"When Leaving Religion Costs You Everything" Brandon Withrow

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2016, 03:29 PM
"When Leaving Religion Costs You Everything" Brandon Withrow
This is an excellent article and easy read about the importance of coming out as atheists in America. Solidarity rocks!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...thing.html

"BULLY PULPIT06.25.16 11:01 PM ET

When Leaving Religion Costs You Everything

Despite the rapid growth in the number of atheists, losing your faith can also cost you a job, your friends, and your family.

In the first week of June, secular voters converged at the Lincoln Memorial—atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, and unbelievers of all stripes, came to celebrate what they have in common, to raise awareness among their representatives, and to fight bigotry.

The Reason Rally, as it is called, was a reminder that secularism isn’t going away anytime soon." (cont. on link)

[Image: 48896905.cached.jpg]

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2016, 03:48 PM
RE: "When Leaving Religion Costs You Everything" Brandon Withrow
I feel so bad for anyone who reveals their atheism and gets disowned or shunned by their family and friends. My dad tried to disown me but we weren't even that close at that point, he's since gotten over it, I think he was just shocked by it at first. I think it's funny how much my parents weren't the best and they expected me to want their approval, if anything it only made me want to be less like them in every way, the more religious they were the more I rebelled against it. But I did read the damn Bible like they asked me to, just fueled the fire of my deconversion.

I think the more our country de-converts, the more radical and extreme the evangelicals will become. They've had the run of the place for a long time, they still hold huge numbers but their social agenda is too old fashioned and it's holding many people back, it's the opposite of freedom. I suspect they will go out with a bang kicking and screaming the entire way. I'll look forward to the next few decades and hope my kids will grow up in a more secular society.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
26-06-2016, 04:09 PM
(26-06-2016 03:48 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I feel so bad for anyone who reveals their atheism and gets disowned or shunned by their family and friends. My dad tried to disown me but we weren't even that close at that point, he's since gotten over it, I think he was just shocked by it at first. I think it's funny how much my parents weren't the best and they expected me to want their approval, if anything it only made me want to be less like them in every way, the more religious they were the more I rebelled against it. But I did read the damn Bible like they asked me to, just fueled the fire of my deconversion.

I think the more our country de-converts, the more radical and extreme the evangelicals will become. They've had the run of the place for a long time, they still hold huge numbers but their social agenda is too old fashioned and it's holding many people back, it's the opposite of freedom. I suspect they will go out with a bang kicking and screaming the entire way. I'll look forward to the next few decades and hope my kids will grow up in a more secular society.

Oh I agree that we will see a rise in fanatical behaviors from the fanatical religious. As their tower crumbles before their eyes it will drive them to extremes. That part will not be pretty but I think it will not only be expected but helpful in pulling away the last shrouds of delusion of the human/god relationship.

Part of the success of the "nones" growing in such numbers is the free exchange of world news. This has allowed them to see for themselves what information the elders have kept from them as they grew up. They have been able to mix the info of religious indoctrination with the info of humanism, science and world views and found them like mixing oil and water, nearly incompatible. That has driven the increase more than anything else.

Communication educates. No oppression can withstand the power of knowledge.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
26-06-2016, 06:44 PM
Quote:Despite the rapid growth in the number of atheists, losing your faith can also cost you a job, your friends, and your family.

Then one should evaluate the commitment of those alleged friends and family members.

Quote:Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Matty 7:1

Xtians are largely full of shit.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!