What year is it, actually?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2014, 08:07 PM
What year is it, actually?
This is a totally stupid question but as I recall when we hit the year 2000 we were actually turning into year 1999 because the first year, which would have been 0, was counted as 1. Am I right? Of course this is the Christian calender we're talking about not the Chinese or Hebrew calender and it's been tinkered with by several Popes, I think.

So if this is true, and I think it is, then the year Israel became a nation, 1948, is a year off and throws all the goofy Biblical prophecies out the window.

I'm not sure where to post this. Maybe the History section would have been better. If the mods want to move it to a more appropriate place feel free. Thanks.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2014, 08:11 PM
RE: What year is it, actually?
when you start arguing assuming that the prophecy would be true if the dates matched, then you lost the argument.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
25-02-2014, 08:36 PM
(25-02-2014 08:11 PM)nach_in Wrote:  when you start arguing assuming that the prophecy would be true if the dates matched, then you lost the argument.

True. Prophecies are so dumb to begin with but just for arguments sake I'm thinking the calender has been "fixed" by several people over the centuries and the first year, or year zero, wasn't counted as zero but as 1 even before the 12 months ran their course.

I distinctly remember people celebrating 2001 as the real turn of the millennium.

“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
25-02-2014, 08:48 PM
yeah, for the sake of argument people have messed with the calendar so many times we're probably back in the right date by now Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
25-02-2014, 09:03 PM
It's odd that the Christians have successfully bullied the world into AD time.
Do any of the Muslim countries use an alternative system in place of the Christian one, or are they just for cultural novelty now ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
25-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Depends what calendar you're talking about. The Julian calendar was a change around the turn of the millennium, (haven't gone back to see what effect it had), but I do know (Pope) Gregory dropped 10 days off the calendar in October back when. Yeah, it does kinda mess with their (abominations) sooth-saying, and divination. Tongue
http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/greg...endar.html

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (ESV)
"There shall not be found among you anyone who ...... practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord. And because of these abominations the Lord your God is driving them out before you."

Leviticus 19:26 (ESV)
“You shall not eat any flesh with the blood in it. You shall not interpret omens or tell fortunes."

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
25-02-2014, 09:39 PM
(25-02-2014 09:03 PM)sporehux Wrote:  It's odd that the Christians have successfully bullied the world into AD time.
Do any of the Muslim countries use an alternative system in place of the Christian one, or are they just for cultural novelty now ?

Not just the Muslim countries but also the Chinese. I think in modern times it's because English is the language of money and therefore our calender comes with the deal. In previous years Christians just trounced on other cultures and shoved our calender down peoples throats. The Inca calender was destroyed and replaced with the christian calender. I don't know a thing about how the Northern American counted their years and days.

I also believe the christian calender is three years off because they were wrong about Jesus' supposed birth. I donno. It gets very complicated and the whole thing is fucked what with leap year not being added correctly for quite some time.

If one wanted to be a bit more accurate you'd have to go back to the Big Bang and count from there.

25-02-2014, 09:50 PM
(25-02-2014 09:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Depends what calendar you're talking about. The Julian calendar was a change around the turn of the millennium, (haven't gone back to see what effect it had), but I do know (Pope) Gregory dropped 10 days off the calendar in October back when. Yeah, it does kinda mess with their (abominations) sooth-saying, and divination. Tongue
http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/greg...endar.html

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (ESV)
"There shall not be found among you anyone who ...... practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord. And because of these abominations the Lord your God is driving them out before you."

Leviticus 19:26 (ESV)
“You shall not eat any flesh with the blood in it. You shall not interpret omens or tell fortunes."

Doesn't the Eastern Orthodox church have a different calender as well?

The Romans had a 10 month calender and then added July after Julius Caesar and August after Augustus Caesar. How this messes with the Jesus birth year I'm not sure. I tried to read up on it but I've got a cold and nothing makes sense right now.

25-02-2014, 10:03 PM
(25-02-2014 09:39 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  If one wanted to be a bit more accurate you'd have to go back to the Big Bang and count from there.

Couldn't be a year then (rotation cycle), also whats bugged me about the expansion, is that if its accelerating now, then how slow was it at origin, and if gravity can't be added/removed like energy then the time dilation at origin (the whole universe of matter in 1 spot) is incomprehensible, more so then the relatively insignificant black holes are currently.
i think i'm off topic gain Confused

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
01-03-2014, 11:56 PM
It's approximately year 13.82 billion.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.