When did you last feel young?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2017, 03:42 PM
When did you last feel young?
Hi,

Apologies to those who can’t remember; I’ve been there.

But – 4 days back I got into the Nexus again, just for a while. A road trip on the Thunderace on my own. Finished up a couple of whisky miniatures in the motel, watched some crap TV and it was still about 11.30. Stuck my boots on and went round to the garage for a last minute bottle of wine. The lady was closing and sweeping up but she slipped a bottle to me through the window.

Walking back over the car park, I saw the bike resting under the trees. The sky was inky black, and the bright evening star, and the advertising lights from Burger King and Little Chef, and me with a bottle in my hand. It hit me.

I was young again! No, this didn’t feel like nostalgia; I was young right now. Unlike Goethe’s Faust I didn’t have to plead “Give me youth”, for I had it. It was still with me in the morning as I wiped the dew off the Ace’s seat and hit the road again. Fading now.

What’s yours?

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Dworkin's post
11-05-2017, 03:52 PM
RE: When did you last feel young?
When I play computer games sometimes. Kind of living out what I missed when I was young in years.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
11-05-2017, 03:56 PM
(11-05-2017 03:42 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  I was young again! No, this didn’t feel like nostalgia; I was young right now. Unlike Goethe’s Faust I didn’t have to plead “Give me youth”, for I had it. It was still with me in the morning as I wiped the dew off the Ace’s seat and hit the road again. Fading now.

What’s yours?

Perhaps surprisingly, it was the day I retired. I left work for good at 11:15 on Friday July 24, 2015. It was a sunny day and I felt free again, just like when I got out of school for summer as a kid.
[+] 9 users Like Thoreauvian's post
11-05-2017, 03:58 PM
I will never feel physically young again -- that ship has sailed.

However, I feel mentally young whenever I get totally absorbed in an intellectual problem -- reading a book, playing a chess game, etc. A few years ago, I made another stab at finishing Apostol's Calculus, Vol. 1 (which I started over 35 years ago). I didn't finish (mainly because I got distracted by something else), but I made it through several chapters and solved a bunch of difficult exercises along the way, having no more difficulty with them (and maybe even less) than I did 35 years ago. "Shit, I can still do this!" That made me feel young.
[+] 7 users Like Grasshopper's post
11-05-2017, 04:06 PM
This morning, watching goslings play in the pond... I could feel the unbridled exuberance.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
11-05-2017, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 04:22 PM by jennybee.)
Yoga keeps me feeling young every day--it makes me feel like a little kid since it annihilates the stress of adult life. It also keeps me in good shape physically. I also think I have an adventurous spirit to begin with, and I love to laugh and have fun. I hope that never changes.
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
11-05-2017, 04:19 PM
(11-05-2017 03:58 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I will never feel physically young again -- that ship has sailed.

However, I feel mentally young whenever I get totally absorbed in an intellectual problem -- reading a book, playing a chess game, etc. A few years ago, I made another stab at finishing Apostol's Calculus, Vol. 1 (which I started over 35 years ago). I didn't finish (mainly because I got distracted by something else), but I made it through several chapters and solved a bunch of difficult exercises along the way, having no more difficulty with them (and maybe even less) than I did 35 years ago. "Shit, I can still do this!" That made me feel young.

Are you kidding? You go on massive bike trips. That's more than many people half your age. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
11-05-2017, 04:29 PM
I will feel young again tomorrow, while I'm still young. Girl_nails Laugh out load Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
11-05-2017, 04:30 PM
Yesterday. We mentor 20-something year old marine science interns and we took them out to hunt for Lionfish. When I hit the water no other thoughts crossed my mind outside the task at hand. The kids sometimes have trouble keeping up with me as I swim from coral head to coral head looking for and pointing the fish out for them to cull. I feel like I'm superman down there, no joint pain, no weight on my herniated discs; just wonderful. Then coming up all giddy about how well we did and enjoying life.

For a brief few hours I forget I'm 57.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
11-05-2017, 04:41 PM
(11-05-2017 04:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(11-05-2017 03:58 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I will never feel physically young again -- that ship has sailed.

Are you kidding? You go on massive bike trips. That's more than many people half your age. Thumbsup

Yabut, those long rides cost me more than they used to. A few weeks ago, I did a 40-mile hilly ride on Saturday morning, and basically slept for the rest of the weekend!

Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post