When do you put the dog down?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2015, 06:03 PM
When do you put the dog down?
So there's a couple dozen beagle rescues in my house and one of them is 18 yo with cancer fucking everywhere. ManlyGirl says, "Her breathing is laboured. And she is in distress. Time to do this." ....

When do you put a dog down?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2015, 06:10 PM
RE: When do you put the dog down?
(09-10-2015 06:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So there's a couple dozen beagle rescues in my house and one of them is 18 yo with cancer fucking everywhere. ManlyGirl says, "Her breathing is laboured. And she is in distress. Time to do this." ....

Now.

When a dog isn't enjoying life any more, when they can't get around like they want to, when they can't eat any more...when you can tell the are in pain...and you have know they are sick with something that can't be cured.

Quality of life...they tell you, if you listen.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
09-10-2015, 06:11 PM
One of my dogs was very sick and my vet had said she was in a lot of pain. The vet suggested we put her down. She ended up passing away at home on her own, but my intent was to have her put down because of her pain level. She could no longer walk and was barely eating. I think if your dog is in a lot of (unmanageable) pain, can't walk, eat, is suffering--then it is time to put a dog down, imo. If your dog has manageable pain and is not suffering and therefore still has quality of life, then I would not put the dog down.

I'm really sorry about your dog Hug
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
09-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Sorry about your dog, brother, but it's time. Hug
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
09-10-2015, 06:23 PM
(09-10-2015 06:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 06:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So there's a couple dozen beagle rescues in my house and one of them is 18 yo with cancer fucking everywhere. ManlyGirl says, "Her breathing is laboured. And she is in distress. Time to do this." ....

Now.

Rosie is down.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-10-2015, 06:25 PM
(09-10-2015 06:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 06:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Now.

Rosie is down.

I'm so sorry Hug
09-10-2015, 06:27 PM
(09-10-2015 06:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 06:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Now.

Rosie is down.

Sorry dude.

I certainly trust Manly's instincts on this. I know it was the right time.

[Image: TvyamNb-BivtNwcoxtkc5xGBuGkIMh_nj4UJHQKu...eF6eje1ybQ]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-10-2015, 06:29 PM
(09-10-2015 06:27 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 06:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Rosie is down.

Sorry dude.

Yup. She's got this. Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-10-2015, 06:31 PM
(09-10-2015 06:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 06:27 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Sorry dude.

Yup. She's got this. Thumbsup

Manly's the alpha of the pack. It's her job to look out for them.

Hugs to her too.

[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
09-10-2015, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 07:09 PM by goodwithoutgod.)

For me, when the dog's quality of life has degenerated to the point where they are in pain, or constant discomfort, then the loving thing to do is give a day filled with hugs and kisses, and have them put to sleep....ease their pain....

Everyone has to define what works for their family and situation, this is just my humble perspective. Putting a pet down is almost as bad as losing a child for me...but to hold on to them out of selfishness when they are in pain seems wrong to me.

When I used to go to the annual National Tay-Sachs and Allied Diseases foundation conference, I would look around at the other parents with their terminally ill children. I have no right to judge, as how a family deals with that horrific situation must be what is right for them. There is no right way to deal with it, just different ways. When I would see the children staring blankly at nothing, with machines under their chairs clicking and whirling, sucking away spit and drool, and pumping nutrition into their tubes....it always bothered me....The parents understandably could not let go....but to whose benefit? For me, to selfishly cling to them keeping them alive way past where nature threw in the towel is just ........unsettling.

As I said, for my wife and I, our dogs are like our children...we had to put one down earlier this year....it was time...she was in pain, couldnt get up and down the steps anymore, we had her on low level painkillers, and tried heat and such to alleviate her pain, but the cancer was taking over....so we took her in, covered her in hugs and kisses...and petted her sweet little head as they put her to sleep.

What is right for you and your family, needs to be you and your family's decision. It is always hard to let go....I wish you peace in your decision, and you are in my thoughts Girlyman

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)