When Do Beliefs Deserve Respect?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2016, 09:45 AM
RE: When Do Beliefs Deserve Respect?
onlinebiker Wrote:Who determines, at what criteria that any particular person's beliefs is valid and deserving of respect???

IMO, it comes down to the individual person. For me, I value the traits of understanding, mutual-respect, being non-judgemental, and engaging difference with curiosity and inquiry. As a result, if I'm engaging someone in a rational dialog about their beliefs, especially if this person attaches a lot of face to them, then being respectful on all fronts is simply me being who I am.

onlinebiker Wrote:Why does Christianity get the nod --- and "The Flat Earth Society" get laughed at????

I'd say because enough people have been conditioned via various forms of socialization to give it the nod, and unfortunately, to respond to different ways of thinking with fear and/or ridicule.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
23-11-2016, 09:48 AM
RE: When Do Beliefs Deserve Respect?
(23-11-2016 09:45 AM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  
onlinebiker Wrote:Who determines, at what criteria that any particular person's beliefs is valid and deserving of respect???

IMO, it comes down to the individual person. For me, I value the traits of understanding, mutual-respect, being non-judgemental, and engaging difference with curiosity and inquiry. As a result, if I'm engaging someone in a rational dialog about their beliefs, especially if this person attaches a lot of face to them, then being respectful on all fronts is simply me being who I am.

onlinebiker Wrote:Why does Christianity get the nod --- and "The Flat Earth Society" get laughed at????

I'd say because enough people have been conditioned via various forms of socialization to give it the nod, and unfortunately, to respond to different ways of thinking with fear and/or ridicule.

I would say that because the Earth is so easily proven scientifically to be round that even a man over 2,200 years ago managed to prove this using mere shadows and someone to do one hell of a lot of walking to measure the distance.

Where as god can neither be proven nor unproven scientifically.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply