When did you first publicly announce you were an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2012, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2012 02:30 PM by TheArcticSage.)
When did you first publicly announce you were an atheist?
It was just an average day in my highschool class, I was talking to one of my classmates when one of them asked me what I believed in, I told them I was an atheist. I had no problems saying I was an atheist because I thought it was common knowledge that there was no god. However that was not the reaction I got, they all looked at me weird, and I was confused, how could they still be on that level?

I was reminded of this by a very recent event when I assumed something was common knowledge... it appears knowledge is not common at all.

[Image: 423-sad-computer.jpg]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2012, 03:04 PM
RE: When did you first publicly announce you were an atheist?
Why shouldn't they give you a wierd look?

After all:

[Image: atheism-eating-babies.jpg]
18-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Your arrogance is inspiring. You make the presumption that all of your knowledge is correct.

(ignore me, i'm just trollong again)

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
18-03-2012, 04:42 PM
There is no such thing as common knowledge. Or common sense.

Common sense is a lack of sense, so I would assume common knowledge is a lack of knowledge.

I haven't publicly outed myself so to speak. I posted on facebook, and my religious status is a thrill to read. I've argued with pro lifers and creationists in public places before. I openly mock religion when not at home. But I'm not a pedophile or anything so I don't necessarily see the need to make everyone alert of my living nearby.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
18-03-2012, 04:49 PM
I didn't announce it, it just came across in my debates and people sort of guessed. I still said I was Catholic because I was in that stage of not wanting to admit I don't believe in god. I guess people don't need to know, if they ask I might say. What's the benefit if just announcing you're an atheist out of the blue? I'm sure religious beliefs in school don't really matter.

in my case anyway.

Unitil some people started looking down on me as an irrational close minded feeble guy who doesn't think straight when it comes to religion. The sad thing is that they just don't listen to anything that isn't their opinion

*sigh*

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
18-03-2012, 04:57 PM
(18-03-2012 04:49 PM)ALovelyChickenMan Wrote:  I didn't announce it, it just came across in my debates and people sort of guessed. I still said I was Catholic because I was in that stage of not wanting to admit I don't believe in god. I guess people don't need to know, if they ask I might say. What's the benefit if just announcing you're an atheist out of the blue? I'm sure religious beliefs in school don't really matter.

in my case anyway.

Unitil some people started looking down on me as an irrational close minded feeble guy who doesn't think straight when it comes to religion. The sad thing is that they just don't listen to anything that isn't their opinion

*sigh*

I know that feeling, about people not listening to anything... you'll find all sorts of goodies if you are willing to listen and think critically Smile
18-03-2012, 05:26 PM
I just drifted away from religion, studied a lot to make sure that my doubts were well-grounded. There are those that know outright and others that probably just think I don't talk about religion. I am most outspoken when the faithful show up at the door.

My recent posts on FB sure weeded out "friends" though. Some I had known for decades. No debate, no attempts at conversion. A couple mentions of prayers on my behalf and candles being lit for me. I didn't lose anyone that really has a big impact on my life.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
18-03-2012, 05:36 PM
(18-03-2012 05:26 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I just drifted away from religion, studied a lot to make sure that my doubts were well-grounded. There are those that know outright and others that probably just think I don't talk about religion. I am most outspoken when the faithful show up at the door.

My recent posts on FB sure weeded out "friends" though. Some I had known for decades. No debate, no attempts at conversion. A couple mentions of prayers on my behalf and candles being lit for me. I didn't lose anyone that really has a big impact on my life.

anyone who will not associate with someone just because of their beliefs isn't a friend anyways. They were just associates, associating... big difference between friends and associates, friends are people you'll actually do something for, associates are just there to talk to you.
18-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Publicly?!?!?

Erm...

Well....

[deep breath]...

I've got something I want to tell everyone...

Um...

I AM AN A...

walrus, goo goo g'joob.

18-03-2012, 06:29 PM
you're an awalrus?

Each time I've said it has been like a first the wide and varied reactions =p It's definitely a first to the people who hear it. I often have to discuss it when speaking in classes. I also mention it to people I talk to a lo because it's pretty important to me. I don't like associating with people who would want me to fit in a box.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post