When gerrymandering backfires

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2015, 07:55 AM
When gerrymandering backfires
Business owners try to remove all voters from a district, but they forgot one college student

The plan was to draw district lines in such a way that it didn't include any voters so the vote would go to property owners who want to increase sales taxes and avoid a property tax increase.

Unfortunately for them, they screwed it up and now one college student alone gets to decide what happens, and she's not happy with the way they tried to game the system.

To which I say: Laugh out load

Serves them right. Dodgy

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
28-08-2015, 08:44 AM
RE: When gerrymandering backfires
(28-08-2015 07:55 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Business owners try to remove all voters from a district, but they forgot one college student

The plan was to draw district lines in such a way that it didn't include any voters so the vote would go to property owners who want to increase sales taxes and avoid a property tax increase.

Unfortunately for them, they screwed it up and now one college student alone gets to decide what happens, and she's not happy with the way they tried to game the system.

Serves them right. Dodgy

Since two wrongs make a right (don't they? Consider ), we could start a GoFundMe to buy her vote.
Believe-you-me, that's what the business owners will try to do. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
28-08-2015, 09:34 AM
(28-08-2015 08:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 07:55 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Business owners try to remove all voters from a district, but they forgot one college student

Serves them right. Dodgy

Since two wrongs make a right (don't they? Consider ), we could start a GoFundMe to buy her vote.
Believe-you-me, that's what the business owners will try to do. Drinking Beverage

History might not repeat itself but it sure as fuck rhymes when you've got the right reactionaries in charge.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
28-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Believe it or not, Columbia MO is far and away the best city in Missouri, with the lowest rate of political corruption. That should give you some idea of what it's like to live here.

It's also home of the University of Missouri main campus, but since my Beloved graduated from one of their traditional rivals, the University of Kansas, I am obliged to state here, and for the record, "Muck Fizzou."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
28-08-2015, 10:53 AM
(28-08-2015 09:34 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 08:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  Since two wrongs make a right (don't they? Consider ), we could start a GoFundMe to buy her vote.

History might not repeat itself but it sure as fuck rhymes when you've got the right reactionaries in charge.

Quote:In Gilbert and Sullivan's Savoy opera, HMS Pinafore, Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty, boasts that 'I grew so rich that I was sent/by a Pocket Borough into Parliament'

I always wondered what that line meant, but never bothered to look it up. Thanks for the link!

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
28-08-2015, 11:10 AM
(28-08-2015 10:47 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Believe it or not, Columbia MO is far and away the best city in Missouri, with the lowest rate of political corruption. That should give you some idea of what it's like to live here.

It's also home of the University of Missouri main campus, but since my Beloved graduated from one of their traditional rivals, the University of Kansas, I am obliged to state here, and for the record, "Muck Fizzou."

Maybe that's the problem. If they had more experience being corrupt they might have gotten it right. They should hire a consultant from Chicago next time to show them how it's done.

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post