What would the discovery of life on another planet mean?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2014, 12:59 AM
RE: What would the discovery of life on another planet mean?
" What would the discovery of life on another planet mean?"
As an Ancient Astronaut Theorist, I know it just means aliens "seeded" life there too.
what ? You think Jebus can't go to other planets too ? Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2014, 11:13 AM
If these beings are sentient, then logic would dictate that they, too, would have their own gods that they currently worship, or have worshipped in the past.

I would like to see what they think of these gods, and what their god/gods' messages are. I would be incredibly happy if their religious mantras/sayings were similar to ours, dealing in love and happiness, because that would mean that love and happiness is near-universal.

Of course, this all depends upon their evolutionary path, they could be complete assholes for all we know, then we would see their gods say, "hate thy neighbor as thy hates himself."

By assholes, I mean sentient being that believe they still play a role in darwinism so much that they cannot be peaceful among themselves, and do not pretend to play peaceful like us humans do.
09-02-2014, 11:24 AM
(09-02-2014 11:13 AM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  If these beings are sentient, then logic would dictate that they, too, would have their own gods that they currently worship, or have worshipped in the past.

It's possible, sure, but I'm not convinced it's necessarily the case. Humans have a tendency to anthropomorphise ...which is probably an evolutionary benefit if you're an animal that was hunted. But suppose the aliens were the top predators prior to developing intelligence, or simply had no natural enemies? They might not have that same instinct.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
21-02-2014, 11:25 AM
(29-01-2014 09:30 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  They'll say that "God made it all for us". :/

I remember sitting in a presentation somewhere. Could've been church actually. They were showing us slides of stars, galaxies and the wonderful universe as we know it. They'd mention the estimated distance from earth to give a sense of the vastness of the universe. The whole room was silent with wonderment and awe. Then when the "preacher" was about to end he clicked and showed a nebulous cloud in the shape of a cross. He then said, "Even the glorious heavens display his wonder and majesty". Well it was something along those lines.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
21-02-2014, 12:16 PM
(05-02-2014 09:05 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I suspect the response from religion will be generally the same across the board.

"See how awesome god is?? He can even make aliens!!! Praise Jeebus!"

Ah ha!! Now it's beginning to be clearer. Prayer does work! It just seems like it doesn't because God is busy "resting" in between creating new worlds and aliens. That or he has a massive backlog of prayer requests from other worlds. Hold on Suzie you're number 123456321458900965.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
21-02-2014, 12:22 PM
(29-01-2014 12:25 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  While I don't believe in any sense it would be a death knell for religion, I think it would send many of them scrambling to redefine their histories and explanations (again). To me, I would hope to them it would mean definitively that Earth was not "put" here for us, that we aren't special. Life could come about anywhere in the universe given the right balance of environment and chemicals, etc.

It would destroy fine-tuning, genesis myths (which we know are bunk but they don't) and the magical "spark of life."

One thing I think will happen is they will just say god did it. That no matter what we find, it still was all created by their god, so they will dismiss it out of hand. I guess only when we find intelligent life and can communicate with them will those dismissals have to go extinct. Then again, who am I kidding?

How do you think religions will react and what will be the outcome of finding life elsewhere?
Pretty interesting topic you brought up my friend. I've always contemplated the possibility of there being life outside of the Earth's atmosphere and quite frankly it would be friggin amazing if we were to discover life on another planet!!! However, rumor has that we've already discovered extraterrestrials, but certain powers in the world have been keeping it a secret because it would just literally mind f**k everybody and change reality as we know it. If you search the net you can actually find a ton load of documentaries covering the whole issue. Within these documentaries some people have even claimed that they've seen weird objects flying around in the sky that nobody recognizes. In many cases video footage of these anomalous objects have even been taken. I hope I'm not coming across as a nut job. But hey I've even heard that astronomers have discovered many Earth like planets out in space within the habitable zone of their sun, but were unable to confirm whether or not life exists on them because they are just too damn far away for us to examine. As for people under their religious spells, I think such a remarkable discovery would definitely rock the foundation to their beliefs.
21-02-2014, 12:22 PM
What would the discovery of life on another planet mean?
(06-02-2014 12:14 AM)toadaly Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 12:25 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  How do you think religions will react and what will be the outcome of finding life elsewhere?

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

...in the end, they'll find a way to live with it, just like they did heliocentrism.

And then, a massive jump-start to the space program, as there will no doubt be the need to convert any sentient life to Christianity.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
21-02-2014, 01:05 PM
My family and I had this discussion at dinner just a few weeks ago. I framed the discussion in the form of "What if we found evidence of life on another planet, like polution or some sort of technology, but never saw the actual life form." The consensus of the group was there would be a wide rage of responces from it was fraud to total acceptance. We all felt the more devout the believer the less likely they could accept the evidence. Conversly the more mainstream the easier it would be for them to accept proven life on other planets.
27-02-2014, 08:02 PM
My mother was dumbfounded when I told her that there is most definitely life on other planets because it conflicts with her religion.
27-02-2014, 08:03 PM
(29-01-2014 12:25 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  death knell