What would you do?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2011, 06:32 AM
What would you do?
Hypothetical: You find proof of the Existence of God, whether it be physical evidence or extremely sound, previously unthought-of, logical reasoning. What do you do with it? Would you reveal it to the world or not?

Hypothetical 2: You find proof of the NON-existence of God, whether...

Basically, just how antitheistic are you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2011, 07:54 AM
RE: What would you do?
(05-02-2011 06:32 AM)LeighJones Wrote:  Hypothetical: You find proof of the Existence of God, whether it be physical evidence or extremely sound, previously unthought-of, logical reasoning. What do you do with it? Would you reveal it to the world or not?

Hypothetical 2: You find proof of the NON-existence of God, whether...

Basically, just how antitheistic are you?
1. There are fairly decent logical reasons to believe in a god. Some are more ironclad than others, but many folks, christian and otherwise have come up with great arguments why a god should exist theoretically. However that is all we get from logical reason when it comes to arguments of that nature. It's the hard, empirical evidence that counts when speaking of existence. I take the scientific approach to it. I will rearrange my life should a deity of some kind pop out and say howdy. But it has to be provable, incontrovertible evidence that he/she/it/they existed. Until I see that day, I find belief in a deity of any type irrelevant.

2. It is impossible to prove a negative.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
05-02-2011, 08:43 AM
You haven't answered the question, ok so you need empirical evidence. The question is: What would you do if it were you who found such empirical evidence? (and it fell to you to decide what to do with it)
05-02-2011, 08:57 AM
My non-belief in god stems from the the total lack of evidence of his existence. If I were to suddenly find proof of his existence and there was no other plausible explanation for that evidence then the existence of god, then I would a) start believing in god and b) start capitalizing the "G" in God every time I wrote it on a going forward basis.

I'll let you know when this happens.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
05-02-2011, 10:07 AM
(05-02-2011 08:43 AM)LeighJones Wrote:  You haven't answered the question, ok so you need empirical evidence. The question is: What would you do if it were you who found such empirical evidence? (and it fell to you to decide what to do with it)
Sure I did. I said I would change my life accordingly. If you need to know the details on that life change, the first thing I would atttempt is communication with this god. I would try to learn the nature of it, it's attributes. I would try and figure what it wanted, if it was a creator, and also, if there are other gods or god-like beings. I would do the same thing I do today: employ reason and ask questions.

05-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Quote:Hypothetical: You find proof of the Existence of God, whether it be physical evidence or extremely sound, previously unthought-of, logical reasoning. What do you do with it? Would you reveal it to the world or not?
Depending on which God you're talking about, Allah or Yahweh, I would convert to the right religion, Islam, Judaism or Christianity, and share the information with the rest of the world.
Quote:Hypothetical 2: You find proof of the NON-existence of God, whether...
Impossible to disprove, since he's omnipotent and could have altered the world so that it seems like he doesn't exist. But if we ignore that, my answer is: I'd share the information. There would still be believers though.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
05-02-2011, 12:14 PM
(05-02-2011 10:58 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:Hypothetical: You find proof of the Existence of God, whether it be physical evidence or extremely sound, previously unthought-of, logical reasoning. What do you do with it? Would you reveal it to the world or not?
Depending on which God you're talking about, Allah or Yahweh, I would convert to the right religion, Islam, Judaism or Christianity, and share the information with the rest of the world.
That's assuming it would be Allah or Yahweh. What if it were deist in nature? Or pantheist, like Brahman? Or part of a polytheism? I assume your answer doesn't change, but I think its a common western fallacy that IF a god existed it would have to be the god of judeo-christian-muslim belief. All deities are just as improbable as the rest.

05-02-2011, 12:28 PM
cfhmagnet Wrote:That's assuming it would be Allah or Yahweh. What if it were deist in nature? Or pantheist, like Brahman? Or part of a polytheism? I assume your answer doesn't change, but I think its a common western fallacy that IF a god existed it would have to be the god of judeo-christian-muslim belief. All deities are just as improbable as the rest.

God was capitalized in the question, so I assumed it meant an Abrahamic god, since it's capitalized only because God is one name of the god. But that doesn't matter, since my answer wouldn't change.

Quote:All deities are just as improbable as the rest.
I'd say that theistic gods are more impobable than deistic gods.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
05-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Quote:All deities are just as improbable as the rest.
I'd say that theistic gods are more impobable than deistic gods.
[/quote]
I think that is true from a rational standpoint, but empirically they are equally improbable.

05-02-2011, 12:46 PM
#1 If I found convincing evidence of anything I don't currently believe, be it god, the boogey-man, or flying pigs, I would change my opinion about their existence. That's the beauty of atheism. I am free to admit when I am wrong, and change my way of thinking. I would freely share this new found evidence with others, and leave it to them to decide whether it is sufficient to change their way of thinking.

#2 I believe this has been covered about a million times, but: not possible.

So many cats, so few good recipes.