Whatever you believe, happens to you

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Whatever you believe, happens to you
...When I was younger, before I got too deep into the theist/atheist debate this is what I used to tell people. I was brought up as an atheist my father used to tell the principle of my school that when religious instruction class was on I was to go to the library for the period. So yeah I didn't have much to do with religion as a youth, but thinking back on it now I think it was a pretty wise opinion. Everyone's life is their own an if that's all you get then... that's all you get. I personally don't want to waste it focussing on the what may never happen and what to make the most of what I've got.
Which was what I was subtleing implying I guess when I told them that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Walluin's post
09-04-2017, 03:51 PM
RE: Whatever you believe, happens to you
What kind of religious instruction was it? The "learn about beliefs and cultures" kind, or the "this is what you will believe" kind?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
09-04-2017, 04:02 PM
Over-simplistic expressions like that really grind my gears. I can sit and listen endlessly to sermons if I have to and hear someone gush about their God if needs be (just make sure there is a vomit bag within arm's reach or things get messy ... fast).

But I cannot stand it when someone throws at me one of those pretentious little sayings as if they can wrap up the entire state of my life in one cutesy little meme.

Especially one that foists all of the blame, all of the fault onto my head.

I'm not claiming to be a victim, per se, though I'm facing a lot of issues simultaneously that the vast majority of people never have to. And these issues are permanent so there's no waiting it out until things get better, either.

While I'll gladly and humbly accept blame for the mistakes I've made, I can honestly say that literally none of those permanent issues occurred through any fault of my own.

So I would take mild to severe offense (depending on my mood) if someone handed me a saying like that -- as if I wanted my life to turn out the way it did.

Or, worse still, reading between the lines and knowing -- oh right, so what you're saying is: Because I'm an atheist and don't believe in your God, my life turned to shit. Right? Hmm? Isn't that the veiled meaning here?

Now ... where in bloody hell is that vomit bag ...

"If my God exists, then the laws in the Bible should apply to everyone. I am certain my God exists, so ..." -- words of a theocratic fascist justifying theocratic fascism.
[+] 3 users Like Shirina's post
25-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Whatever you believe happens to you is true. I am a positive person, i am patient and and always believe in kindness.