When do you think crowdfunding is unacceptable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2014, 06:22 PM
When do you think crowdfunding is unacceptable?
Apart of course from the obvious things.

It is not common at all in my country (which I think must be because as a people we tend to think it's petty to ask for money even if you're starving) and I find it weird that people go to jail or lose opportunities in life just because they refuse to ask for money.

I find it ridiculous that people I know have financial problems that keep them from progressing or enjoying life while others throw money away. If someone can give me a dollar, I take it. Why the fuck not?

Here, any reason to ask for money is unacceptable. No money to study? Work until you get it.

What do you guys think?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2014, 06:50 PM
RE: When do you think crowdfunding is unacceptable?
For the most part Crowdfunding is always fine by me, as long as the requester is not lying about the usage of funds, or using the funds to harm others.

Oh and it must be in no way coercive, forced, or expected. No accosting should be involved.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
31-01-2014, 06:54 PM
(31-01-2014 06:22 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Apart of course from the obvious things.

It is not common at all in my country (which I think must be because as a people we tend to think it's petty to ask for money even if you're starving) and I find it weird that people go to jail or lose opportunities in life just because they refuse to ask for money.

I find it ridiculous that people I know have financial problems that keep them from progressing or enjoying life while others throw money away. If someone can give me a dollar, I take it. Why the fuck not?

Here, any reason to ask for money is unacceptable. No money to study? Work until you get it.

What do you guys think?
Great subject. While I have been tempted to take part in some kickstarter campaigns I never have. I think if do have a valid reason to ask for money people will donate, and if you don't then you won't get anything. I have no problem with people asking for money.
Obviously this is not how things work in the real world. Good causes are overlooked meanwhile people donate money to celebrities like Dustin Diamond who blew all his money.
31-01-2014, 07:56 PM
(31-01-2014 06:22 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Apart of course from the obvious things.

What do you guys think?

I think Greece is seriously fucked up the economic ass at the moment and your whole country needs to set up a crowdfunding site and get Germany and the rest of the EU to donate. Promise the Krauts your firstborn scientists and engineers or something. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Crowd funding can perform the role the church has assisted with for centuries.
Brings people together , can share a need, contribute resources to fill that need.
There can be a perceived dichotomy of the request into a need vs want though.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
01-02-2014, 04:12 PM
(31-01-2014 07:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think Greece is seriously fucked up the economic ass at the moment and your whole country needs to set up a crowdfunding site and get Germany and the rest of the EU to donate. Promise the Krauts your firstborn scientists and engineers or something. Big Grin

Well, if the Germans gave us back the money they owe us we wouldn't need any crowdfunding Drinking Beverage

(31-01-2014 08:14 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Crowd funding can perform the role the church has assisted with for centuries.
Brings people together , can share a need, contribute resources to fill that need.
There can be a perceived dichotomy of the request into a need vs want though.

What if you live in Greece where 7 out of 10 people need help? Should one dare to ask for help?
If you have a debt to the state and it's someone else's fault, is it ok to ask for help?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
01-02-2014, 04:46 PM
(01-02-2014 04:12 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 07:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think Greece is seriously fucked up the economic ass at the moment and your whole country needs to set up a crowdfunding site and get Germany and the rest of the EU to donate. Promise the Krauts your firstborn scientists and engineers or something. Big Grin

Well, if the Germans gave us back the money they owe us we wouldn't need any crowdfunding Drinking Beverage

They did kinda fuck you in the ass and then sneak out stealing your wallets and watches and art shit on the way out.

(01-02-2014 04:12 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  What if you live in Greece where 7 out of 10 people need help? Should one dare to ask for help?

Yeah, that kinda gums up the works.

(01-02-2014 04:12 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  If you have a debt to the state and it's someone else's fault, is it ok to ask for help?

In the US we got the ACLU who got trigger hairs up their ass looking for cases like that.

(01-02-2014 04:12 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  ... is it ok to ask for help?

It's always okay to ask for help when you need it. It's never okay to ask for help when you don't need it.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post