What would it take to convince you of a conspiracy theory?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2016, 11:39 AM
RE: What would it take to convince you of a conspiracy theory?
(27-11-2016 03:29 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  [...] You can show a creationist fossils and evidence for the theory of evolution all day long, doesn't change their mind one bit. So do me a solid. Just assume hypothetically that you're being irrational and no amount of evidence would convince you. How would I get to you then?

I'm not sure you understand exactly what a "conspiracy theorist" (CT) is. A creationist and/or someone who believes in a god is not a CT. Nor is someone who believes the earth is flat, or is only 6,000 years old.

A CT is a person who believes "a theory that explains an event as being the result of a plot by a covert group or organization; a belief that a particular unexplained event was caused by such a group, or the idea that many important political events or economic and social trends are the products of secret plots that are largely unknown to the general public".

You seem to be erroneously conflating "irrationalism" with "conspiracism" when in fact they're two totally different states of mind.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
27-11-2016, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the reply. For a change we seem to have here someone who is not completely full of shit, a fucking troll, utterly deluded, dishonest and/or a complete asshole. Actually one of the reasons for me to be on this forum and exchange opinions and discuss with others. Smile

Now, i agree with with Hobbit, that the next step should be to examine one of your (two big?) conspiracy theories and your reasoning and evidence. Smartass

You are free to present your theory or not. Noone can force you to justify your beliefs. Please remember, if you do so, and possibly your theory and reasoning is getting criticized, its the theory (or reasoning) not the person being attacked. We all believe in stupid shit at some time in our lives. Angel
So far i havent seen anyhing (see above) concerning your persona that would justifying to do so (unlike with the complete idiots and assholes that pop up here so often). Thumbsup

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
27-11-2016, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2016 12:00 PM by adey67.)
(27-11-2016 11:40 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Thanks for the reply. For a change we seem to have here someone who is not completely full of shit, a fucking troll, utterly deluded, dishonest and/or a complete asshole. Actually one of the reasons for me to be on this forum and exchange opinions and discuss with others. Smile

Now, i agree with with Hobbit, that the next step should be to examine one of your (two big?) conspiracy theories and your reasoning and evidence. Smartass

You are free to present your theory or not. Noone can force you to justify your beliefs. Please remember, if you do so, and possibly your theory and reasoning is getting criticized, its the theory (or reasoning) not the person being attacked. We all believe in stupid shit at some time in our lives. Angel
So far i havent seen anyhing (see above) concerning your persona that would justifying to do so (unlike with the complete idiots and assholes that pop up here so often). Thumbsup

I agree, CW is as far as I am concerned a decent human being, kind and gentle in response.He may be woo-full but I'm afraid I cannot help but like the guy.... Bite me radical bitches Evil_monster And screw your asses too Hobo Tongue
27-11-2016, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2016 01:00 PM by Velvet.)
Celestial, I went looking for a video when Sam Harris points a few things about conspiracy theories, watched that video a long time ago, but is so rational, I would like you to watch it and tell me your sincere opinion about it, very casual approach to a point of view that I share. (I`m sorry that he covers many other topics midway explaining about conspiracy theories, but again, is a casual video)

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
[+] 1 user Likes Velvet's post
27-11-2016, 01:00 PM
The Neil Degrasse Tyson version

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
27-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Evidence.
27-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Lack of shrill. Conspiracy theorists tend to become unhinged when debated with concerning their conclusions. And despite this subforum, this place ain't really the place for conspiracy talk.

(27-11-2016 11:39 AM)SYZ Wrote:  You seem to be erroneously conflating "irrationalism" with "conspiracism" when in fact they're two totally different states of mind.

Not in the OP. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-11-2016, 02:35 PM
Just remember: It's always somebody else's fault.

Tongue

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
27-11-2016, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2016 08:04 PM by Celestial_Wonder.)
(27-11-2016 12:39 PM)Velvet Wrote:  Celestial, I went looking for a video when Sam Harris points a few things about conspiracy theories, watched that video a long time ago, but is so rational, I would like you to watch it and tell me your sincere opinion about it, very casual approach to a point of view that I share. (I`m sorry that he covers many other topics midway explaining about conspiracy theories, but again, is a casual video)

I watched it, and I'm going to refute it.

What he is doing is called an Argument from incredulity, seen this done many times before, When he does start talking about 9/11 he follows up by using the Clinton and Monica event which is a red herring. What Clinton did would have only have made himself look bad, where as if 9/11 was an inside job, it would make the entire government look utterly rotten. And why should you use your resources to protect the dignity of some guy you probably don't even like?

Further more there aren't going to be hundreds or thousands of people in on it, likely there would be some dozens, maybe a hundred at most, but the less people you have, the less cogs in the machine, the less likely there is for something to go wrong. So if you were going to do something big like this, you'd want as few people in on it as possible. Not that that didn't even go wrong.

He also says that someone would come forward after doing something like this but fails to realize, they don't need to come forward, no one has to come forward. And for good reason, if this did take place, and someone did try to come forward, and the people who were responsible of this caught wind of it. Do you think they would fret over severing one loose link after having murdered thousands and starting an entire war?

First rule of fight club, you don't talk about fight club. Second rule of fight club, you don't talk about fight club. Wouldn't be the first time someone from a secret service agency has shown up dead under mysterious circumstances.

In regards to going to Iraq, we're now interfering in the domestic affairs of Libya and Syria on the grounds of fighting this endless war on terrorism. 15 years, at this point I think we can all agree that terrorism is the new communism, and that quite unfortunately the pretext used to go to war with Afghanistan and Iraq was not an isolated case. There was a lot of push during the Bush administration to go to war with Iran as well.

But the reason Sam Harris is using to deflate the conspiracy theory is in fact logical fallacies. He does nothing to counter the argument of the theory, but seeks only to belittle the theory itself. Indeed, that is why the word used in the very title is 'deflate' not debunk.

Sometimes its not about getting rich or gaining power, but keeping others poor and weak.
27-11-2016, 07:49 PM
A conspiracy.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post