What would the discovery of life on another planet mean?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2014, 09:14 AM
RE: What would the discovery of life on another planet mean?
It would mean that jehova witnesses would be the first people to travel interstellar distances

gotta go knocking on alien doors

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like nach_in's post
05-02-2014, 09:22 AM
I think religious people will mostly take it as more evidence of whatever stupid deities they believe in. If they don't believe life can begin once without some kind of magic trick, they're not going to believe it happened multiple times without magic, are they?

To me, it will help me understand how common life is in the universe. So far we can only be certain life exists here on Earth (and even that isn't 100% certain, really), but logic tells us that that in a universe this size and with this many planets, life probably isn't unique to Earth. If we find signs of life of any kind on another planet right here in our own solar system, then there's a good chance that the Universe is actually teeming with life. I find that idea both exciting and slightly terrifying.
05-02-2014, 09:37 AM
It would mean there is life.....

on other planets.....

Also the universe would feel slightly less lonely.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
05-02-2014, 09:53 AM
I have thought about thus a lot, actually. While some of the more intelligent/alreadu questioning faithful might see it as proof of their misguided beliefs, I think they would be the minority. The majority would just say "well God didn't just stop creating things after the bible." And the extremists would say God created these other creatures because we disappointed him amd he has abandoned us.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
[+] 1 user Likes Ohio Sky's post
05-02-2014, 12:13 PM
It's obvious...
This would 'prove' the fine tuning of the universe for life, right?
Tongue

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
05-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Well, you would think it would be a big impact on religion, but as far as I've heard about the "Microbes on Mars," they don't seem to car much.
They would say, "Oh, it's just a fake, just like the moon landing."

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
05-02-2014, 05:30 PM
If we found it on Mars or Venus the Scientologist would say "See, I told you so. Thetans. Tongue "

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
05-02-2014, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 06:01 PM by sporehux.)
People think Aliens built the pyramids and the easter island statues when there are quarries and partially completed construction in stages nearby both sites.

Delusion is difficult to deal with..

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
05-02-2014, 05:44 PM
This thread reminded me of the short story by Ray Bradbury entitled "The Man" from his book The Illustrated Man. Not the same but a good read.

"The Man"
A group of space explorers land on a planet to find the population living in a healthy state of bliss. Upon investigation, they discover that an enigmatic visitor came to them. Further description leads the two spacemen to believe that this man is Jesus (though he is never named, leaving room for other religious personas). One decides to spend the rest of his days on the rejoicing in the wake of the man's glory. The other continues in his spaceship, "chasing 'him' always a step behind, never fast enough to catch up to him, constantly trying to achieve the unachievable." Other members of the crew decide to stay on the planet to learn from the contented citizens, and are rewarded by the discovery that "he" is still on the planet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stories...y_Bradbury

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-02-2014, 12:14 AM
(29-01-2014 12:25 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  How do you think religions will react and what will be the outcome of finding life elsewhere?

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

...in the end, they'll find a way to live with it, just like they did heliocentrism.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.