When did America last win a war?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2016, 11:07 AM
RE: When did America last win a war?
When was the last time America fought a war that actually ended?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
22-02-2016, 06:44 PM
General Daniel Bolger wrote a book entitled, "Why We Lost," about the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars. It is quite good and certainly by the standards taught at the War College and the Command and General Staff schools, we did lose those wars.

Whenever a country enters a war, it has already lost it. That's not liberal hippie philosophical bullshit either. No country can afford the financial cost of even a limited conflict. You might as well take a few billion dollars and burn it. The cost in human lives is another big loss. [Another great book is, "War is a Racket," by General Smedley Butler. You'll notice I picked books by an Army General, Bolger, and a Marine Corps General, Butler, so that nobody can say I cite pansy assed liberals as my sources.]

The USA loves to burn money and lives by entering stupid assed wars. There were no WMDs in Iraq and we didn't stop terrorism by killing Taliban in Afghanistan. But, I think I'll vote for a Republican this fall so we can get into some more dumb fucking wars. Nah, I'm not going to vote. I don't care enough about this goddamned country anymore to exercise my franchise. Besides, election day falls in the middle of elk season.
22-02-2016, 06:52 PM
(22-02-2016 11:07 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  When was the last time America fought a war that actually ended?

Panama?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
22-02-2016, 08:24 PM
The War on Sanity

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
22-02-2016, 08:37 PM
(22-02-2016 10:39 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The Cold War.

Figures. The one war that wasn't a "war."

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
22-02-2016, 08:46 PM
(22-02-2016 05:57 AM)Banjo Wrote:  As far as I am aware it was the Pacific against Japan.

The first Iraq war was incomplete. The second a disaster. Afghanistan the same. Korea a stalemate. Vietnam a loss.

Seriously, when have they won? Commonwealth forces were also involved in the war against Japan. So why this unreal confidence?

Depends on how you define war, Korea and Vietnam weren't wars (as no formal declaration of war made congress in those matters). but considered at the time to be police actions.

First Iraq thing, I wouldn't call it really a war. We set out to what to do the very miniinum we said we'd do -- which we did and got the fuck out. But still I do believe congress did declare war...for that purpose.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

23-02-2016, 04:25 AM
We kicked ass in Operation Urgent Fury.......

Grenada, remember??? 1983......

At one time, that little spat got me an invite to join the American Legion--- when they were hurting for new membership.....

Otherwise, I'd have probably forgot about it too................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-02-2016, 04:32 AM
(22-02-2016 08:37 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  

Should have been called "the cold something else" then. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-02-2016, 04:38 PM
You can only really win or lose a war when you have a clear physical enemy who clearly is your enemy. You can't win a war against an ideology in the short term. We've tried war against communism, drugs, christmas, terrorism, and so on. Those are the wars that are virtually unwinnable. You may as well say you are taking bets in your boxing match against your shadow.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
24-02-2016, 06:50 PM
(22-02-2016 08:37 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  

"The wise general wins the battle without fighting." -- Sun Tzu