"What would it take?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2012, 12:01 PM
RE: "What would it take?"
(19-08-2012 11:36 AM)Near Wrote:  ....
I like the idea of a list of questions that Bucky Ball would ask when presented with an argument for the existence of god(s), so here is a checklist of questions that I am interested in asking all of you:

1. What would it take to convince you there was a god(s)?
2. When presented with evidence that you found credible, would you worship that god(s)?
3. If yes to question 2, why?
4. If no to question 2, why?

My original post would still answer that I believe:
1) There is no evidence or information that could convince me of a god--a highly developed alien race, yes, or a race that some think are gods.
2) No need to, they'd just be another race of beings, highly advanced, but still not a god (despite some maybe thinking so). I may respect them, but that's about it.
3/4) Just because something knows more than you, or threatens you, or may even be able to kill you isn't a reason to worship it. Fake it to stay alive, sure, but if it's really a alien/god worth anything, it'd see through it.

(19-08-2012 11:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I have always been really crap at reading body language. School friends used to nudge me with a "she really fancies you" kinda comment. I developed a saying: I wouldn't know if a girl liked me unless she stuck her tongue down my throat and her hand down my pants.

I once told an ex-girlfriend that I wouldn't know if someone liked me unless she pinned me to a wall and kissed me--which led to me being instantly pinned to the wall and kissed! Apparently I was really bad at noticing things, despite her being in my room at the time too.... and not entirely dressed... There was still a possibility that it was just her being herself, so I didn't assume, although I wondered, and kind of posed it in a "if you do, just kiss me" without saying it outright to let her do whatever.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like elemts's post
19-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Should it come to pass that a god was found to exist, I would offer it my help and guidance in solving the worlds problems.
If I found out that this god was the same dickish god written about in the bible, I would kill it before it could cause another senseless and unbelievable flood.

In the realm of the imaginary, I am greater than any god ever conceived of....... I am human.
My ego is beyond measure.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
19-08-2012, 12:12 PM
If God could offer me the same level of proof of existence and of his powers that say a table, or a human friend offers me, then I'd believe God existed.

Worshiping don't enter into it. Never ever. Fuck that. If he insisted I might fake it, if the threat was big enough. But that's like cheating to win a race. Sure, you won the race, but *you know* yourself that if you were competing on a level playing field you would have lost. A God who was satisfied with that... that's a garbage God anyway.
19-08-2012, 12:35 PM
I find the bold answers saying, "I would never worship such a god" as comically melodramatic. So you're saying if an ultimate omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent being that has the power to make you, unmake you, torture you or reward you in the face of overwhelming provable evidence, that you would reject such a god. It's the old, "All my friends are in Hell" glibness. You're not going to get to experience your friends in this hypothetical Hell. You're going to be eternally on fire suffering unimaginably for eternity because you're too proud to accept that there is a being responsible for your destiny? Yeah. Tell me that again when said hypothetical deity presents you with the hypothetical reality. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
19-08-2012, 12:40 PM
(19-08-2012 12:35 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I find the bold answers saying, "I would never worship such a god" as comically melodramatic. So you're saying if an ultimate omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent being that has the power to make you, unmake you, torture you or reward you in the face of overwhelming provable evidence, that you would reject such a god. It's the old, "All my friends are in Hell" glibness. You're not going to get to experience your friends in this hypothetical Hell. You're going to be eternally on fire suffering unimaginably for eternity because you're too proud to accept that there is a being responsible for your destiny? Yeah. Tell me that again when said hypothetical deity presents you with the hypothetical reality. Drinking Beverage

