Poll: When does life begin?
Before conception
At conception
After a woman can have an abortion
[Show Results]

When does life begin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2014, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 11:05 AM by dimaniac.)
When does life begin?
Sorry for my English
Hello everyone, creationist here. Please answer this question. When does human life begin?
1 Before conception.
2 At conception.
3 After it is legal for a woman to have an abortion.

Btw this question has nothing to do with abortion debate in US. I'm having a discussion at a local forum with an atheist and he says that life begins before conception which sounds strange to me Blink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dimaniac's post
01-10-2014, 10:32 AM
RE: When does life begin?
(01-10-2014 10:08 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  Sorry for my English
Hello everyone, creationist here. Please answer this question. When does life begin?
1 Before conception.
2 At conception.

Btw this question has nothing to do with abortion debate in US. I'm having a discussion at a local forum with an atheist and he says that life begins before conception which sounds strange to me Blink

How can life begin before conception? Huh

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-10-2014, 10:38 AM
I thought Jonathan Katz already settled this question.

"Life begins[...]after the second cup of coffee. " Drinking Beverage

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
01-10-2014, 10:41 AM
(01-10-2014 10:32 AM)Chas Wrote:  ...
How can life begin before conception? Huh

I guess it depends whose life.

(01-10-2014 10:08 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  ...
When does life begin?

'Life' is a construct, a label, we put superstructures of cells.

We (humans) invented the concept so we get to choose when it begins.

I'm hoping mine will start quite soon.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Is this a joke? What is up with these poll options?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
01-10-2014, 10:50 AM
(01-10-2014 10:08 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  Sorry for my English
Hello everyone, creationist here. Please answer this question. When does life begin?
1 Before conception.
2 At conception.

Wrong question. "What is life" should be the question, which will in turn answer when it begins. Tongue

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 5 users Like guitar_nut's post
01-10-2014, 10:51 AM
(01-10-2014 10:08 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  I'm having a discussion at a local forum with an atheist and he says that life begins before conception which sounds strange to me Blink
I think you should clarify with him. My best guess is he is talking about living cells in semen or eggs. If he wants to define "life" like that, then he must feel really bad when he gets lonely at night.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 5 users Like Adrianime's post
01-10-2014, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 10:57 AM by Can_of_Beans.)
(01-10-2014 10:51 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 10:08 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  I'm having a discussion at a local forum with an atheist and he says that life begins before conception which sounds strange to me Blink
I think you should clarify with him. My best guess is he is talking about living cells in semen or eggs. If he wants to define "life" like that, then he must feel really bad when he gets lonely at night.

"It's as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 11 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
01-10-2014, 11:01 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 11:05 AM by Nurse.)
(01-10-2014 10:51 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  

That's kinda what I was thinking, too.

Yes, sperm and eggs can be considered alive. Just like salmonella is alive on your kitchen counter and you kill it with bleach.

OP, don't confuse the term life with sentience. You need to define the parameters of what you mean by life or this discussion of yours on your local forum is going to have a whole lot of goal post moving shenanigans.

Edited for clarification

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
01-10-2014, 11:04 AM
(01-10-2014 10:47 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Is this a joke? What is up with these poll options?
Again sorry for my english. I don't know how to write it better. Maybe mods can fix poll?