When God was a Girl

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2012, 12:11 PM
When God was a Girl
Divine Women – When God was a Girl

BBC documentary video (190Mb) uncovering the hidden history of women in religion. Bettany Hughes investigates goddess worship across the world and ancient conceptions of the divine.

Download here .
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Scarlet Pimpernel's post
14-04-2012, 02:55 AM
RE: When God was a Girl
I’ve talked this book up before: Time to be Rational - Darwin, Demons and Sex by Geoff Simons. First chapter covers the idea of female deity worship in antiquity in great detail, with a deluge of references. I'll defiantly be giving your doco a look tonight. Nice post.

"Gary, it's burning, what we gonna do"
-Bill Bailey
14-04-2012, 06:05 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2012 07:19 AM by Bucky Ball.)
If ya haven't read or watched Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth, ya really ought to. I finally understood Catholic's obsession with Mary, when I did.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_goddess
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goddess

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
14-04-2012, 07:12 AM
(14-04-2012 02:55 AM)Dunhill808 Wrote:  female deity worship in antiquity

... and judging by our "boobs" thread, that worship continues to this day.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
14-04-2012, 10:04 PM
I was in a discussion group on this a few weeks ago. The research shows that if women ran the world we would solve our differences by having sex. Where the hell did we go wrong?
Any woman for president.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
14-04-2012, 10:23 PM
(14-04-2012 10:04 PM)Thomas Wrote:  I was in a discussion group on this a few weeks ago. The research shows that if women ran the world we would solve our differences by having sex. Where the hell did we go wrong?
Any woman for president.

Gotta be true. I first had sex the year Thatcher became PM!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-04-2012, 07:13 AM
(14-04-2012 10:04 PM)Thomas Wrote:  I was in a discussion group on this a few weeks ago. The research shows that if women ran the world we would solve our differences by having sex. Where the hell did we go wrong?
Any woman for president.
We humans took the wrong turn in evolution and got a patriarchal machismo society where it is customary to bash the other's head in if they don't agree with you.
The Bonobos, however, took the right turn in evolution and got a matriarchal hippie society where it is customary to literally fuck the other one if they have a different opinion.
Bonobos fuck every other Bonobo they can. All day long. Everyday. Same age Bonobos, same sex Bonobos, old and young Bonobos. All Bonobos! It lubricates their society and prevents aggression and violence.

Wish we humans had that.

[Image: Bonobo-04.jpg]

Maybe, just maybe, Minoïc Crete had a similar society. All destroyed by the Thera eruption.

[Image: Snake_Goddess_Crete_1600BC.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Scarlet Pimpernel's post
15-04-2012, 07:22 AM
(14-04-2012 10:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
Any woman for president.
Gotta be true. I first had sex the year Thatcher became PM!
Apparently you didn't sex her up very well. She seemed kinda cranky all the time.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
15-04-2012, 07:40 AM
(15-04-2012 07:22 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(14-04-2012 10:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Gotta be true. I first had sex the year Thatcher became PM!
Apparently you didn't sex her up very well. She seemed kinda cranky all the time.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin