When did you first publicly announce you were an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2012, 11:06 PM
RE: When did you first publicly announce you were an atheist?
It's hard to say. It hasn't been long that I've been an atheist; I'm 16 now, and thought I've obviously been skeptic since at least 10, which I openly acknowledged. While most of the people I've known so far thought evolution and the big bang theory were silly assumptions, I always tried to fit it in to my beliefs. About November of last year, I started the process of reverting by noticing that my beliefs may actually be closer to atheism than theism.

I've never paid much attention to religion, so I didn't really look into it, though I definitely acknowledged that my doubt had reached a point that might be harmful to an average religious person's opinion of me. It wasn't until January that I was talking to a friend while browsing Wikipedia, and I skimmed over the article on agnosticism. I immediately declared that it was a description that fit me. As recent time passed, those beliefs started to vanish even farther, until in mid-February I recognized myself as an atheist.

Over this time, I've openly reported my current religious beliefs when it came up. I don't know many people well, so it's not often. But despite living in rural Nebraska, (believe me, not an atheist's ideal home) I have no reservations in telling the truth. I love science, and in fact aspire to be a physicist, so I've come upon the ideals that the truth should be reported, no matter the circumstances.

In short, I've never truly declared my atheism, because I see no reason to. That, and I haven't held the beliefs, or rather, lack of beliefs, for very long. But I will declare it in conversation, and I have written a few reports on atheism for school assignments.

A long story indeed, but it's hard to fit into just a few sentences. These have clearly been turbulent times in my life, and they're still occurring. I still feel very strongly about this. I hope you'll excuse my over-inclusive report. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2012, 01:08 PM
(19-03-2012 05:26 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  One of the reasons I don't drink alcohol or do any mind altering drugs, secrets slip out. still though at least you got it off your chest. Tongue

I try to live my life with as few secrets as I can. But that's not possible for everyone. And everyone has some secrets regardless.

But yeah, a drink or too really loosens the tongue. Confused
20-03-2012, 01:11 PM

(19-03-2012 05:26 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  
(19-03-2012 02:21 PM)Denicio Wrote:  Slowly to certain people over a period of 5-10 years. Publically, it was New Years Eve 2010 and there was much vodka to blame as i was surrounded by neighbors that are all religious and assumed i was too.
Having been the President of the HOA for our neighborhood one of my tea party pals who's quite sane and a ton of fun to hang with told me i should run for public office.............
I told him that i could not do it for some personal reasons. He pushed back asking why..i told him its something that most folks would not find appealing...he then said "Now i need to know, what are you a rapist or child molester?" SO there i was faced with NOT answering again and becoming the neighborhood rapist..or coming out. So i proclaimed i was an Atheist and it quickly grew silent. My wife's jaw hit the ground. She's sort of a Christian, kind of a social christian..if you will. And it bothers her that she's married to a guy that don't believe in god. Well, she was put off and the others were like deer in headlights. There i was, like big foot and the Yeti...something they'd heard of but never seen. THEN for the next hour it was "Ask the Atheist".

My neighbors still love me but know i know to much about the bible to debate it. That was the night that i had a catholic neighbor get mad at me for stating Jesus said "I did not come to bring peace, but a sword". He insisted i was making it up.

The wife and i squabble over it from time to time but i no longer keep it on the down low. I dont wear it like a badge, like ALL the christians do around these parts...but when asked, i answer immediately hoping for a rebuttal.

One of the reasons I don't drink alcohol or do any mind altering drugs, secrets slip out. still though at least you got it off your chest. Tongue

Well, its not like it was a secret. It was something i dont wear around like a Tshirt that says "To hell with the Devil" or some other form of Pro Christian wear. I was asked and i answered. But i was FEELING the Vodka no doubt. I would have said it sobor too.
Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2012, 05:25 PM
(18-03-2012 09:16 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  When it comes to religious opinions relating to god I am atheistic; as for god as a sort of philosophical speculation, my version, I am probably best described as agnostic, though I don't really like any isms.

Some of the asms are pretty good though. Big Grin

(19-03-2012 05:26 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  One of the reasons I don't drink alcohol or do any mind altering drugs, secrets slip out.

On the flip side, you might be missing out on some pretty trippy secrets. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
21-03-2012, 06:10 PM
I was never "public" about it because it is not really a secret. My dad knows I am not religious and for now he hates the idea because right now he is all enamored with Lutheranism because his wife is a Lutheran.

Anyways..I don't parade the concept around that I am non-religious (I am not agnostic either)..it's just a given I suppose, especially since I don't accompany my father and his wife to church so most in the community probably have already figured out that I ma not "one of them" and I doubt many really are concerned.

By the way ArcticSage..the video you posted was very beautiful. Thanks

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
21-03-2012, 07:36 PM
I haven't anouncced; doubt anyone would care, that I know any way. And it has only been a little over 8 weeks since I realized the word Atheist had any relationship to me or my life. I am still in 'discovery' mode.

Ann
[+] 1 user Likes shadostr13's post
22-03-2012, 01:11 PM
I feel lucky for the fact that I've never felt the need to announce it. Sure, if I'm asked the question or it comes up in a chat, I'll freely say I'm an atheist.

While I can't specifically remember if I've ever told my family members, they surely have to know by my actions and occasional comments (never going to church, never participating in religious holidays, a few off comments while they watch Fox News).

"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace." -- Carlos Santana
22-03-2012, 01:30 PM

(21-03-2012 07:36 PM)shadostr13 Wrote:  I haven't anouncced; doubt anyone would care, that I know any way. And it has only been a little over 8 weeks since I realized the word Atheist had any relationship to me or my life. I am still in 'discovery' mode.

Ann

I've been vocal about it for about 3 years now and knew personally for about 8-10....and I am STILL in discovery mode! :-)
Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2012, 11:15 PM
About two or three years ago, I was on Facebook just going through my families profiles and such. Then I came upon my older sisters profile, and her religious views were "Agnostic" and I was confused. So I asked her about it, and she explained that to her religion is pointless and corrupting. Before this time I thought of everyone that didn't believe in God was a devil worshiper, but knowing my sister (the kindest girl and my favorite person on this planet) was a non-believer, it kind of changed my views a little bit. And me being my curious self, I went on with researching different religions and their claims and etc and found that they were all based out of ignorance, in my opinion. I've changed quite a bit since then, going from an agnostic, to atheist, to secular humanist to all of the above and so on so fourth. But now I see myself as an agnostic, because it's more reasonable and more scientific in my opinion.

"My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight." - Marcus Luttrell