When You Fell In Love With Science/Reason/Rationality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2017, 08:20 AM
RE: When You Fell In Love With Science/Reason/Rationality
I have always loved science. I remember when my father gave me a the seventh edition of Van Nostrand's Scientific Encyclopedia hardcover. I was like 7 or 8. It was 2000+ pages printed on bible thin paper. I read it all the time. I still have it.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
06-10-2017, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2017 09:48 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
When I learned that we're made mostly of the same elements that were formed in stars billions of years ago. Consciousness being formed as a result of that is pretty mind blowing. Also the famous image of the Hubble deep field had a huge impact on me.

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
06-10-2017, 01:36 PM
Science/Reason/Rationality always wins, eventually. I like winners.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
06-10-2017, 05:48 PM
(06-10-2017 03:01 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  If you've never seen it, I highly suggest Cosmos with Neil deGrasse Tyson and Wonders of The Solar System with Professor Brian Cox, both very cool series.

I own Cosmos with Neil deGrasse Tyson on BluRay, and I watch it all the way through every couple of months. It's just so amazing. I'm not ashamed to admit that the final moments of the final episode can bring tears to my eyes. Happy tears, but still tears.

I haven't heard of Wonders of the Solar System, but I'll be sure to check it out! Thanks for the recommendation!

-
"Who is the clergy?"
"A bunch of mindless idiots who were the first against the wall when the revolution came."
[+] 3 users Like LightSage's post
06-10-2017, 06:11 PM
Huge harvest moon here in NC tonight. Beautiful hammock weather!

And by the way, I'm planning on leaving my body to science. Maybe it can do somebody some good after I'm gone.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 2 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
06-10-2017, 08:33 PM
When You Fell In Love With Science/Reason/Rationality
Can't really remember a time when I didn't. I remember hearing stories about the moon and stars, and then reading them on my own. Even at age 5 I wanted to be an astronaut. The idea of being in microgravity and going on EVAs and all that. From there it was inevitable.

Thankfully, despite my Catholic childhood, my family never had any anti-science sentiments.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
08-10-2017, 02:34 AM
Folks,

Late twenties, realised that the world may or may not be as it seems. Two philosophy degrees later I'm thinking much the same. My takeaway from the study is that stories are interesting but thinking critically for ourselves is the bottom line. For some this still means buying a story and good luck with with that.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
08-10-2017, 06:35 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2017 06:41 AM by Loom.)
I remember that moment. Freshman year in highschool, I had an epic Biology teacher. At the time I was already a little skeptical, because what with all the moving we'd done up to that point I wasn't sure what I was supposed to believe because it changed with each move.

This was my first real introduction to cells. It was incredible knowing we were made from a gazillion tiny bits working together. I loved watching the organisms that I never knew lived in the incredible world that was the pond next to our house. I would bring in samples every day so I could see what was in them, and my Biology teacher was awesome enough to let me do that during lessons.

I also came to understand what evolution is, and it made sense and seemed to be fairly backed with evidence. I did a lot of self-teaching at this time.

It was a clear shot to reason from there.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
09-10-2017, 03:48 PM
Started really early for me. In kindergarten we were told to draw a picture of what we wanted to be when we grew up. I drew a picture of a guy in a white coat pouring colored liquid into various odd shaped containers, while more colored liquid bubbled in containers on the table.

It was a long time ago, but I don't think that I was thinking "bartender", at the time. Yes

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
10-10-2017, 02:40 AM
(06-10-2017 05:48 PM)LightSage Wrote:  I haven't heard of Wonders of the Solar System, but I'll be sure to check it out! Thanks for the recommendation!
That one is a BBC series, by a British professor, and is the first series in a few different ones (he later did Wonders of the Universe as well, plus some others) and is pretty cool, especially with the focus just on our little section of the cosmos haha. Not entirely sure, but it might be on netflix Smile

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user