When Has Magic Ever Been Proven To Be The True Answer For Anything?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2014, 08:52 AM
RE: When Has Magic Ever Been Proven To Be The True Answer For Anything?
Arguably the claim of nothing that has been understood being found to be magic can be seen as tautological. It can essentially amount to "We don't think of things that we understand as being magical". It's a good line, but one you might want to delve deeper into if you are going to use it as a serious line of argumentation.

More to the point perhaps is that no explanation we have found for events hinges of the interference with external entities such as ghosts, gods, fairies or trolls. This again can come down to definitions, though. There are monsters out there in the dark. We name them "bear", "tiger", and "lion". We don't think of these things a supernatural or magical but they are beyond our nature and beyond our capability in many ways. What we have done in classifying, studying, and controlling them is to demystify the beast.

But there is clearly a class of animal and a class of phenomena that although seemingly known and widely claimed since antiquity no trace of them or their actions can be found, and not through want of looking. Those possessing the seemingly contradictory properties of wanting to be known enough for people to be aware of them, but being powerful enough and wanting sufficiently to hide away that they cannot be discovered when rigorously searched for.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2014, 09:34 AM
[Image: image.jpg]

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
25-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Well here's a list of Vatican approved miracles from Lourdes. http://www.miraclehunter.com/marian_appa...cles1.html

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
25-03-2014, 03:22 PM
(25-03-2014 03:10 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Well here's a list of Vatican approved miracles from Lourdes. http://www.miraclehunter.com/marian_appa...cles1.html

See post #12 for my response...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
25-03-2014, 04:01 PM
(25-03-2014 03:22 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(25-03-2014 03:10 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Well here's a list of Vatican approved miracles from Lourdes. http://www.miraclehunter.com/marian_appa...cles1.html

See post #12 for my response...

Fair enough

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc