[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
02-10-2014, 02:56 PM
RE: When does life begin?
I think the problem with the abortion debate it is that we are attempting to define a qualitative measure (being) with an objective measure (gestation period). How we feel about the unborn child/fetus/whatever is much more important than what it is. You can make good arguments for life beginning at any period, but in the end you are talking about a moral and ethical position. It will depend on who you ask and how they feel about it.

To be clear I am not trying to argue that all positions are equally sound or logically justified as any other. You can make better or worse arguments for different positions. The important thing to remember is that we are actually having a morally principled argument. You don't get right answers, although you can good good answers and "better" answers, if that makes sense.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
03-10-2014, 04:57 AM
Life begins developing at conception, but the thing is not "alive" in any way that is socially relevant until much, much later.

As I explained to someone else recently:

"...you see, the life must be "living" in a manner that is socially relevant.

A vine, for instance, is alive. It metabolizes nutrients, it moves its way across surfaces to seek the best source of light, it thrives on water, etc. And yet, we chop down vines with no problem. Why? Because while they are alive, they are not alive in any way that is socially relevant. They don't think. They don't reason. They don't hope; they don't dream. They are alive, but their life is of no importance to us from an ethical perspective.

In the same way, an embryo or a fetus is alive. But it doesn't think. It doesn't reason. It doesn't hope. It doesn't dream. Not until very late in the pregnancy. Thus, while it is alive, it is not alive in any way that is socially relevant."

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
03-10-2014, 06:09 AM
(01-10-2014 05:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 05:26 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Human life began somewhere between 2.3 million years ago and 50000 years ago, depending on what you are prepared to call human. Since then there has been a continuous chain of life from generation to generation with no points along the way where a living being arose from dead matter or from non-human matter.
Except for the tiny detail that we are all composed of non-living matter. Consider
Well, specifically there has been a continuous chain of cell division and conception with no points along the way where the cells doing the dividing or conception were dead or non-human.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
03-10-2014, 11:36 AM
While the available answers suck, what is the intent of the poll?

I wouldn't choose any of them. As others have said with far more knowledge in biology than I have, the sperm and the egg are examples of single cell life. One way of looking at the question may be at what point can the entity survive on its own without constant care by its mother/host. While we care for our birthed young they can happily live without us for several hours. A fertilized egg cannot do so for a sizable portion of time within the womb. Does that mean it isn't life? I don't think so but it isn't independent life. Sentience is another different question I sure as hell am not qualified to answer.

Anyway, if the OP is being honest with their poll creation, I suggest a thread discussing the topic not a 3 answer poll for an extremely complicated question.

If they are just looking to screw around with no intent for honest discourse (e.g. blowme), then I suggest some quality time for their genitals and a chainsaw.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 2 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
03-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Before conception???
WTAF does that even mean?

Fcuk

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
03-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Your friend is right. The sperm is alive before it meets the egg, or else it could not swim. The egg is alive because if it were not, the sperm could not fertilize the egg.

Having said that it is none of your business what that girl/woman does. It is her body not yours, and you are not going to raise that kid.

It is that simple.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
03-10-2014, 12:23 PM
For me it was when I moved out of the house and went to college.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post
04-10-2014, 10:05 AM
I dunno. Like 4 billion years ago or something.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
05-10-2014, 06:47 AM
I'm not sure how many months it takes, but I say life begins when the thing inside of the girl actually looks like a baby. For the first few weeks-couple months its just a mound o cells.