What would make you believe in God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2012, 03:01 PM
RE: What would make you believe in God?
(04-03-2012 02:13 PM)morondog Wrote:  What a bizarre article. I thought it was great until I realised it was a response to an article which they conveniently didn't link to. And the apologetics stuff was utter bullshit. Apparently the church and theologians were not to blame for all the superstition because Benjamin Franklin was wrong about sharp tipped lightning rods.

I was kind of busy so I felt like leaving it at that article =p it was quite funny. And anyway if the christians themselves admit to their likelihood of being struck by lightning that's good evidence to me =p

I did read it and realize there was no source prior to posting it was just really funny.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
04-03-2012, 04:11 PM
(04-03-2012 02:17 PM)Dom Wrote:  Nothing is objectively a god.

Indeed. The kind of god that would be objective does not exist and anything else is not a god.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
04-03-2012, 04:23 PM
(04-03-2012 02:17 PM)Dom Wrote:  Nothing is objectively a god.

Spoken like a true nihilist. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
04-03-2012, 04:25 PM
(04-03-2012 02:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-03-2012 01:58 PM)Malleus Wrote:  
(04-03-2012 01:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  Ok, so what is a god? I suppose it can be anything. I can put my empty chocolate wrapper on a shelf and pray to it so that it may regrow the chocolate.

To me, then, the chocolate wrapper is a god. No? It doesn't actually have to regrow chocolate to be god, other gods don't react in any way to prayers either.

Note to self: I have got to get off this chocolate thing!

From your subjective point of view the wrapper can be a god, but it's not objectively a god. It's not worthy of worship. Objectively, from the man who made the design to the minimal wage worker who carries the boxes of chocolate and even the machine that printed the logo are relatively more worthy of worship.

Big Grin I worship at the altar of the chocolate god nearly every day...I think it's worthy.

Ahh, a woman after my own heart!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-03-2012, 08:08 AM
(04-03-2012 02:13 PM)morondog Wrote:  What a bizarre article. I thought it was great until I realised it was a response to an article which they conveniently didn't link to. And the apologetics stuff was utter bullshit. Apparently the church and theologians were not to blame for all the superstition because Benjamin Franklin was wrong about sharp tipped lightning rods.

The closest I could find to the original online (doing a quick search... it might actually be the original.. I'm unsure) was:
http://evolvefish.com/freewrite/franklgt.htm

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
05-03-2012, 08:58 AM
(05-03-2012 08:08 AM)craniumonempty Wrote:  

The closest I could find to the original online (doing a quick search... it might actually be the original.. I'm unsure) was:
http://evolvefish.com/freewrite/franklgt.htm

Thanks. Coulda googled it myself buuut you did the work for me Smile