When You Fell In Love With Science/Reason/Rationality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2017, 07:36 PM
RE: When You Fell In Love With Science/Reason/Rationality
I fell in love with the fact I cold say 'bullshit' to some people in science that i didn't believe and didn't have to go to bed fear that the God of Science would send his wrath to me. That was awesome.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ruby Crystal's post
09-11-2017, 12:44 AM
Star Trek The Next Generation.

I loved that show growing up. I wanted it to be real. I wanted to serve on a starship. It showed me how huge space actually was and I wanted more. I immersed myself in Carl Sagan books. Astronomy became my passion. I begged for a telescope for my birthday. Religion no longer made sense to me.

Death is a debt we all must pay...
[+] 1 user Likes Grim's post
10-11-2017, 12:23 PM
I can't remember exactly when I fell in love with science, but I was very young -- possibly even before I went to school. My dad was a for-real rocket scientist, an electronics engineer with QA work in TV and radio stations, microwave towers and communications satellites. Our house was full of interesting things, such as a reel-to-reel tape recorder, a volt-ohmmeter, and lots of electronics parts.

We were all very interested in outer space as well, watching all the space launches through the 1960s, and regularly popped outside on starry nights to look at constellations.

And we had the best family field trips, in and around Montreal -- Botanical Gardens, Dow Planetarium, Granby Zoo. I started collecting mineral samples from the gift store at the Planetarium, and continue to like pretty rocks to this day.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
28-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Probably when I read the Dune saga in college. Even though it's highly based on religion, I loved the idea of humans populating the universe 10,000 years in the future. Folding space, giant alien worms, spaceships, Las guns, terraforming desert planets, etc. I mean, that should be a grand goal of humankind, because at this rate Earth is gonna be an uninhabitable fireball in a few decades. I was also a huge Bill Nye the Science Guy viewer in those years (still am).
[+] 1 user Likes RyanTimmy's post