What would make you believe in God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2012, 10:46 PM

RE: What would make you believe in God?
You have everything you need to believe right in front of you and you always have and you know it. You don't want God to exist, you don't want to give up your free will to do the will of God, so you turn the other way. You won't get anything else in the way of proof. Just hell or anihilation.

And seriously, and I will try to say this without laughing, don't think for one minute on judgment day that God will be impressed with your free thinking and give you a free pass. You simply won't be qualified for what's to come in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2012, 10:57 PM
God is oh so very real, he doesnt show pity on those who dont believe him, its on us to choose him, and his promise says seek and ye shall find, He died for us and gave us the gift of faith, only when you believe and seek him he will make himself known to you, but watch your intentions because if you jus hope for a sign that hes real thats still unbelief, he wants you to surrender yourself to him and long for a relationship for him, but it is still common to want to see signs and stuff, that only happens in worship, as you worship you encounter miracles signs and wonders, and im speaking from expierience, i heard his actual voice, i had visions, supernatural dreams, i kno without a shout of a doubt god is real, just seek him in spirit and truth and he will reveal himself to you, i mean we were created to worship him anyway, read the comments on the thread Can anyone explain how this wasnt god, and i explained more about god and the encounters i had with him
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bjgodsimage's post
03-03-2012, 11:25 PM
(03-03-2012 10:57 PM)bjgodsimage Wrote:  God is oh so very real, he doesnt show pity on those who dont believe him, its on us to choose him, and his promise says seek and ye shall find, He died for us and gave us the gift of faith, only when you believe and seek him he will make himself known to you, but watch your intentions because if you jus hope for a sign that hes real thats still unbelief, he wants you to surrender yourself to him and long for a relationship for him, but it is still common to want to see signs and stuff, that only happens in worship, as you worship you encounter miracles signs and wonders, and im speaking from expierience, i heard his actual voice, i had visions, supernatural dreams, i kno without a shout of a doubt god is real, just seek him in spirit and truth and he will reveal himself to you, i mean we were created to worship him anyway, read the comments on the thread Can anyone explain how this wasnt god, and i explained more about god and the encounters i had with him

I feel like I just wanna hug you.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-03-2012, 11:29 PM
(03-03-2012 11:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-03-2012 10:57 PM)bjgodsimage Wrote:  God is oh so very real, he doesnt show pity on those who dont believe him, its on us to choose him, and his promise says seek and ye shall find, He died for us and gave us the gift of faith, only when you believe and seek him he will make himself known to you, but watch your intentions because if you jus hope for a sign that hes real thats still unbelief, he wants you to surrender yourself to him and long for a relationship for him, but it is still common to want to see signs and stuff, that only happens in worship, as you worship you encounter miracles signs and wonders, and im speaking from expierience, i heard his actual voice, i had visions, supernatural dreams, i kno without a shout of a doubt god is real, just seek him in spirit and truth and he will reveal himself to you, i mean we were created to worship him anyway, read the comments on the thread Can anyone explain how this wasnt god, and i explained more about god and the encounters i had with him

I feel like I just wanna hug you.

lol do you believe in god
04-03-2012, 01:07 AM
(03-03-2012 10:57 PM)bjgodsimage Wrote:  God is oh so very real...

...and im speaking from expierience, i heard his actual voice, i had visions, supernatural dreams, i kno without a shout of a doubt god is real, just seek him in spirit and truth and he will reveal himself to you, i mean we were created to worship him anyway, read the comments on the thread Can anyone explain how this wasnt god, and i explained more about god and the encounters i had with him

Your belief, no matter how strong, doesn't make it true. You start by just stating things as fact... Muslims do this, too. It doesn't impress us when they tell us how sure they are that Allah is real, or about what they believe about him. We roll our eyes in the same manner that you do. This personal conviction doesn't make a god real.

Now when you present evidence from personal experience, I'd like to refer you again to the Muslims... they claim to speak to a god, and they believe that if you "just reach out to him, you'll find him". These people are delusional, and so are you. There are people who believe that they've been abducted by aliens, but we're not convinced by their personal experience until they bring back proof that actually does the rest of us some good. Personal experience is subject to confirmation bias. The question we atheists have is why we don't have these experiences.

Don't get me wrong --- I was a Christian from childhood until I was 19, so I had these "experiences". Many of us atheists (especially us loud-mouthed ones) believed in a god at one time in the past. I experienced what you feel is "him in spirit", but I mistranslated very ordinary feelings that all humans have as something spiritual, because I was indoctrinated from youth to believe it was. It's not really God. It's obvious that my posts are coming from a real person. I know how to communicate with you, and I didn't choose to do it by making you "feel" something in response to your own post. Does it make sense for God's replies to come via sensations and in hidden and mysterious ways through experiences? Just consider for a moment that you might be reading too deeply into mundane, everyday occurrences... just like those Muslims do.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
04-03-2012, 03:40 AM
to honestly make me believe in god would take as much as a heavenly figure appearing to me and at least 1 other person while we were both in a sober state. Anything else is too little, you can see anything (god in this case) anywhere if you are looking for it.
04-03-2012, 03:41 AM
(03-03-2012 08:16 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(03-03-2012 06:12 PM)ALovelyChickenMan Wrote:  Hello,

I'm new to this forum so apologies if this has been made before (which it probably has)

What would make you believe in God? So it would be a fact rather than a faith based thing because I recently read a blog post that most atheists ask for too much evidence given the fact that there is enough evidence of a Christian God. Whether that is true or not I do not know, I haven't researched enough about it so I'll suspend judgement. [/i]

If you've never read David Hume's somewhat short essay entitled An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding then I would recommend that you read it (the full text is behind that link). It's fascinating how he logically broke down the paradox behind believing in miracles. Miracles are always less probable than natural events, so it is reasonable to meet them with skepticism 100% of the time.

