When Do Beliefs Deserve Respect?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2016, 07:03 AM
RE: When Do Beliefs Deserve Respect?
(22-11-2016 06:29 AM)Velvet Wrote:  
(22-11-2016 06:24 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  No you don't. You don't have to respect idiots, lamers, cretins and people who demand that you "think right!"

Fair enough, that's a whole other topic which would be interesting to discuss as well.

But let's first establish that we should never "respect a belief" regardless of anything, because it will only cloud judgment and shield against honest inquiry, supported theories don't need that anyways.
Department of Obvious called.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2016, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2016 07:17 AM by Velvet.)
(22-11-2016 07:03 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Department of Obvious called.

Well if you read the previous page you'll notice its not so obvious for some in the way it is for you (and me).

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
Find all posts by this user
22-11-2016, 07:58 AM
(22-11-2016 07:09 AM)Velvet Wrote:  
(22-11-2016 07:03 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Department of Obvious called.

Well if you read the previous page you'll notice its not so obvious for some in the way it is for you (and me).

Well, the Department of Oblivious is never understaffed. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
22-11-2016, 08:02 AM
Short answer: Never.

Long answer: If you're my buddy and starting spewing from the neck, maybe; but don't make it a habit. Angel

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-11-2016, 12:17 PM
I don't understand how a belief can be respected. I thought its the person you respect.

On a scale with disrespect of the far left, don't care on the middle and respect on the far right, it'd have to be some pretty righteous shit to earn my respect.

For example- Gandhi for his belief in non-violence, I respect.

Unless you're doin something that helps a lot of people, I really don't care.

If your beliefs are directly causing me problems, then and only then will I politely ask you to fuck off..
[+] 1 user Likes underdogFTW's post
22-11-2016, 12:54 PM
(22-11-2016 12:17 PM)underdogFTW Wrote:  I don't understand how a belief can be respected. I thought its the person you respect.

On a scale with disrespect of the far left, don't care on the middle and respect on the far right, it'd have to be some pretty righteous shit to earn my respect.

You respect Gandhi's belief in non-violence even though Gandhi was of fairly questionable moral rectitude as an individual. That should clear your confusion in the first paragraph.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
23-11-2016, 01:42 AM
(22-11-2016 12:54 PM)tomilay Wrote:  You respect Gandhi's belief in non-violence even though Gandhi was of fairly questionable moral rectitude as an individual. That should clear your confusion in the first paragraph.

Yeah, but I still respect Gandhi FOR his beliefs.
Also, Gandhi's moral rectitude was never in question(EVER). If one thing is attested again and again its his moral rectitude. There were a lot of people who thought Gandhi was too soft but he wouldn't budge. People do recognise his contribution in the freedom movement even today. I'm not saying he was born perfect, but as time went on and he realized the nation looked up to him, he understood the challenge and then became the man his country needed.

But I digress. I get your point though. But its still shaky! Would you respect a Nazi's loyalty? Or a slave owner's resolve? Or a warlord's courage?
It would make a lot more sense to either respect or not respect the person in question.

Either way, I think the OP meant it in a much broader sense(like elders should be respected)..
23-11-2016, 07:52 AM
(22-11-2016 12:54 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(22-11-2016 12:17 PM)underdogFTW Wrote:  I don't understand how a belief can be respected. I thought its the person you respect.

You respect Gandhi's belief in non-violence even though Gandhi was of fairly questionable moral rectitude as an individual. That should clear your confusion in the first paragraph.

Totes lol'd.

(23-11-2016 01:42 AM)underdogFTW Wrote:  Either way, I think the OP meant it in a much broader sense(like elders should be respected)..

What you propose is respect of the position, neither person or belief. Position of Christianity doesn't really deserve respect.

living word
23-11-2016, 08:20 AM
(23-11-2016 07:52 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ...
Position of Christianity doesn't really deserve respect.

You have no respect for the Missionary position?

Confused

23-11-2016, 08:36 AM
Would anyone "respect" believers beliefs if they were certain the Cottingly fairies were real?