What would you ask Christopher Hitchens?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2011, 11:56 PM
RE: What would you ask Christopher Hitchens?
(21-03-2011 07:10 PM)SANSD8TY Wrote:  A subject came up which presented a question I would love to ask Hitchens:

How do you raise a child up to be a skeptic and free from religion in a country that is over 75% Christian, yet still give him the means to be accepted as a youth?

Excellent question.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2011, 01:03 AM
First, I'm surprised to hear Hitchens is still out debating in public, the last time I saw him on TV he looked very sick. So either he's doing better or he's going down swinging. Good for him either way.

Presuming it didn't come up in the debate, I'd ask him what he thinks of the Pope's recent writings about the Jews re: Jesus' crucifixtion. I'm sure he'd be delighted to share his opinion on the matter.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
22-03-2011, 07:29 AM
(22-03-2011 01:03 AM)hotrodmike Wrote:  First, I'm surprised to hear Hitchens is still out debating in public, the last time I saw him on TV he looked very sick. So either he's doing better or he's going down swinging. Good for him either way.

Presuming it didn't come up in the debate, I'd ask him what he thinks of the Pope's recent writings about the Jews re: Jesus' crucifixtion. I'm sure he'd be delighted to share his opinion on the matter.

Hitchens has actually been speaking and debating almost the whole time he's been sick. It's quite inspiring actually to watch him still stand strong and speak his mind when so many of his religious critics are thinking the cancer should bring him to his knees and make him repent. Last I heard his cancer was in remission (didn't hear an official diagnosis, just a passing statement that it was in remission), and last I saw him he had some of his hair back. His most recent debate/discussion was with Sam Harris and two rabbis - http://www.jewishtvnetwork.com/?bcpid=53...338105001. It's an interesting discussion, and even though the rabbis twist themselves in knots trying to answer (and not answer) questions, it's not nearly as mind-numbing as the standard Christian apologist debates.

As for questions, I don't know. I have a terrible time coming up with questions to ask people.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
23-03-2011, 10:09 AM
(20-03-2011 12:08 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  Damn, thats a hard question. I can't think of anything aside from this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qySx8tSs8BQ
I bet you will appreciate that. =P

Haha, I love it!

I'm worried about Hitchens too, but I haven't heard much about how well treatment is going, that's why I'm anxious to get out to see him. As stubborn as he might be, he won't be here forever.

Soldieringon, I like your question though. There isn't too much that hasn't already been asked, but maybe he has some words of advice for the rest of the rational world. I'll probably just wait and listen to the debate before trying to come up with a question, but if I can't think of anything, I'll gladly pass something on from TTA.

Side note: When this topic is the last to be commented on, in the forum home page it says "Last Post: What would you ask Christ" Big Grin

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-03-2011, 12:18 AM
(23-03-2011 10:09 AM)Glaucus Wrote:  "What would you ask Christ" Big Grin

WTF were you thinking????? Huh

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
24-03-2011, 03:26 AM
SixthGlass- thanks for the update and the link. I wonder how many times Hitchens has to eviscerate these guys in public before they'll finally give up and admit defeat. They must be praying nightly for the cancer to hurry up and send him to hell so they can debate less articulate and aggressive opponents. (That last line is written in jest, folks).

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
25-03-2011, 05:48 PM
(24-03-2011 03:26 AM)hotrodmike Wrote:  They must be praying nightly for the cancer to hurry up and send him to hell so they can debate less articulate and aggressive opponents. (That last line is written in jest, folks).

Written in jest, but probably very true.

28-03-2011, 10:24 AM
I think the most refreshing thing about the discussion with the 2 rabbis was that the rabbis kept referring to the fact that they were "losing."

Why yes gentlemen, you were - how nice of you to notice. Wonder why that is?

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.