And what less than a miracle would persuade me to believe in a god? Nothing. If there were already natural ways to measure god's existence, they would be well-known in this day and age, especially with the proliferation of information thanks to the internet.

If you believe that there is already enough evidence to believe in the Christian God, then you just don't understand what constitutes "evidence"...

It should be testable. If we can't verify your evidence, it's worthless. It should either be part of the common human experience, or tested by experts (and cited), or we should be able to test it ourselves. For instance, if you believe that prayer proves God, then prayer has to be testable and pass the test (and this implies it also has to be falsifiable).

It should fit within the scope of things we already know. As they would put it in court, you can't cite facts "not in evidence." You can't say that complex organisms are designed and all things with the appearance of design have designers... the premise that "all things with the appearance of design have designers" has not been proven.

Most importantly, it should fit within the confines of logic. If you don't understand why facts have to be logical, then I don't want to waste my time reasoning with the unreasonable. If you take a Philosophy of Religion class, you'll find that there are only 10 known arguments for God that are logically sound --- Wikipedia's entry isn't incomplete or just showing a sample... there are just too many arguments that people use for God's existence that are logically fallacious, and most theists wouldn't know a logical fallacy if they heard one. That's why we keep hearing debunked arguments like Pascal's Wager over and over again.

I haven't read the essay but I think Hitchen's put it well in a debate (correct me if i'm wrong). It was something like, "what are the chances that all natural laws have suspended in your favour or you have made a big mistake?"

I'll be sure to read the essay in due time Smile

(03-03-2012 10:46 PM)Egor Wrote:  You have everything you need to believe right in front of you and you always have and you know it. You don't want God to exist, you don't want to give up your free will to do the will of God, so you turn the other way. You won't get anything else in the way of proof. Just hell or anihilation.

And seriously, and I will try to say this without laughing, don't think for one minute on judgment day that God will be impressed with your free thinking and give you a free pass. You simply won't be qualified for what's to come in the Kingdom of Heaven.

I've seen you around the place before (before I signed up). You advocate this specific type on monism called veridicism(?) and you say that everything is god? I don't see god in front of me and if he does exist and I'll see him at some pearly gates I'll just beat him and rock, paper, scissors Big Grin but he'd have to agree to turn of the omniscient cheat... that'd be unfair wouldn't it?

Apologies but I don't buy it.
[+] 1 user Likes ALovelyChickenMan's post
04-03-2012, 03:53 AM

The power of suggestion is very real. Want something bad enough and you will see it anywhere, even in your own head. I was a christian for 25 years, never had a prayer answered, never once was slain in the spirit, never once was I given any direction when I begged and prayed for it. Kinda odd, i can't be hypnotized either. Yea most people are able to be hypnotized but there is a small percentage that can't be, im among them. Went to talk to a therapeutic hypnotist earlier this week to confirm just that. But if you don't believe it does exist look at the number of fake pastors that have people speaking in tongues and being slain in the spirit by a touch on the forehead. I am certain you believe what you saw, but as I have stated before, unless I am in the presence of a heavenly figure with someone else around to prove im not hallucinating (more common than you obviously think) I think religion is bs....and if its not, god is a bastard for sending thousands of years of native americans to hell.
04-03-2012, 05:03 AM
(03-03-2012 10:46 PM)Egor Wrote:  You have everything you need to believe right in front of you and you always have and you know it. You don't want God to exist, you don't want to give up your free will to do the will of God, so you turn the other way. You won't get anything else in the way of proof. Just hell or anihilation.

Now now. Play nice. Don't pretend to know what goes on inside our head because you really don't. You dismiss the points we made without debating them "because you know better". You did that in the past and we hated your guts for it. Not because "truth hurts", but because you're willfully wrong and you insult us.

You were making some progress now you're sliding back. Pay some respect if you want to get your message across in a civilized manner or don't be surprised when you get treated like a troll.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 2 users Like Malleus's post
04-03-2012, 05:31 AM
(03-03-2012 10:57 PM)bjgodsimage Wrote:  God is oh so very real, he doesn't show pity on those who don't believe him, its on us to choose him, and his promise says seek and ye shall find, He died for us and gave us the gift of faith, only when you believe and seek him he will make himself known to you, but watch your intentions because if you just hope for a sign that he's real that's still unbelief, he wants you to surrender yourself to him and long for a relationship for him, but it is still common to want to see signs and stuff, that only happens in worship, as you worship you encounter miracles signs and wonders, and I'm speaking from experience, I heard his actual voice, I had visions, supernatural dreams, I know without a shout of a doubt god is real, just seek him in spirit and truth and he will reveal himself to you, I mean we were created to worship him anyway, read the comments on the thread Can anyone explain how this wasn't god, and I explained more about god and the encounters I had with him

Oh good, another theist. Welcome to the forum.

I've corrected your spelling mistakes in the above post and highlighted them for you. Presumably you're talking about the Jewish desert God (Yahweh?) In which case he gets a capital G. If you're talking about any of the gods that came before or after him...use a little g. If you're not from an English speaking country as many of our members are, please use Google translate as it can really help clarify things and avoid misunderstandings.

Having expended some effort in translating your post into English, I think you're asking a question? Can I explain how it wasn't God who gave you visions or dreams?

Yes. They are called dreams and there is plenty of documented evidence that highlights these are entirely normal. There is an entire field of science devoted to this filed called Oneirology. You could be on prescription medication or illegal substances which could heighten your experiences when dreaming. There is also a school of thought that believes diet could have an impact on dreaming, but this is very much a fringe science right now and there is little to substantiate it.

Hope that helps

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
[+] 1 user Likes Shannow's post