Whats the nicest thing someone has ever done for you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Whats the nicest thing someone has ever done for you?
Saw this article and it gave me the idea that this kind of thread would be a good addition to our stickies.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/48727-wha...CMfacebook

Off the top of my head it has to be when my dad, at a momen't notice, drove 5 hours to help us deal with the aftermath of a storm. Our house was partially flooded, we lost both cars, there was crap everywhere, drywall falling off the wall and we felt defeated. And in comes my sixty-something year-old father taking charge and helping us get our house back together. Still makes me tear up.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
20-11-2014, 01:43 PM
RE: Whats the nicest thing someone has ever done for you?
I think the manner in which my parents raised me was the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. They raised me to be a freethinker, to think independently, to always, always be curious, to learn new things, to interest myself in history, music and especially the arts. They supported my dancing when we had no money and encouraged me throughout my teenaged years. They thought I was the greatest thing West of the Mississippi and East of the Himalayas All of that has shaped my life in ways I probably can't fully put together.

So it wasn't really a single good deed but 18 years of good deeds piled one onto another.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
20-11-2014, 01:46 PM
Me mate Chaz gave me a quid to buy some chicken nuggets last Friday...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-11-2014, 03:12 PM
I didn't have a particularly good upbringing so a lot of the nicest things people did for me involved highly illegal methods of protection. One of my friend's uncles once shot at someone who had threatened to shoot at me... Ehem.

My friend Richard bought me an entire barrel of beer for a party, but he drank a good 12 pints from it so it wasn't exactly selfless :L

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
20-11-2014, 05:26 PM
When I had my mastectomies my best friend's mother made me a quilt. My friend sent a note with it that said since she couldn't be with me she was sending me a hug in the form of a quilt made with love.

Gosh I love and miss them both. Wisconsin is just too far and too cold for many visits.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
20-11-2014, 06:08 PM
(20-11-2014 05:26 PM)Anjele Wrote:  When I had my mastectomies my best friend's mother made me a quilt. My friend sent a note with it that said since she couldn't be with me she was sending me a hug in the form of a quilt made with love.

Gosh I love and miss them both. Wisconsin is just too far and too cold for many visits.

That's great Anj. I wish you all the best too.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
20-11-2014, 08:28 PM
(20-11-2014 06:08 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(20-11-2014 05:26 PM)Anjele Wrote:  When I had my mastectomies my best friend's mother made me a quilt. My friend sent a note with it that said since she couldn't be with me she was sending me a hug in the form of a quilt made with love.

That's great Anj. I wish you all the best too.

I am doing well, thanks. And I still love that quilt. The lady who made it for me turned 83 this week - still going strong and still feisty. Big Grin

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
20-11-2014, 08:58 PM
I was trying to take the bullet train from Tokyo back to Hachinohe, but wasn't quite sure where to buy my ticket. I asked an old Japanese guy who looked like he knew what he was doing. He showed me to the ticket counter, then went up to buy his own ticket and explain to them what I wanted. When it was my turn, they handed me my ticket, no charge. Apparently the guy had not only explained to them where I was trying to go, but paid for the ticket as well. A ticket from Tokyo to Hachinohe, btw, was the equivalent of about $200. He had already walked away without so much as giving me his name or waiting for a thank you.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
20-11-2014, 09:41 PM
What a lovely idea for a sticky! It's always good to share things like this. All heart warmy like we've got quilts and hot chocolate/alcohol/whatever makes people feel warm and fuzzy! Yeah!!!! Bring out the kittens,puppies and field of flowers!

Hm, for me, I don't know if there is THE nicest moment for me yet. I'll share one I remember fondly though. In my third year of my college, my friend and roomie moved out to help our other friend focus on his thesis paper (they were both seniors and he had stress issues and my roomie is closer to him than I was). We didn't talk much because distance, homework, and work.. Was lonely though I had two friends that I ate lunch with. Wasn't as best buddies with them as I was with my roomie and they were more buddy buddy with each other (biology majors) but I really did enjoy whenever I hung out with them. Well, my birthday rolled around. Didn't really announce it. I don't like drawing a lot of attention to myself. Just briefly mentioned it now and again a few days before. Got a call from my parents, of course, but for the most part, no one said anything. Not even my great buddy ex-roomie called me. Though I was happy for no big hoop-lah, I did feel forgotten. So after dinner, I went to my room, went to pick a game to play, and I heard a knock on my door. I opened it and there were the two I ate dinner with, holding a small chocolate cake that said, "happy birthday Suzanne" on it. I felt so...important. It was a small thing but it meant a lot.

[Image: notagain.gif]
20-11-2014, 09:53 PM
Divorced me.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post