When does a human become a human? (Abortion)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2017, 09:04 AM
RE: When does a human become a human? (Abortion)
(19-02-2017 01:54 PM)mordant Wrote:  I think it's silly to assign them before that, and dangerous to assign it after.

I don't see the danger in it all. You should have the right to an after birth abortion at least up to the age of one. We should be able to euthanize unwanted 1 month old infant, rather than let it be a drain on state resources, as we do cats and dogs, who are far more sentient than 1 months olds at that point.

The only difference in being able to abort it at 1 month, or a month prior to exiting the womb, is you don't have to look that lump of cells in the eyes.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
20-02-2017, 10:11 AM
(20-02-2017 09:04 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-02-2017 01:54 PM)mordant Wrote:  I think it's silly to assign them before that, and dangerous to assign it after.

I don't see the danger in it all. You should have the right to an after birth abortion at least up to the age of one. We should be able to euthanize unwanted 1 month old infant, rather than let it be a drain on state resources, as we do cats and dogs, who are far more sentient than 1 months olds at that point.

The only difference in being able to abort it at 1 month, or a month prior to exiting the womb, is you don't have to look that lump of cells in the eyes.
Firstly, abortion is defined as the premature termination of a human pregnancy. So killing a 1 month old infant would not be an abortion. Secondly, euthanasia is defined as the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or an irreversible coma. So unless the infant is suffering from an incurable and painful disease or an irreversible coma, that would not be euthanasia either.

But you knew that anyway, didn't you Tom, you just like throwing around inaccurate and emotive words to try to prove a point. Or are you just setting up another 'gotcha', in the hope that someone will agree or disagree with you so you can shout 'MURDERER'?

You're *such* a dick.
[+] 2 users Like ukatheist's post
20-02-2017, 03:21 PM
(20-02-2017 10:11 AM)ukatheist Wrote:  Firstly, abortion is defined as the premature termination of a human pregnancy. So killing a 1 month old infant would not be an abortion.

Yea, it would be called infanticide, or neonaticide if it's within the first 24 hours.

Quote:Secondly, euthanasia is defined as the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or an irreversible coma. So unless the infant is suffering from an incurable and painful disease or an irreversible coma, that would not be euthanasia either.

No, it's also called euthanasia when applied to unwanted dogs, and cats. If we wanted to allow gently killing infants up to a certain age, just because of the strain the place on a society, and parents who don't want them, it'd likely be called euthanasia. We could also say we did it to protect the child from the horrendous life ahead of him, as result of being unwanted, and being funneled through the foster care system.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
20-02-2017, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2017 07:12 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(20-02-2017 09:04 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

You really are a poe.
No educated person would call an 8 month fetus a lump of cells.
If you're serious, you a very dangerous idiot, and even more stupid than anyone thought.

But in fact, it's a very obvious little ploy to get someone to go down that wascally widdlle Tomato's little rabbit hole/trap. Tomato thinks he berry berry clever.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
20-02-2017, 07:22 PM
(20-02-2017 03:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(20-02-2017 09:04 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don't see the danger in it all. You should have the right to an after birth abortion at least up to the age of one. We should be able to euthanize unwanted 1 month old infant, rather than let it be a drain on state resources, as we do cats and dogs, who are far more sentient than 1 months olds at that point.

You really are a poe.
If you're serious, you a very dangerous idiot, and even more stupid than anyone thought.

But in fact, it's a very obvious little ploy to get someone to go down that wascally widdlle Tomato's little rabbit hole/trap. Tomato thinks he berry berry clever.

Why is killing a 10 month old (1 month post birth) human more dangerous than killing an 8 month old (1 month pre birth) human?
20-02-2017, 07:33 PM
(20-02-2017 07:22 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(20-02-2017 03:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You really are a poe.

Why is killing a 10 month old (1 month post birth) human more dangerous than killing an 8 month old (1 month pre birth) human?

The debate is not about aborting an 8-month fetus. That is a ridiculous red herring.

A fetus at month 8 is likely viable and would qualify as a human. A fetus at 8 weeks is not and would not.
20-02-2017, 07:34 PM
(20-02-2017 03:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No educated person would call an 8 month fetus a lump of cells.

So at what month does an educated person draw the line on when a fetus is no longer a lump of cells?

20-02-2017, 07:35 PM
(20-02-2017 07:33 PM)Rik Wrote:  A fetus at month 8 is likely viable and would qualify as a human. A fetus at 8 weeks is not and would not.

When would you say a fetus qualifies as a human 3 months? 4 months?

20-02-2017, 07:38 PM
(20-02-2017 07:34 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-02-2017 03:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No educated person would call an 8 month fetus a lump of cells.

So at what month does an educated person draw the line on when a fetus is no longer a lump of cells?

What's it like down your widdle wabbit hole, you wascally Tomato ?
I know you never had to learn any science at fake-fast-university, but humans have brains and neural tubes. (That's a widdle hint.)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
20-02-2017, 07:40 PM
(20-02-2017 07:35 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-02-2017 07:33 PM)Rik Wrote:  A fetus at month 8 is likely viable and would qualify as a human. A fetus at 8 weeks is not and would not.

When would you say a fetus qualifies as a human 3 months? 4 months?

It's a question of potential vs actual. I know these are difficult topics for you.