When/Will religion die out?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
22-03-2010, 05:26 AM

RE: When/Will religion die out?
Does anyone know how Greek/Roman Mythology came to an end?

I know that it may have fizzled out due to Christianity, but HOW did the Roman's convince its people that "Zeus is no longer around but, hey, this new guy Yahweh is even BETTER!"
Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2010, 06:00 AM
I don't think any huge event ended it. The decline of the Roman empire and its associated gods just seemed to happen at the same time as the rise of the Christian church.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2010, 07:55 AM

I was doing some research on my original question and discovered the following statement in the Wikipedia search "Greek Mythology". This statement can be found under Philosophy and myth:

"After the rise of philosophy, history, prose and rationalism in the late 5th century BC, the fate of myth became uncertain, and mythological genealogies gave place to a conception of history which tried to exclude the supernatural (such as the Thucydidean history). While poets and dramatists were reworking the myths, Greek historians and philosophers were beginning to criticize them."

So "philosopy, history, prose, and RATIONALISM" seem to be the bullets that put Greek Mythology to rest. Hmmm...sound familiar? Smile
22-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Encouraging. Smile

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2010, 05:57 PM

(22-03-2010 05:26 AM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  Does anyone know how Greek/Roman Mythology came to an end?

I know that it may have fizzled out due to Christianity, but HOW did the Roman's convince its people that "Zeus is no longer around but, hey, this new guy Yahweh is even BETTER!"

Well mainly through the persecution of polytheism in general, after the conversion of Constantine I to Christianity in 312 CE, using virtually the same methods of suppression which marked early Christians and Jews. But a large part of Christianity's ability to gain acceptance is through the canonization of saints, which allowed traditional animism of seeing gods or spirits in nearly everything, especially things not understood, to easily accept having a saint for those things instead. But the difference was the forced acknowledgment of (and obedience to) the god of the Bible as the one true god; beginning as a form of monolatrism though over time, as popularity spread (by the sword most often, along with bribing uncivilized peoples with technology for professed conversion), the church narrowed and hardened its doctrine to appear more monotheistic.

For a laugh check out the ridiculousness of some of the things saints were patrons for:

Ailments, Illness and Dangers
Occupations and Activities
Places
22-03-2010, 08:22 PM

Funny...

Never in any argument have I had a theist call upon this saint:

Christina the Astonishing -against insanity, mental disorders

Maybe we should try it against a theist and see how well they know their saints! Smile
22-03-2010, 08:25 PM
(22-03-2010 08:22 PM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  Funny...

Never in any argument have I had a theist call upon this saint:

Christina the Astonishing -against insanity, mental disorders

Maybe we should try it against a theist and see how well they know their saints! Smile

Where is Martin? That would be funny.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
29-04-2010, 10:26 PM

No way, Saint Crispin ~ The patron saint of shoemaking, is clearly the superior demi-god, I mean saint; sorry, I just confuse the two so often.

I don't know about you guys, but when I prepare for repairing a damaged shoe, I pray to Saint Crispin; I also offer a sacrifice of fresh goats blood at the nearby alter, as well as burning some sweet smelling incense; and even after months of diligent work, I haven't once injured myself. Truly it is a miracle; thank you Crispin, you are in my heart....NO Lord Yahweh, I would never do anything as sinful as worshiping a false idol! All praise to Lord Yahweh; for he is a just god!
29-04-2010, 10:41 PM

Unfortunate to say, but, I think that as long as there is money and power attached to it, there will always be some type of religion. I just hope that it dwindles down to being the minority.
29-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Hey, you're all wrong. Obviously, the best of the best obscure saints is Saint Isidore, Patron of the Internet. Duh. You are only reading this because he allows you to.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user