What would you do?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2011, 03:37 PM
RE: What would you do?
Hey, Leighjones.

I'm not anti-Theistic. I think that there are a great deal of problems with organised religion, primarily to do with it's place in the (Marxist) superstructure, same as any other control mechanism of the superstructure. But I think within religion as control mechanism, there is a great deal of wisdom and a plethora of important ways to understand the universe and our place in it. Basically, my problem is not with religion, it's with the control mechanisms of hierarchy.

To answer both hypotheticals, in either case, I'd have no choice but to share it with the world.
Quote:As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
-Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights", from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

I think if a person of reason hid proof of the existence of God, they'd no longer be entitled to claim being a person of reason. I think if a Theist hid proof of the non-existence of God, they'd simply be trying to maintain their control. I think if either denied it, they'd be fools.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2011, 11:31 PM
For me, the proof would be to put to the public. I want to know what is and what isn't, and all knowledge is to bring the world to greater understanding of everything. That being said, I would only release it if I was sure it was accurate because I would not want a mistake on my part to cause a greater amout of religious power in our society, schools and government.

I have no use for religion for I have seen no religious based wisdom or knowledge that benefits mankind in any way. Everything good that religion contains is contained in other areas of society, without the brainwashing and bullshit.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
06-02-2011, 11:56 PM
First, I agree with the rest of the forum. That's the beauty of evidence: it doesn't require belief or faith. If the evidence is strong, then it should be given the proper measure of validity. If I walk into my house and see cat shit on the floor, and my cat is nearby looking guilty... there's no reason to reject the evidence. My cat shit on the floor.

I get the feeling the question is biased. Atheists don't share common traits. We're not all pro-science. We're not all anti-theist. We just reject the evidence provided for a theistic being. If such evidence arises, I would:

1. Confirm the evidence as not a hoax
2. Figure out if this deity requires worship, and if not, continue on with my life
3. I would probably still remain atheist in the sense of not joining a religion. People get so wrapped up in being "right" and telling other people what gods want that malicious things are free to develop. I would believe in the god, and I would continue my life.

But really, what evidence could possibly arise that is 100% proof that a god exists? It would have to be nothing short of appearing before the world, doing impossible acts that cannot be explained, and then identifying himself as a god. Other than that, I would just assume it was the works of David Blaine.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
07-02-2011, 06:44 PM
1. I would be a theist. I like to think, at least, that I would hold my convictions, not following/worshipping such an evil being and accepting the consequences that follow. I, of course, would not by any means impose my choice on the rest of the world, however, and would share my findings for everyone else to do what they'd like with it. I wonder how long I would last before I was stoned. Tongue

2. Assuming it was possible, I would absolutely not share it with the world. I would share it with those close to me and put the weight on them. I know it's a bit of weakness showing, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for whatever chaos it caused whenever the crazies suddenly had their world crash down around them (some people really do rely on the idea of a god to keep them in good moral standing, others for meaning to life itself--I couldn't take the pressure of the responsibility of destroying that).

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2011, 07:07 AM

I would find the smartest people I know and further look into my "findings" of this said god. If it were possible to communicate, I would start from scratch and ask this god what he/she/it would like me to do. I am 99% positive that if "god" where to pop up, it would not be one of the fairytale one that people have been worshiping the last ~2000 years.

It's easy to put into perspective. Replace "god" with "alien from a distant galaxy". If the mothership landed what would you do, what would I do?? Don't know unless it were to happen, but it's unlikely that anyone would hide it (unless they thought that they had lost their mind, perhaps.)
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2011, 09:05 AM
If I found an answer that proved religion correct, I'd most likely write a book about it, but first make sure that whatever this evidence proved was what I was promoting (would't want to suggest any leaps of faith past the answer). And after writing the book and allowing everyone the opportunity to see for themselves, I would remain irreligious lest this newfound god actually cared about existence. If I find out that the big fluffy man in the clouds is real. I'll make money off of my findings and continue scorning him for his belligerent inactivity.

If I found undeniable evidence of the impossibility of a god-like entity, then I would yet again write a book and let people have the opportunity to know. Probably the main difference here would be.... nope in either case I would continue scorning people for their suggestions of my irreligious practices.

Finding god or the lack thereof does not mean magically everyone agrees. If we want everyone to magically agree then we need something massive and dangerous because people only put aside their differences when their lives are at stake. Though if I found out ahead of time that an alien race was on it's way to the earth to destroy man-kind that's one thing I probably wouldn't tell many people (especially if there was a way to avoid genocide). Yes I'm horrible, but I've never felt I, or other members of the human race to be that deserving of existence. And besides, what good would it do to tell people, either they'd lock me up and I'd spend the few days left in a confined space. Or they would believe me, and by the time the alien race appeared it would have a lot less work to do.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
10-02-2011, 06:59 PM

(10-02-2011 09:05 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  If I find out that the big fluffy man in the clouds is real. I'll make money off of my findings and continue scorning him for his belligerent inactivity.

Big Grin I love this!

If [biblical] god is real he is like a deadbeat dad who left the mom after he found out she was pregnant, leaving the kid to imagine what daddy is like from stories his or her mom, and wondering if he is even alive. I mean seriously, if god is real why can't he show up every once in a while (even once a century would be plenty of proof!) instead we are suppose to have blind faith in a fairly tale book of many revisions? That is where the theists lost me...
Quote this message in a reply