When Do Beliefs Deserve Respect?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2016, 12:41 PM
RE: When Do Beliefs Deserve Respect?
Consider When Do Beliefs Deserve Respect?

I can respect almost anyone's right to believe whatever they want. As long as that belief doesn't extend outside their brain. Dodgy

Generally, I gotta go with Patton on this:
I acknowledge anyone's right to believe anything they want. Once their belief is out of their mouth - once expressed - that belief should be able to stand up to everyone else's freedom to think otherwise. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
21-11-2016, 12:45 PM
We gotta respect everybodies right to have a belief, we dont have to respect this belief itself.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
21-11-2016, 12:52 PM
Belifs don't deserve respect, only (ssome) people do.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
21-11-2016, 12:58 PM
(21-11-2016 12:45 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  We gotta respect everybodies right to have a belief, we dont have to respect this belief itself.

I'm never quite sure what that is supposed to mean. If somebody has a belief that I do not respect and they keep it to themselves then it is pretty meaningless whether I respect their right or not. It isn't like I can force them to change it or would even care one way or the other. I don't accept thought crime as a valid thing so I have no opinion at all about the private thoughts of others.

Once they express the belief I am free to respect it or not based on how well they can substantiate it. If they can't substantiate it and still maintain it, or try to impose it on others, then I will likely lose respect for the person as well.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
21-11-2016, 12:58 PM
(21-11-2016 09:01 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Good point. We respect Aristotle's beliefs even though they were demonstrably wrong. He was a great thinker.

No we should respect Aristotle as a great thinker, but NOT his beliefs.

We should respect Newton as a great thinker and contributor to modern science but NOT his beliefs which to be honest were quite loopy. He wrote many works that would now be classified as occult studies, he was an anti-trinitarian, and in his eyes, worshipping Christ as God was idolatry, to him the fundamental sin. He spent half his life muddling with alchemy, looking for the philosopher's stone.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
21-11-2016, 01:07 PM
(21-11-2016 12:58 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(21-11-2016 12:45 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  We gotta respect everybodies right to have a belief, we dont have to respect this belief itself.

I'm never quite sure what that is supposed to mean. If somebody has a belief that I do not respect and they keep it to themselves then it is pretty meaningless whether I respect their right or not. It isn't like I can force them to change it or would even care one way or the other. I don't accept thought crime as a valid thing so I have no opinion at all about the private thoughts of others.

Once they express the belief I am free to respect it or not based on how well they can substantiate it. If they can't substantiate it and still maintain it, or try to impose it on others, then I will likely lose respect for the person as well.

Well, then you have completely understood and agreed to what i meant.
Where is the problem?

21-11-2016, 01:09 PM
(21-11-2016 12:58 PM)Silly Deity Wrote:  
(21-11-2016 09:01 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Good point. We respect Aristotle's beliefs even though they were demonstrably wrong. He was a great thinker.

No we should respect Aristotle as a great thinker, but NOT his beliefs.

You're absolutely right. I said that all wrong.
21-11-2016, 01:30 PM
(21-11-2016 01:07 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(21-11-2016 12:58 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I'm never quite sure what that is supposed to mean. If somebody has a belief that I do not respect and they keep it to themselves then it is pretty meaningless whether I respect their right or not. It isn't like I can force them to change it or would even care one way or the other. I don't accept thought crime as a valid thing so I have no opinion at all about the private thoughts of others.

Well, then you have completely understood and agreed to what i meant.
Where is the problem?

No problem. I just don't think that the phrase "respect the right to have a belief" is very meaningful. I don't respect something just because I can't do anything about it. At best, I try to ignore it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
21-11-2016, 01:32 PM
(21-11-2016 11:37 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(21-11-2016 08:36 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  What does Patton Oswalt say?

[Image: 481576fedb16bed61062a835d19c6285.jpg]

Fuckin' nailed it. Good job Patton, go get yourself a cookie.
Isn't that the guy who was in the "Let's Go" skit from the comedy group Human Giant? Laugh out load

Start at 14:45.

That is Patton, at the 16:00 mark.

He's also known for the Parks & Recreation improvised 'Star Wars Filibuster'.

And, of course, for the 'Sky Cake' bit.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
21-11-2016, 01:40 PM
(21-11-2016 01:30 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(21-11-2016 01:07 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Well, then you have completely understood and agreed to what i meant.
Where is the problem?

No problem. I just don't think that the phrase "respect the right to have a belief" is very meaningful. I don't respect something just because I can't do anything about it. At best, I try to ignore it.

Of course it is meaningful and you could do someting against a persons right to believe (what he/she wants): You could introduce thought crime, and thus take away their right to believe. That would be disrespect of the right to believe.