When You Fell In Love With Science/Reason/Rationality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2017, 01:16 PM
RE: When You Fell In Love With Science/Reason/Rationality
(10-10-2017 02:55 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  
(10-10-2017 02:34 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Yonadav, do you believe in a literal god that exists 'out there' in the world apart from yourself? I've met a couple of very bright believers online who had no trouble separating the empirical from the religious. Unfortunately most believers seem to believe rote things in rote ways from rote sources such as the bible or koran. Do you utilize such a book and if so do you look to it for your marching orders or only for inspiration?

I am not sure how to answer your question Dr H. I'm an Orthodox Jew, so there are codes of Jewish law that I regularly 'take my marching orders' from. I routinely ask my Rabbi for instructions about Jewish law that I am not certain of. Ritual is a part of my daily life, so I do a lot of things that might seem 'rote'.

That would be whateverist's question, not mine. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2017, 02:16 PM
I fell in love with science when I helped my professor in college with a psychology study.

My only thought then was holy shit this is cool.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

12-10-2017, 07:28 PM
One of my few good memories of my father growing up, is how we used to watch National Geographic documentaries together on Sunday nights on PBS. Watching stuff on astronomy, oceanography, and a multitude of other fields of study.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
12-10-2017, 07:59 PM
My junior year in high school. It was a combination of a geometry class and discovering the books of Carl Sagan and James Randi.
14-10-2017, 02:50 PM
(10-10-2017 07:22 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  I have always loved science, reason, and rationality. I am religious.

I'm sorry mate, but that's a major oxymoron right there. Religion absolutely denies rationality—it has to in order to survive an a scientifically-enlightened 21st-century. Rationality and religion are diametrically opposed.

Quote:I have become completely comfortable with understanding religion through the lens of religion, and science through the lens of science.

One cannot "understand" religion through the "lens" of science. Science is the very thing that denies and contravenes the notions of religion—which is a belief in supernatural entities and paranormal phenomena.

Quote:Religiously, I will accept that the year is 5778 and this is the age of the world. Scientifically, I will accept that the universe is something like 14 billion years old, that the earth formed over 4 billion years ago, and that man evolved over the course of millions of years.

Again, this doesn't make any logical sense. How can our planet be of two different ages at the same time? (Assuming that we both agree to use the Gregorian calendar.)

Quote:I don't use science to understand religion, and I don't use religion to understand science.

Nobody on this planet can use science to "understand" religion, so you're not alone! At any rate, it's an impossible ask. And religious beliefs have no place at all in science—they're nothing more than wishful thinking or fantasizing.

Quote:When things in the physical realm seem to contradict my understanding of the Divine, I simply think that it is that much more marvelous-- and miraculous.

Firstly, things in the physical realm don't "seem" to contradict the so-called "divine" [addressed, appropriated, or devoted to God or a god; religious; sacred; characteristic of or befitting a deity ].
In the real world, they actually do contradict the divine—unequivocally.

Lastly, I'd like to ask you (or any other theists here) what sorts of answers does religion provide for the issue of catastrophic global climate change? Can, for example, the Abrahamic bible provide any guidance as to how we could solve the issue? Would your average theist claim that their religious beliefs—in their simplest form—could provide a practical solution, without the intervention of pure science? Or must they be forced to admit that religion and its holy books does not have the answers?

—And please don't tell me that prayer will work with global warming; it hasn't worked with anything else over thousands of years. Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
14-10-2017, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't confuse passion with love.

I think it is extremely important to defend scientific fact tooth and nail, but even between scientists, if it were not for disagreement, there would be no progress.

Even with scientific history objectivity is paramount even when where you think it might go does not actually go where you desire.

I value, I don't "love" science. I value it because it works. I would not be typing this if scientific method did not work.

I have a sense of awe about nature and the universe too, but it was also the competition between scientists that improved our knowledge, so I wouldn't call it "love" as much as I would call it a deep appreciation for the process, including anything that leads a consensus to a conclusion that the scientist proposing didn't expect.

In layperson's terms, I would go with the value of quantum physics 50 million times on Sunday and Saturday and Friday. But, when one scientist debunks another, it should be looked as a learning process and not an ego bruise.

So I wouldn't call it "love" as much as I would call it a deep value.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
15-10-2017, 07:38 PM
If a person really loves science, is it also OK to love reason?

Science (as currently constituted) can't explain reason, and some people who hold to a materialist scientific view claim that reason must be an illusion.

We all know that physical events in nature don't have a meaning. If the apple falls from the tree, someone may ascribe a meaning to it: a demonstration of gravity, or sign of changing seasons. But the apple and the fall itself just happen. In themselves they have no further significance.

Likewise chemical changes. If you mix two chemicals and they foam or change color, they do that because of physical properties, not because they are crying out or telling us something. Electrical/chemical changes, too -- you can make a potato battery, but that isn't a meaning or a message.

And we all know that the brain is basically meat with a lot of electro-chemical events going on. We've established that such events don't have meaning, and if people see meaning in the event, it's only because we have added the meaning. This prompts a dilemma: if the attribution of meaning is a mental event, due to an electro-chemical process, the attribution of meaning to the thought is also just an illusion. There seems to be no point at which a science of methodological naturalism can explain the "jump" from physical event to meaningful sign.

Obviously we don't want to posit some kind of non-material something in the brain. If we want to be self-consistent with a materialist view of thought, we may have to give up on thinking that reason is justified.

This has led at least one atheist to conclude that reason is an illusion, and loving reason would be loving an illusion. His book has been praised by Lawrence Krauss, among others.

The Atheist's Guide to Reality: Enjoying Life without Illusions
by Alex Rosenberg
[+] 1 user Likes Belaqua's post
16-10-2017, 04:25 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2017 05:51 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(15-10-2017 07:38 PM)Belaqua Wrote:  We all know that physical events in nature don't have a meaning.

I'm an atheist who does not agree with your statement that "physical events in nature don't have a meaning." You make no discrimination between absolute meanings, which are likely impossible, and relative meanings, which are everywhere for conscious beings.

Consciousness creates meanings, certainly. So? They are still rooted in material realities.

Your post describes materialistic reductionism, which is deterministic. There's also the alternative of materialistic emergentism, which maintains that complexity is more than the sum of its parts because it has new properties, like reason based on symbolic processing.
16-10-2017, 08:10 AM
I have always loved science, ever since my early school days.

I never thought much about it growing up in England, we tended to have lots of access to good science in schools, universities and even in our media.

It was only when I moved to Canada and the the USA and met creationism that I understood how dangerous these batshit insane perversions of science are.

I find it sad really.
[+] 3 users Like JackRussell's post
16-10-2017, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2017 02:57 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(14-10-2017 02:50 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Lastly, I'd like to ask you (or any other theists here) what sorts of answers does religion provide for the issue of catastrophic global climate change? Can, for example, the Abrahamic bible provide any guidance as to how we could solve the issue? Would your average theist claim that their religious beliefs—in their simplest form—could provide a practical solution, without the intervention of pure science? Or must they be forced to admit that religion and its holy books does not have the answers?

—And please don't tell me that prayer will work with global warming; it hasn't worked with anything else over thousands of years. Dodgy

You are presenting me with a false dilemma.
Admin note: I think I fixed this.