What would you die for?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2012, 02:28 PM
What would you die for?
It has been said that "If you're not willing to die for something, then you've lived for nothing", which I think has some validity. So what are the people, things, or ideas that you would be willing to lay down your life for. For me...
  • My wife, and siblings
  • In defence of defenceless people
  • Freedom (whether is is general or a specific freedom as in speech, religion, etc)
  • My species as a whole
  • My country (not my government per se, in a just war)
  • A comrade in said war
That's all I can think of right now...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2012, 02:41 PM
RE: What would you die for?
(10-11-2012 02:28 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  It has been said that "If you're not willing to die for something, then you've lived for nothing", which I think has some validity. So what are the people, things, or ideas that you would be willing to lay down your life for. For me...
  • My wife, and siblings
  • In defence of defenceless people
  • Freedom (whether is is general or a specific freedom as in speech, religion, etc)
  • My species as a whole
  • My country (not my government per se, in a just war)
  • A comrade in said war
That's all I can think of right now...
Yes, and I would add risking my life to save someone in fatal danger.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Id only willingly give my life for my family and two close friends. If risking my own life for anything/anybody else I would think twice.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
10-11-2012, 03:10 PM
That's a tough question. It's not a 'what would you do for a Klondike bar' type, and I really gotta think.

Hmmm...

Is it strange to say I would die for science? Though I probably wouldn't know. :/

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
10-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Interesting question. Without hesitation I would give my life for my wife and children. Beyond that nobody. Seems cruel doesn't it. What kind of human being would let another person die or get injured. My reasoning is that I am, first and foremost, responsible for the well being of my family. Giving my life for anyone outside of that would essentially be harming my family both emotionally and financially.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
10-11-2012, 03:21 PM
My family.

My friends.

My species.

My planet.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
10-11-2012, 03:21 PM
My Kid, and my wife and their freedom.

That is all.

In reality I can be quite confrontational and have a penchant for putting myself in sketchy situations due to a lack of forethought. But given the appropriate length of time for me to formulate a cohesive thought, see above.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
10-11-2012, 03:55 PM
What would you die for?
I think there is a difference between doing something to save another when you know you will save them and know you will die, vs you MIGHT die. I think denial of death might motivate us to protect those we love but we really aren't wired to automatically give our life on purpose. You'd have to override that natural mechanism of self preservation. I'd like to say my wife but I'm not so sure that's accurate. Ever nearly died?
[+] 1 user Likes jmiah's post
10-11-2012, 04:00 PM
(10-11-2012 03:55 PM)jmiah Wrote:  I think there is a difference between doing something to save another when you know you will save them and know you will die, vs you MIGHT die. I think denial of death might motivate us to protect those we love but we really aren't wired to automatically give our life on purpose. You'd have to override that natural mechanism of self preservation. I'd like to say my wife but I'm not so sure that's accurate. Ever nearly died?
Several times.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
10-11-2012, 04:11 PM

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post