see the conversation is already changing. But I used to be a person that believed in conspiracys. Nothing like fake moon landing, but I believed the government was covering up extraterrestrial visitation. Took me a while to see the flaws in my judgement.

Extraterrestrials do exist though...

I'd like you to meet the first extraterrestrial we ever encountered.

[Image: space-heroes-photos-yuri-gagarin-5.jpg]
You don't understand that word, do you.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
30-11-2016, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2016 09:32 AM by Celestial_Wonder.)
(30-11-2016 08:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  Yeah, we're all super dumb because we'd rather live in our evidence denying bubble. WHAT evidence. Give me ONE specific thing that you claim is evidence for ONE specific conspiracy theory and we will debate its merits. Or carry on bitching about how no one believes you.

I never said you were dumb, just that it was not in my capacity to serve your wishes as you requested.

One specific thing would not be enough, eye witness testimony, scientific experiments, news reports. I'd have to gather a lot of things to present a case if I'd hope to convince anyone. Why should I put in so much time and effort into something that has a historical success rate of 0%?

I'm sorry if you came here looking for a debate morondog, but this thread was never intended to facilitate a debate. Its primary purpose was to see if it was futile to continue things as I had previously done, and I have deemed it to be futile. So why then should I engage with you in something that has a historical success rate of 0% and that I now believe is futile?

What kind of madness do you think I possess?
30-11-2016, 09:07 AM
(30-11-2016 08:57 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You don't understand that word, do you.

originating, existing, or occurring outside the earth or its atmosphere <extraterrestrial life>

adjective
outside, or originating outside, the limits of the earth.
noun
an extraterrestrial being:
a science fiction novel about extraterrestrials conquering the earth.

adjective
originating, located, or occurring outside Earth or its atmosphere

noun
a form of life assumed to exist outside the Earth or its atmosphere

Definitions from three websites.

None of them were very specific on whether that being had to be non-human, nor did it quantify for how long they had to exist outside of earth. Ergo it would not be wrong of me to put Yuri Gagarin as the first extraterrestrial being mankind has ever encountered.

Wink

Extraterrestrial life on the other hand is more specific, but he didn't state that just extraterrestrials.
30-11-2016, 09:49 AM
[quote] Indeed I've spent the entire thread asking what it would take for all of you to believe, and I do not think I am capable of providing you with what you are seeking. Everyone has said evidence, yet the evidence I've presented before (not here) did nothing. It was a futile effort on my part. So if it is evidence that will convince you and indeed people have presented evidence that can not convince you. [quote/]

Perhaps that's because the evidence wasn't good evidence, and there's a reason for that, It is totally impossible for 9/11 to be a conspiracy especially an inside job conspiracy, therefore any alleged evidence will always be too full of holes to be taken seriously.
30-11-2016, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2016 10:14 AM by Celestial_Wonder.)
(30-11-2016 09:49 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
Quote: Indeed I've spent the entire thread asking what it would take for all of you to believe, and I do not think I am capable of providing you with what you are seeking. Everyone has said evidence, yet the evidence I've presented before (not here) did nothing. It was a futile effort on my part. So if it is evidence that will convince you and indeed people have presented evidence that can not convince you.

Perhaps that's because the evidence wasn't good evidence, and there's a reason for that, It is totally impossible for 9/11 to be a conspiracy especially an inside job conspiracy, therefore any alleged evidence will always be too full of holes to be taken seriously.

Perhaps adey, but how is it totally impossible for 9.11 to be a conspiracy? If there was so much certainty of this it would not be a topic of such great controversy. As for the evidence, well I see holes in some theories, things that are left unanswered. But for 9.11 I have never seen such a strong a case presented for any other conspiracy.

While the official story on the other hand has many holes in it from my perspective. (edited because the joke was horrible)
30-11-2016, 10:26 AM
(30-11-2016 10:03 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(30-11-2016 09:49 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Perhaps that's because the evidence wasn't good evidence, and there's a reason for that, It is totally impossible for 9/11 to be a conspiracy especially an inside job conspiracy, therefore any alleged evidence will always be too full of holes to be taken seriously.

Perhaps adey, but how is it totally impossible for 9.11 to be a conspiracy? If there was so much certainty of this it would not be a topic of such great controversy. As for the evidence, well I see holes in some theories, things that are left unanswered. But for 9.11 I have never seen such a strong a case presented for any other conspiracy.

While the official story on the other hand has so many holes in it from my perspective, it could be considered the... holey bible.
Its only the subject of controversy amongst those who for whatever reason are emotionally invested in the conspiracy. There are a plethora of online articles which explain why people believe conspiracy theories all basically boil down to the fact that these theories forfil a psychological or emotional need, or relate to paradolia
There are no major holes in the official accounts, a group of terrorists got lucky and flew three planes into three buildings causing two to collapse and the collateral damage caused building seven to fall sometime later. What's more everyone saw it happen . Its all simple stuff really.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
30-11-2016, 10:42 AM
(30-11-2016 08:26 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  (There is nothing I can do, just like there is nothing I can do to) convince theists that their god doesn't exist

does not equal (at all)

Quote:convince a person that your conspiracy does exist

(emphasis mine)

If you were trying to compare us here with theists, who are demonstrably irrational to believe in things they have no proof for,
then i am suggesting you overthink your statement/position/equivocation.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post