When You Fell In Love With Science/Reason/Rationality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2017, 12:27 AM
Heart When You Fell In Love With Science/Reason/Rationality
The moment that I began to fall in love with science was not too long after I began to separate from my faith for moral reasons. I was still at the point where I considered myself to be non-denominational, but I was still going to the church that I grew up in because I was a minor and my parents were still taking me.

One weekend, one of the members of my church organized a camp out up to the Sierra Nevada mountains. He owned a telescope and invited anyone who was interested up to the mountains to star-gaze.

Now I grew up and live in one of the largest cities in California, so light-pollution at night has been a problem for star-gazing as long as I can remember. It's not nearly as bad as places like New York City were you can see one star in the sky, if you're lucky, but to me the night sky had probably two to three hundred stars at the most.

My mother and father decided to go on the camping trip, and I still remember that night. Myself and a bunch of other kids all took turns looking through the man's telescope, looking at the moon, the visible planets, and the larger stars and galaxies. Of course, the trip was a church thing, so when the man was talking about what we were looking at he was framing it as a religious talk. "Look at the amazing universe God made" and so on.

Of course, for me, the entire point of the trip back-fired. I didn't go home the next morning thinking "Wow, the universe God made is amazing", I just thought "Wow, the universe is amazing!"

As soon as I could I was checking out nearly every book that the local library had on the planets and stars that I could get my hands on. And that was the start of my life-long love for science in general and astronomy specifically. That was my first stepping stone into the world of actual science. Not the watered down version that I was taught in private school or the actual science that I was blindly rejecting when I had transferred to public school. I instantly became more engaged. And I'm glad that I was. After that, I was able to open my mind up to an old Earth, evolution, and the other fields of science that I'd been closed off from.

And it amuses me that an attempt at indoctrination actually led me closer to science and my eventual atheism. Laugh out load

-
"Who is the clergy?"
"A bunch of mindless idiots who were the first against the wall when the revolution came."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like LightSage's post
06-10-2017, 01:08 AM
RE: When You Fell In Love With Science/Reason/Rationality
Oh wow, I love that so much! I love the stars and the view so much. Funny you mention the less than spectacular view from NYC, I am going to NYC in 1.5 months and I was just chatting with a friend tonight how we'll enjoy a roof top patio for the view of lights twinkling (cityscape), but you make me realize that my view out my window in northern Canada has the best twinkling view.

My first science appreciation was probably with my brother growing up. He is 1 year younger than me and we'd geek out about all things science after school while watching Star Trek (usually NG). Ah space... bringing reality closer to home Heart

You have a beautiful story LightSage.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
06-10-2017, 03:01 AM
Amazing stuff!

I've always been an Atheist, so for me Science/reason/rationality have kinda been the only mindset I've ever had. I will say that I'm a huge space geek, and love space programs on TV and star gazing when I can get the chance. If you've never seen it, I highly suggest Cosmos with Neil deGrasse Tyson and Wonders of The Solar System with Professor Brian Cox, both very cool series.

The universe, for me at least, puts a lot of things into perspective about human beings and the issues we have. About how it's basically not important, because it's a litteral "nothing" when compared to the scale of the universe. I've also been considering starting a course on the Planetary Sciences, (which would lead to me have a degree in physics at some stage) although I'm not entirely sure I'm smart enough for it haha.

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
06-10-2017, 03:24 AM
I didn't. It fell in love with me and now I find it to be a clingy, needy bitch.

There is but one truly serious philosophical problem. - Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-10-2017, 03:30 AM
As a kid I was always a science geek. I grew up when the Apollo moon flights were headline news and as a 10 year old I watched Neil Armstrong take those first steps on the lunar surface. I was enthralled.

But I was still taken to church every Sunday by my parents and didn't see any contradiction with the events that I was seeing on TV and the stories being told in church.

As I became a teenager my love of science grew but of course when you study it at school some of the attraction began to dim because of the tedium of being sat in a classroom with a teacher who was poor at communicating and teaching. One of those was a physics teacher - for some reason all the kids nicknamed him "Zeppy" - and if anyone could make the most interesting subject boring it was Zeppy. My grades suffered accordingly.

Then I picked up a book one day. I was by Isaac Asimov and I was a fan of his science fiction stories.................but this was non-fiction, it was the first volume of his "Guide to Science". It covered physics and it was an eye-opener. It explained scientific concepts in a historical way, going as far back as possible to a time when the science in question was at its simplest stage. It also revealed the consistent battles that science had with superstition and religious opposition.

That book and the others in the series not only helped me academically and made me realise how wonderful science was but they were formative in my rejection of religion.

Thanks Isaac.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
06-10-2017, 03:38 AM
I always thought I was too stupid for science.

Sadly, I was correct. Sad

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
06-10-2017, 05:04 AM
(06-10-2017 03:38 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I always thought I was too stupid for science.

Sadly, I was correct. Sad

Luckily you knew your limitations. Many people dont. Thumbsup Big Grin
You are very good with history thouhg. Its maybe not so much a matter of intellect but talent. Big Grin

P..S.: I am a complete idiot when it comes to art and music and creativity and shit.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
06-10-2017, 05:24 AM
Science- in high school, I had the best Biology teacher ever.

Reason/Rationality- When I left religion behind and started educating myself on where my beliefs actually came from. And after I read the Bible in its entirety.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-10-2017, 05:28 AM
(06-10-2017 05:04 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Its maybe not so much a matter of intellect but talent. Big Grin

I've tried that line.

Doesn't work. Sad

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
06-10-2017, 05:49 AM
(06-10-2017 12:27 AM)LightSage Wrote:  And it amuses me that an attempt at indoctrination actually led me closer to science and my eventual atheism. Laugh out load

That's like how the impulse to understand God's world better led to science in the first place. And how my own studies trying to justify God by studying science led me to abandon my God concept in favor of science. If you actually study the facts, they lead you away from religious teachings.