When/Will religion die out?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
17-03-2010, 12:57 PM
When/Will religion die out?
Do you think that religion will ever die out, or at least become a laughable minority? If so, when?

I'm thinking in generations, pretty soon. Within two or three generations, religion will be significantly reduced. In the 1920s the god-fearing views went down as a view of a loving god went up. Today, a lot of people claim to be religious, yet barely practice their religion. They raise their children with very little religious teachings. Here is a link, in case anyone wants sources. http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/09/11/...n-decline/

Quick question thought, when they say 15% are non-religious, does that include deism? It's not an organized religion, but is it still a religion? And happy Saint Patrick's day.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2010, 01:45 PM
RE: When/Will religion die out?
Happy Saint Patrick's Day to you, too! Top o' the mornin' from one American who's proud of his Irish heritage.

No, I don't think religion will die out. It may become a minority, but I have no idea when.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2010, 02:07 PM

If you believe what the author of this article says, then 'no', religion won't die out anytime soon:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest...de-tablet/

However, I have a personal opinion...

I had heard Christopher Hitchens state in a video recently (I'll post the link once I remember WHICH video it was) that non-believers in the U.S. will double in the next 10 years (will reach approx. 32% by 2020). How realistic is this?

Well, a couple of factors would logically play into this becoming a reality:

1. Fundamentalists (from ANY religion) - although secularist humans have quite the fight on their hands on various fronts (government, education, etc.), I think more and more people are becoming less and less tolerant of the irrational views of fundamentalists. Whether it is the evangelicals trying to get creationism into the classroom, or telling homosexuals that they don't have the same rights as heterosexuals, or Islamists reacting negatively to anything said about their religion, all of this, I believe, works in FAVOR to non-belief. People start to question the motives behind all these actions.

2. The Internet - YouTube user Thunderf00t posted a video recently, called "The Internet: Where religions come to die". Video link. The more people educate themselves about religion (its origins, its 'truths', its myths), the more likely they will begin to question its validity. This, consequently, would lead to one of two outcomes: either dumping their religious belief and becoming atheists, or changing to another religion which 'makes more sense' (hopefully not the latter of the two).

3. Education - While I cannot speak on an expert level, I think education has a lot to do with how religious a person is. Richard Dawkins had offered up the idea at his TED presentation that someone could fund a study that showed the correlation of education to religious belief. I wonder if anyone did that yet? I do firmly believe that more education leads to a further movement away from religious belief. Why? Well, depending on the area of study, logic and reason would need to be applied towards problem solving. If an individual began to apply that logic and reason to their personal religious belief, it may produce the LACK of belief. Hope that made sense.

That's all I've got for now. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2010, 10:22 PM

Personally i think that eventually all the current religions will die out, just like the older religions (Greek, Roman, Aztec, Mayan f.ex.) are bound to die out. However i think this is bound to more then just educational level. I think that religions only die out if the civilization endorsing said religion (western countries for for Christianity, middle east for islam etc) are either radically changed from within (example, when Romans abandoned their beliefs for christianity), or some more powerful civilization emerges. Anyway, just my thoughts on the issue Smile
19-03-2010, 08:55 AM

I doubt there will be a dramatic shift in any nation that doesn't have a separation of church and state, and consequently, with said separation it would be even more difficult to have a radical change of beliefs among the superstitious, I mean religious.

I seem to be implying there's no hope for a completely irreligious planet, and in a sense I am. Regarding fundamentalists, there most likely will not be a substantial 'conversion' or any kind of 180 degree shift in world view, strictly due to the definition of fundamentalism. Those more lax in their beliefs, who only label themselves as such-and-such kind of theist because they were raised so and would feel uncomfortable going against their family and/or tradition, are also difficult to enlighten to atheism, but I feel that this group will eventually become the majority over fundamentalists as science continues to debunk unfounded beliefs and educate the masses.

Unbelief is no longer as taboo, though it still is for the most part, and definitely not as dangerous to profess than it used to be. The number of non-theists will continue to grow but I believe, sadly, that for many generations henceforth the psychological need for meaning and truth will continue to allow theist leaders to hook those who don't have access to the resources which allow them to search for and create meaning for themselves apart from religion.
20-03-2010, 06:13 PM

Hopefully soon...very soon...it could use some help, however. Revolution is coming. We cannot survive as a species without it. The american empire, the rich and the 'family' will destroy this planet unless there is a revolution.
21-03-2010, 07:07 PM

(20-03-2010 06:13 PM)Jonandrew Wrote:  Hopefully soon...very soon...it could use some help, however. Revolution is coming. We cannot survive as a species without it. The american empire, the rich and the 'family' will destroy this planet unless there is a revolution.
Revolution better hurry up because collapse is just on the horizon.
21-03-2010, 08:40 PM

(17-03-2010 12:57 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Do you think that religion will ever die out, or at least become a laughable minority? If so, when?

I'm thinking in generations, pretty soon. Within two or three generations, religion will be significantly reduced. In the 1920s the god-fearing views went down as a view of a loving god went up. Today, a lot of people claim to be religious, yet barely practice their religion. They raise their children with very little religious teachings. Here is a link, in case anyone wants sources. http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/09/11/...n-decline/

Quick question thought, when they say 15% are non-religious, does that include deism? It's not an organized religion, but is it still a religion? And happy Saint Patrick's day.
I think religion is too valuable a controlling mechanism to simply die out. As long as information can be manipulated and people can be duped, religion will remain a powerful tool for those who want to take advantage of it. Our current system is based on this sort of trickery. Let's face it, if you can convince people of an invisible creator that knows them and loves them, you can sell them anything---crap T.V. and movies, crap junk food, crap products for their houses, crap cars to crap up the environment, crap wars, and all the crap politics that makes this whole crappy lifestyle possible. When there is so much crap on the line, something as useful and powerful as religion ain't just gonna go quietly into the night. Most likely a catastrophic event (like extreme climate change) or societal collapse will have to occur before we can clean the slate. And even with a new start (using scientific method as a model), the probability of the total extinction of superstition is highly unlikely (think about over a billion Muslims, hundreds of thousands of Hindus, and so on in very poor conditions--they're not going away anytime soon). The majority of humans, even with prosperity and opportunity, just aren't that bright. So for now at least, crap is King---and as long as crap sells, so will religion survive.
21-03-2010, 09:27 PM

christianity has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. Since before the 1900's it has known its end is inevitable and has been doing everythig in its power to reclaim its power and control over the masses. Consider as examples "in god we trust" on currency, "under god" in the pledge of allegience. Consider faith and community based grants from the federal government, abortion (which is no more than punishing women), gay rights, VA state executive order repealed protecting LGBT community from employment discrimination, intolerance toward marriage equality, DADT, ENDA, etc ad nausism. christianity (this is NOT about people) NEEDS to end if we are to evolve as a species. PERIOD. There will be a revolution and it could...most likely... be ugly.
21-03-2010, 09:40 PM

Well, you're a little more optimistic than I am but I'm with you all the way.