What would you ask Christopher Hitchens?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2011, 11:14 AM
What would you ask Christopher Hitchens?
So I'm going to see Hitchens debate Dinesh D'Souza in a few weeks at Colorado State University and I'm hoping that they give time to questions (I'm sure they will). Though, I'm trying to figure out what I would ask if given the opportunity.

What would you ask Hitchens? Or any other public atheist or apologetic figure?

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2011, 12:08 PM
RE: What would you ask Christopher Hitchens?
Damn, thats a hard question. I can't think of anything aside from this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qySx8tSs8BQ
I bet you will appreciate that. =P

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
20-03-2011, 12:39 PM
I don't get the video.
I don't know the interview and its way out of context for me Sad

As for Hitchens , ask him what was the best way he found to get a theist to question their beliefs ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
20-03-2011, 01:09 PM

(20-03-2011 11:14 AM)Glaucus Wrote:  So I'm going to see Hitchens debate Dinesh D'Souza in a few weeks at Colorado State University and I'm hoping that they give time to questions (I'm sure they will). Though, I'm trying to figure out what I would ask if given the opportunity.

What would you ask Hitchens? Or any other public atheist or apologetic figure?

I would ask what his personal motivation is. After all of the theists that have challenged him, and all of the religious figures that have denounced his writings, what, specifically is it that gives him the motivation to keep fighting the good fight? How does he not get bogged down and depressed about the rampant ignorance in Christian society?
Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2011, 02:09 PM
ask him how he's doing. I'm really worried for the guy.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
20-03-2011, 03:14 PM
I would ask when he's going to quit being such an arrogant ass and admit we were wrong to invade Iraq.
20-03-2011, 05:35 PM

D'Souza makes me want to vomit.

As for Hitch, I can't think of any questions I have that either he, Dawkins, or Harris hasn't already answered. I'd maybe ask him if there are any other atheist polemicists' out there that we might not know of that we should.

I'd just make it a point to try to get a picture with him and thank him for all he's done.
20-03-2011, 09:15 PM
(20-03-2011 01:09 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  I would ask what his personal motivation is. After all of the theists that have challenged him, and all of the religious figures that have denounced his writings, what, specifically is it that gives him the motivation to keep fighting the good fight? How does he not get bogged down and depressed about the rampant ignorance in Christian society?

I once heard him say that he finds debating interesting, every time. Always a new argument, sometimes a new person.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
21-03-2011, 10:32 AM

(20-03-2011 09:15 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  
(20-03-2011 01:09 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  I would ask what his personal motivation is. After all of the theists that have challenged him, and all of the religious figures that have denounced his writings, what, specifically is it that gives him the motivation to keep fighting the good fight? How does he not get bogged down and depressed about the rampant ignorance in Christian society?

I once heard him say that he finds debating interesting, every time. Always a new argument, sometimes a new person.

That would stand to reason. But I always thought he would get tired of doing the same dance with ignorance again and again. I would. Maybe I am projecting.
21-03-2011, 07:10 PM

A subject came up which presented a question I would love to ask Hitchens:

How do you raise a child up to be a skeptic and free from religion in a country that is over 75% Christian, yet still give him the means to be accepted as a youth?

This is an ongoing discussion with my wife and I guess good fodder for a new thread.