Erxomai, we don't have a soul. Eternity is a nothingness to us... a complete irrelevance. Once that simple reality is accepted, fear-mongering loses all of its power. Most days, you wouldn't believe how fearless I am. I can't bring myself to commit suicide, so any violent fuckwit would be doing me a favour. I pretty much fear nothing. Including your concept of a god.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-08-2012, 12:43 PM
(19-08-2012 12:40 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 12:35 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I find the bold answers saying, "I would never worship such a god" as comically melodramatic. So you're saying if an ultimate omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent being that has the power to make you, unmake you, torture you or reward you in the face of overwhelming provable evidence, that you would reject such a god. It's the old, "All my friends are in Hell" glibness. You're not going to get to experience your friends in this hypothetical Hell. You're going to be eternally on fire suffering unimaginably for eternity because you're too proud to accept that there is a being responsible for your destiny? Yeah. Tell me that again when said hypothetical deity presents you with the hypothetical reality. Drinking Beverage

Erxomai, we don't have a soul. Eternity is a nothingness to us... a complete irrelevance. Once that simple reality is accepted, fear-mongering loses all of its power. Most days, you wouldn't believe how fearless I am. I can't bring myself to commit suicide, so any violent fuckwit would be doing me a favour. I pretty much fear nothing. Including your concept of a god.

Hypothetically, a god could give us a "soul" and then make it feel just like we do now, then punish us.... (although it'd still be impossible to tell if it happened or if it's just a highly advanced species with tech beyond our comprehension doing it)
19-08-2012, 12:48 PM
(19-08-2012 12:43 PM)elemts Wrote:  Hypothetically, a god could give us a "soul" and then make it feel just like we do now, then punish us....

No it couldn't. Keep in mind what you're saying, here. We (our identity) is formed by neurons and synapses. A soul is a metaphysical nothingness; by the very definition, it has no physical presence.

If you could transfer our physical identity to another storage system (whether physical or non-physical... and the latter would impress me, greatly) then a god would be dealing with a copy of you, not you.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-08-2012, 12:59 PM
(19-08-2012 12:48 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 12:43 PM)elemts Wrote:  Hypothetically, a god could give us a "soul" and then make it feel just like we do now, then punish us....

No it couldn't. Keep in mind what you're saying, here. We (our identity) is formed by neurons and synapses. A soul is a metaphysical nothingness; by the very definition, it has no physical presence.

If you could transfer our physical identity to another storage system (whether physical or non-physical... and the latter would impress me, greatly) then a god would be dealing with a copy of you, not you.

Yeah, I was thinking of it as a copy that thought it was you (or just had all your memories), then punished/rewarded for doing what the organic being did--or just a quick "mirror" of all memories into something.... way too hard to picture though, actually probably impossible to picture really.
19-08-2012, 01:08 PM
"What would it take?"
(19-08-2012 12:40 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  

Saying, "We don't have a soul" is equal to saying "There is no God," unless there's an argument I'm unaware of. I don't believe in either. But in answer to the OP, I'm making the assumption if an imaginary creator/ruler/sovereign deity exists, then believing in a soul goes right along with the hypothetical question of how to respond to said deity. If the hypothetical situation is, there is an all powerful deity, but no soul, then so what? Not really a reason to worship said deity, is there?

What you label as "fear," I call practicality. Why would I defiantly oppose someone who has a say over the eternal condition of my hypothetical soul? Just so I could have 40 years of self-pride and say, "No, I will not yield," and then end up in infinite agony? Doesn't sound worth it to me.

I refer you back to my original response: my response to a hypothetical god would depend on what that god offers as reward or threatens as punishment.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-08-2012, 01:09 PM

Well, if there's a god, I guess it will do what it wants, as it already has. I suppose I would be powerless. But how is worrying about a god, going to do anything but make me lose time, hair, and possibly perspective? I think to just keep on keeping on, would be the thing in life to do.

When I ran track (4000 years ago), I noticed I would run faster, better, and usually finished either first, or at least ahead of my previous time... but only if I didn't look at anyone else running and didn't look anywhere but the track. I had to make myself do this all the way through the race - beyond the finish line.

If I focused on something other than me or running or the track, even for a split second, it would become evident that I would lose that second. Things got even better when I focused on just me and running... even the track became just another thing that didn't much matter, something I couldn't really control.

Wait ... did you want something hypothetical, or did you want something real? Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein