What would you die for?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2012, 12:16 PM
RE: What would you die for?
(11-11-2012 07:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Where's your spunk?
In my pants. Confused

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
11-11-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't think I can honestly answer this question without having been in a situation where I have the opportunity to give up my life for something or someone. Right now, I'd second Earmuffs and Vosur and say nothing. But if it came down to it and I had the chance to die to save someone I really loved, I don't know what I'd do.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
11-11-2012, 01:15 PM
(11-11-2012 10:44 AM)Dom Wrote:  I'm with Vera. You guys and your testosterone/hero stuff are nuts.
Well now, that's the crux of the matter, isn't it. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
11-11-2012, 01:16 PM
(11-11-2012 12:23 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  I don't think I can honestly answer this question without having been in a situation where I have the opportunity to give up my life for something or someone. Right now, I'd second Earmuffs and Vosur and say nothing. But if it came down to it and I had the chance to die to save someone I really loved, I don't know what I'd do.
Note to self...don't enter a dangerous situation with Smoochy. No

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
11-11-2012, 02:42 PM
I kept flipping and turning the question around in my mind; trying to figure out why I was having such trouble answering it.

Then I realized that I'm a cold, unfeeling machine with sociopathic tendancies and a strict adherance to logic. To me, the question might as well have been "Which type of water do you thrive in; salt-water or fresh-water?"

I believe it was at that point that most normal people would have "suddenly felt very alone". But I couldn't help but notice a lack of that feeling.

Truly, OP's original list of "things to die for" not only felt very alien to me, but in fact made me feel rather uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, I can understand dying for close loved-ones - even if I wouldn't necessarily do it - but when he starts talking about larger groups and ideals...just makes me feel weird. Dying for all of Mankind? Really? Sorry, but if I'm in some sort of sci-fi movie situation and the fate of Mankind rests on my valiant act of self-sacrifice...well...that movie's gonna have a bleak ending. Mankind is the greatest evil, in my book. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

But, that's me.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
11-11-2012, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2012 03:47 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(11-11-2012 10:52 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 10:49 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I did. I assumed many did not. Tongue

Ok Bucky, you're invited to the Hefeweizen party.
Thanks. But too many carbs. I have a bet going about getting my % body fat lower. Trying to get to 6 %.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
11-11-2012, 05:33 PM
(11-11-2012 02:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 10:52 AM)Dom Wrote:  Ok Bucky, you're invited to the Hefeweizen party.
Thanks. But too many carbs. I have a bet going about getting my % body fat lower. Trying to get to 6 %.

Ok, sparkling mineral water with a slice of lemon for you then.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
11-11-2012, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2012 06:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-11-2012 07:56 AM)Vera Wrote:  Nope, we rarely do. A life not driven by testosterone is great, I tell you Wink

Not so great to have it taken away from you when you've been accustomed to it all of your adult life. It is great to have it restored pharmaceutically after you've been without it for a while and can now appreciate how to use and manipulate it properly. Big Grin

(11-11-2012 12:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I welcome death. Bring it on. Any reason will do.

It does all start to seem a bit tedious after a while doesn't it? The prospect of eternal tedium seems like a proper definition of Hell to me. Sartre and Beckett both capture it nicely in No Exit and waiting for godot, respectively.

(11-11-2012 03:01 AM)Leela Wrote:  * I will not chose a religion even with a gun to my head.
* I will not betray (no matter in what sense) my husband even with a gun to my head.
* I will not shut up about cruelty and unfair behaviour by the government even with a gun to my head.
* I will in general not shut up about my political and social concerns even with a gun to my head

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din! Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-11-2012, 06:17 PM
(11-11-2012 03:01 AM)Leela Wrote:  * I will not chose a religion even with a gun to my head.
* I will not betray (no matter in what sense) my husband even with a gun to my head.
* I will not shut up about cruelty and unfair behaviour by the government even with a gun to my head.
* I will in general not shut up about my political and social concerns even with a gun to my head

Noble words, but I will believe it when I see it. Wink

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
12-11-2012, 07:23 AM
I don't really see the point in asking the question. Without being in a life or death situation where you truly believe you're about to die who can know how they'd act? I suspect people's priorities and views may rapidly shift in such a situation, some of the people who say they wouldn't die for anything might find themselves playing hero and some of the people who have a list of things they'd die for may find they feel differently when faced with a gun.

Personally, I'm inclined to think I prioritise my life above almost everything. I could not imagine dying for something as worthless as my beliefs though I may do for someone important to me.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post