When Did God Start Giving A Damn?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2014, 06:15 AM
When Did God Start Giving A Damn?
If the human species has been walking around the Earth for roughly 200 thousand years, why did God wait so long to give us his divine guidance through the Old Testament?

And if anyone knows, where about the timeline do we date the writings of the Old Testament?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2014, 06:17 AM
RE: When Did God Start Giving A Damn?
(19-08-2014 06:15 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  If the human species has been walking around the Earth for roughly 200 thousand years, why did God wait so long to give us his divine guidance through the Old Testament?

And if anyone knows, where about the timeline do we date the writings of the Old Testament?

"Let's say that the consensus is that our species, we being the higher primates, homo sapiens, has been on the planet for at least one-hundred thousand years. In order to be Christian, you have to believe that for ninety-eight thousand years, our species suffered and died, most of its children dying in childbirth, most other people having a life expectancy of about twenty-five, dying of their teeth. Famine, struggle, bitterness, war, suffering, misery. All of that for ninety-eight thousand years. Heaven watches it with complete indifference. And then two thousand years ago thinks that's enough of that, it's time to intervene. The best way to do this would be by condemning someone to a human sacrifice somewhere in the less literate parts of the middle east. Let's not appear to the Chinese, for example, where people can read and study evidence and have a civilization. Let's go to the desert and have another revelation there. This is nonsense. It can't be believed by a thinking person." -Christopher Hitchens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating_the_Bible

The oldest surviving Hebrew Bible manuscripts including the Dead Sea Scrolls date to about the 2nd century BCE (fragmentary) and some are stored at the Shrine of the Book in Jerusalem. The oldest record of the complete text survives in a Greek translation called the Septuagint, dating to the 4th century CE (Codex Sinaiticus). The oldest extant manuscripts of the vocalized Masoretic Text, which modern editions are based upon, date to the 9th century CE.[citation needed] With the exception of a few biblical sections in the Prophets, virtually no biblical text is contemporaneous with the events it describes.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
19-08-2014, 06:30 AM
To answer the question in the title of the thread, "NEVER".

First he does not exist.

But if we pretend for argument's sake, he is a fucking dick for being selective about what happens, doesn't have to be held to account for anything bad, then blames humans for what he didn't have to set up in the first place.

"I don't owe you an explanation. I can do what I want to you without your permission" is selfish narcissism, not love. It is the recipe for abusive spouses, mafia bosses and dictators.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-08-2014, 06:33 AM
(19-08-2014 06:30 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  "I don't owe you an explanation. I can do what I want to you without your permission" is selfish narcissism, not love. It is the recipe for abusive spouses, mafia bosses and dictators.

[Image: -Whatever-Ci-I-Do-What-I-Want-GIF.gif]

19-08-2014, 06:42 AM
Re: When Did God Start Giving A Damn?
When a found a fool willingly open to killing his son just because a voice told him too.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-08-2014, 06:49 AM
Gods were invented by humans to fill in the gaps of their understanding. As humans understand things better the need for gods goes away. IMO we are to the point where we have enough of a grasp on the natural world to understand there is not god behind things. The only questions left where a god fits in are the meaning of life and what happens after we die.
19-08-2014, 07:07 AM
(19-08-2014 06:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 06:15 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  If the human species has been walking around the Earth for roughly 200 thousand years, why did God wait so long to give us his divine guidance through the Old Testament?

"Let's say that the consensus is that our species, we being the higher primates, homo sapiens, has been on the planet for at least one-hundred thousand years. In order to be Christian, you have to believe that for ninety-eight thousand years, our species suffered and died, most of its children dying in childbirth, most other people having a life expectancy of about twenty-five, dying of their teeth. Famine, struggle, bitterness, war, suffering, misery. All of that for ninety-eight thousand years. Heaven watches it with complete indifference. And then two thousand years ago thinks that's enough of that, it's time to intervene. The best way to do this would be by condemning someone to a human sacrifice somewhere in the less literate parts of the middle east. Let's not appear to the Chinese, for example, where people can read and study evidence and have a civilization. Let's go to the desert and have another revelation there. This is nonsense. It can't be believed by a thinking person." -Christopher Hitchens

The oldest surviving Hebrew Bible manuscripts including the Dead Sea Scrolls date to about the 2nd century BCE (fragmentary) and some are stored at the Shrine of the Book in Jerusalem. The oldest record of the complete text survives in a Greek translation called the Septuagint, dating to the 4th century CE (Codex Sinaiticus). The oldest extant manuscripts of the vocalized Masoretic Text, which modern editions are based upon, date to the 9th century CE.[citation needed] With the exception of a few biblical sections in the Prophets, virtually no biblical text is contemporaneous with the events it describes.

Something he touched on in here which I love " It is the willingness, the want to be enslaved". Kind of answered an age old questioned for me. Why black Americans still follow the religion of those who enslaved them? The want to be enslaved.
19-08-2014, 07:12 AM
(19-08-2014 07:07 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 06:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  "Let's say that the consensus is that our species, we being the higher primates, homo sapiens, has been on the planet for at least one-hundred thousand years. In order to be Christian, you have to believe that for ninety-eight thousand years, our species suffered and died, most of its children dying in childbirth, most other people having a life expectancy of about twenty-five, dying of their teeth. Famine, struggle, bitterness, war, suffering, misery. All of that for ninety-eight thousand years. Heaven watches it with complete indifference. And then two thousand years ago thinks that's enough of that, it's time to intervene. The best way to do this would be by condemning someone to a human sacrifice somewhere in the less literate parts of the middle east. Let's not appear to the Chinese, for example, where people can read and study evidence and have a civilization. Let's go to the desert and have another revelation there. This is nonsense. It can't be believed by a thinking person." -Christopher Hitchens

Something he touched on in here which I love " It is the willingness, the want to be enslaved". Kind of answered an age old questioned for me. Why black Americans still follow the religion of those who enslaved them? The want to be enslaved.
Sounds like Loki's speech out side the museum in The Avengers.
19-08-2014, 07:12 AM
(19-08-2014 06:30 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  "I don't owe you an explanation. I can do what I want to you without your permission" is selfish narcissism, not love. It is the recipe for abusive spouses, mafia bosses and dictators.

Thumbsup
19-08-2014, 07:13 AM
(19-08-2014 07:07 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 06:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  "Let's say that the consensus is that our species, we being the higher primates, homo sapiens, has been on the planet for at least one-hundred thousand years. In order to be Christian, you have to believe that for ninety-eight thousand years, our species suffered and died, most of its children dying in childbirth, most other people having a life expectancy of about twenty-five, dying of their teeth. Famine, struggle, bitterness, war, suffering, misery. All of that for ninety-eight thousand years. Heaven watches it with complete indifference. And then two thousand years ago thinks that's enough of that, it's time to intervene. The best way to do this would be by condemning someone to a human sacrifice somewhere in the less literate parts of the middle east. Let's not appear to the Chinese, for example, where people can read and study evidence and have a civilization. Let's go to the desert and have another revelation there. This is nonsense. It can't be believed by a thinking person." -Christopher Hitchens

And the excuse for all of the white christians who lack a slavery background? Your logic doesn't follow...