What would make you believe in God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2012, 05:38 AM
RE: What would make you believe in God?
very simple. god is supernatural or defies the laws of physics. if you can get your god to make me levitate, i will believe in god. only a god could jump off a building and not hit theground. you show me that and im there. he has had billions of years to prove it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2012, 07:03 AM
(03-03-2012 10:46 PM)Egor Wrote:  You have everything you need to believe right in front of you and you always have and you know it. You don't want God to exist, you don't want to give up your free will to do the will of God, so you turn the other way. You won't get anything else in the way of proof. Just hell or anihilation.

And seriously, and I will try to say this without laughing, don't think for one minute on judgment day that God will be impressed with your free thinking and give you a free pass. You simply won't be qualified for what's to come in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Wow, what a sadistic god you believe in. So you believe your god will punish someone an infinite amount of time for a finite sin of simply not believing in it, even though there is no evidence? Why do you find this worthy of worship?

Oh, bjgodsimage, if I say God is a god, the second doesn't have to be capitalized if not used as a proper name even though it refers to the Christian deity.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
04-03-2012, 07:51 AM
(03-03-2012 10:46 PM)Egor Wrote:  You have everything you need to believe right in front of you and you always have and you know it. You don't want God to exist, you don't want to give up your free will to do the will of God, so you turn the other way. You won't get anything else in the way of proof. Just hell or anihilation.

And seriously, and I will try to say this without laughing, don't think for one minute on judgment day that God will be impressed with your free thinking and give you a free pass. You simply won't be qualified for what's to come in the Kingdom of Heaven.

So you think we're all faking it?

We'd have to be seriously stupid to know God exists but walk around pretending he doesn't, knowing that'd send us to hell.
04-03-2012, 10:29 AM

So much for Nice Egor...

How about a genetic memory of dying from fright upon witnessing "the creator of the universe?" I had that; same thingy I got the handy-dandy title of prophet from - the LC - so it ain't likely I'm gonna believe in God. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2012, 10:58 AM
It would have to be incontrovertible evidence. I don't "believe" in science, it is just the best method we have in understanding our universe. Inconsistancies are weeded out, errors excoriated and our understanding of things is habitually evolving and theories and hypothesis adjusted accordingly. This is in contrast to the track record of any of the main religions I know of.

Welcome aboard!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
04-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Show me a god who isn't a sadist and I will - ahh - no - I still won't believe. But I will respect those who believe in him a lot more.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-03-2012, 11:23 AM
(04-03-2012 11:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  Show me a god who isn't a sadist and I will - ahh - no - I still won't believe. But I will respect those who believe in him a lot more.

But then again you have to point your finger at the world we live in and ask the guy: "Are you saying that your non-sadistic god did this?" Aaaand we're back to square one. Any god that allegedly made this world has a lot to answer for.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post
04-03-2012, 11:58 AM
(04-03-2012 11:23 AM)Malleus Wrote:  
(04-03-2012 11:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  Show me a god who isn't a sadist and I will - ahh - no - I still won't believe. But I will respect those who believe in him a lot more.

But then again you have to point your finger at the world we live in and ask the guy: "Are you saying that your non-sadistic god did this?" Aaaand we're back to square one. Any god that allegedly made this world has a lot to answer for.

Think Dionysus could get away with it? "Sorry guys, I had a really bad hang over"...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-03-2012, 12:00 PM

Well, yes, but we are talking about a new god since so far I haven't seen one that is not sadistic.

So maybe this new one doesn't have a plan and isn't omnipotent... maybe we are just a little ant hill some place in a part of the woods that we know as the universe. Maybe there are a lot of other universes, and someplace in one of those lives a giant who has binoculars and watches us. He could just walk on over and poke our ant hill with a stick, but since he isn't sadistic, he just sits there and watches us toil away. Heck, he may even be benevolent and keep his kid from poking our hill, too.

Hey, it's as plausible as any other story...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-03-2012, 12:57 PM
(04-03-2012 12:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  

Well, yes, but we are talking about a new god since so far I haven't seen one that is not sadistic.

So maybe this new one doesn't have a plan and isn't omnipotent... maybe we are just a little ant hill some place in a part of the woods that we know as the universe. Maybe there are a lot of other universes, and someplace in one of those lives a giant who has binoculars and watches us. He could just walk on over and poke our ant hill with a stick, but since he isn't sadistic, he just sits there and watches us toil away. Heck, he may even be benevolent and keep his kid from poking our hill, too.

Hey, it's as plausible as any other story...

We go back to the cargo cults. I can theoretically see a savage tribe from the satellite and I have access to resources and technology sufficient to make me a god in their eyes (as pointed out in a different thread, such things have happened in the past - some tribes are worshiping the American army as gods because they installed an airfield on their island and used it as a base of operations for a while).

Based on all their standards I am no less than a god. With the right equipment I have the power to single-handedly wipe out their entire community. With the right job in a good economy I can even provide basic and cheap food for them all for a long time. Is that sufficient to objectively make me a true god? I think not. I don't think superiority is sufficient. You need objective supremacy for that and your giant just doesn't cut it.

The thing is that only relative superiority wishes to be worshiped. You need to be pretty flawed yourself to enjoy and/or demand worship from inferior beings. Its the behavior of frustrated individuals with low self-esteem. A true supreme being would be more interested in a proper relationship with individuals with a closer intellectual level than in unconditional submission. I find talking to another human being more interesting than playing with my dog even if the dog does the closest thing to worship available at our level.

I find a smart dog far more interesting than one which obeys everything I command but doesn't seem to have any moods, any initiative and never surprises me.

The thing I'm getting at is that gods who wish to be worshiped are not truly worthy of worship. The ones who are worthy don't need it. A supreme being would be more interested in a freethinker that in a mindless sheep who turns god asslicking into a life-affirming purpose.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.